CS7 Blue cycle route London - The Police are watching you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skrx

I think the fine should be upped to at least £100.
But £100 is the fine for a car driver crashing into a cyclist. To be proportionate the fine for RLJing should be at least £1000. At least, according to the likes of the Daily Mail.

I can't stand RLJers. They're just admitting their failure to ride properly.

I've seen a lot of cyclists pulled over by the filth on CS7 in hte last week. And one car. Heaven only knows what you have to do as a motorist to get pulled over in this campaign, because I've pointed out motorised infractions to not otherwise busy Officers who have ignored them. Perhaps that one wiped his bum on a photo of the PC's mother or something.

I saw a cyclist setting off from an encounter this morning and, if he hadn't had earphones in (and been fiddling with his ipod as he was riding along, FFS!) I'd have asked him how it went when I caught up with him.

Just to reiterate: I am very happy that RLJers are being ticketed. If only they did it for all those who crash through junctions wrapped in a ton of metal, I'd be even happier.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
So far, I've seen 4 motorists pulled over and one cyclist. So from my point of view they aren't targeting us.
I've got a contact in the met, and I have been aware this policing would take place for sometime. They are there to make the roads safe for everyone, so they will fine the people they see doing wrong.

It's also not like these coppers are pcso's. They are traffic officers with great knowledge of the road. If given the chance, be polite and you may get some advice you can't buy.

I see a RLJer about once a month, I do wish the rest of you would calm down and stop exaggerating. It gives cycling a very bad image that people constantly exaggerate it.

You have a nice commute then. I have at least one a commute, almost every commute, and many more if you count those who like wobbling halfway into the junction while attempting to trackstand. And, of course, if you count pedestrian crossings, the number skyrockets - I'd estimate half the people I see daily see pedestrian crossings as fair game (irrespective of whether pedestrians are walking across at the time).

ISTR that TfL report suggesting that on the junctions measured, 84% would wait for red, so about half your guess, Lizban.

but wouldn't the junctions measured be fairly busy ones (just because you wouldn't monitor a boring one?). So, taking into account other minor junctions, I'd expect the number to be higher [note, I haven't read the report, so can't be sure how they chose them].

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
They could be on every traffic light, every day for a year / 2 years etc, they'd NEVER catch me or fine me, because I don't RLJ - simple.

Fair play to the police for doing it, but I would want pressure putting on the govt to use the money from the fines to be used on cycling infrastructure........

[was that a pig flying past my window...?]

trsleigh

In London what % do you think RLJ?

I'd guess 35% any offers?

Some mornings I'd say 40%
RLJ really annoys me too.
I expect the OP has got the message by now.:smile:

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I ride on the pavements when they are empty and the police don't care. Seriously, I have ridden on the pavement straight past a police car, on several occasions, and they don't do anything.

I think it's different in London because there are so many people. Where I live, you can ride for a mile and see perhaps five cars and one pedestrian.

I don't jump red lights ... because there aren't any!
biggrin.gif

I do live in darkest 'aaaaampshur though.

PBancroft

As has been said so many times before on this thread, we don't all jump red lights. I don't. In all honesty I do get a little offended when people assume I do - I get this quite often when people want to find a reason to criticise my choice of cycling (rather than driving) somewhere. Sure, I don't live in a big City, but still - there's really no need. It's selfish behaviour, potentially dangerous, and paints other people in a bad light.

For what its worth, however, I do see more cars run red lights than cyclists. True, I see more cars than bikes on the road, but the point remains. On this pedestrian crossing, for example, I regularly see at least one car run the red whilst a pedestrian is about to cross. The other week I counted three cars run through it, one whilst the pedestrian (me!) was halfway across the road. Maybe the motorist hadn't seen me, and thought it was "safe" to go through. Even if so a moment later and there would have been a dead or seriously injured Kaipaith. What makes me most sad about this is a matter of metres away there is a Children's Home and in the other direction there is a Sixth Form... in other words chances are when someone is hit it's going to be a kid.

I find it very hard to have any sympathy for anyone caught jumping red lights, no matter how "biased" the Police are being to one road group over another. You deserved the fine, and I hope they carry on doing it beyond six weeks.

No we don't. Some cyclists follow the rules of the road, out of consideration for themselves, others and the law.

Plus one billion.:wub:

TBH there's no defence for RLJing, but I think the police time would be better spent at various junctions where motor vehicles jump red lights. They are a bigger danger to the general public than RLJ cyclists

Why the f&ck don't they sort those morons out driving with a mobile phone glued to their ears...Im all for this busting RLJers but what about one of the biggest dangers? Mobile phones.

My guess is they all do it anyway so it's easier to turn a blind eye to motorists using mobile phones while driving.

Yes I saw the comments in the metro...How many of those hypocrites dash across the road when crossing against the red man with mobile phone glued to their ears.Morons.

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
Wow didn't realise you guys were so touchy about this subject - wish I didn't mention anything now! I was mearly trying to point out to all the hundreds that do jump lights in london (myself included) that the police are patroling that route!

I know I was in the wrong, I didn't put up a fuss or anything and acepted the fine. and no i didn't see any problem with jumping lights until now, I used to do it (in my opinion safely) but we could argue that forever and not get anywhere. People in London jump traffic lights a hell of a lot (not everyone before someone picks up on that), I didn't jump lights so much in birmingham but since moving here I guess I've picked up a bad habit!

To those I have affended today... well I'll think twice about jumping lights next time and ill think twice about warning others of the conquences if they do so as well!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Wow didn't realise you guys were so touchy about this subject - wish I didn't mention anything now! I was mearly trying to point out to all the hundreds that do jump lights in london (myself included) that the police are patroling that route!

I know I was in the wrong, I didn't put up a fuss or anything and acepted the fine. and no i didn't see any problem with jumping lights until now, I used to do it (in my opinion safely) but we could argue that forever and not get anywhere. People in London jump traffic lights a hell of a lot (not everyone before someone picks up on that), I didn't jump lights so much in birmingham but since moving here I guess I've picked up a bad habit!

To those I have affended today... well I'll think twice about jumping lights next time and ill think twice about warning others of the conquences if they do so as well!

You were such a nice bloke when you were in Brum, that's what London does to people :thumbsup:

Top Bottom