CS7 Blue cycle route London - The Police are watching you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
They could be on every traffic light, every day for a year / 2 years etc, they'd NEVER catch me or fine me, because I don't RLJ - simple.

Fair play to the police for doing it, but I would want pressure putting on the govt to use the money from the fines to be used on cycling infrastructure........

[was that a pig flying past my window...?]

You found the right thread then........:whistle:

I think they spend quite a bit on cycling infrastructure.....We have some lovely cycle lanes.:tongue:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Wow didn't realise you guys were so touchy about this subject - wish I didn't mention anything now! I was mearly trying to point out to all the hundreds that do jump lights in london (myself included) that the police are patroling that route!

It was mentioned in another thread at least a week ago that they would be out there for 6 weeks on the CSH

tr85858

What a sanctimonious bunch of comments. I'd rather the police spent their time on something worthwhile like catching bike thieves, drug dealers or rapists than picking on cyclists who jump red lights.
In many other countries it's perfectly acceptable to go through a red light if you're turning right - we should have the same system here on left turns for all traffic including cars.
In this case the law is an ass. Wouldn't life be boring if everyone followed it to the letter without ever asking why...or bravely doing their own thing

ferret fur

Wow it surely is fantastic to see the independent revolutionary spirit of youth is still aflame in this country. Such a courageous action as 'jumping red lights' for the good of all humanity! It makes you proud to be British:whistle:

Arch

Married to Night Train
In many other countries it's perfectly acceptable to go through a red light if you're turning right - we should have the same system here on left turns for all traffic including cars.

But we don't, so bog off and live somewhere else.

I passed a chap today on the way home - middle aged, riding a really nice unusual cargo bike - the sort with a big frame out the front, with a big wooden box on it, the bike in green metal flake finish. Really pretty. Was surprised I didn't know him since the bike was so distinctive.

First red we came to, he came past me, and over the line and hung about until there was a gap and then went - it was so busy that he could only go about a second before the lights changed anyway. Second red (ped crossing) he just sailed through. Lost him in town, then waiting at a red near home, he sailed past me on the outside and turned left through the red. Utter Tw*t - and in the end he didn't get very far, did he, if I saw him 3 times?

You jump lights, you get caught - good!

(I also wish a few more drivers would get done for phones and so on - but them getting away with it doesn't mean cyclists should)

Brains

Legendary Member
Are you sure it was Boris ?
If you were in the City of London, then the area is not in Boris's bailiwick.

In 2009 11% of the City traffic was cyclists
700 and something motor vehicles got fines for misdemeanors (RLJing, Mobiles, no mot/tax/insurance,, drunk driving, speeding, seatbelts, driving without due care, dangerous driving ......)
1,200 cyclists were also fined for various misdemeanors (errr, RLJ'ing and um er .....)

Go figure why the other 12,000+ motor vehicle drivers were not fined

400bhp

Guru
What exactly is it that people dislike so much?

Deeper than the statement "I don't like people jumping red lights" please.

ferret fur

What exactly is it that people dislike so much?

Deeper than the statement "I don't like people jumping red lights" please.

Er..

1: It is illegal
2: As you may have spotted from all the above: It allows all sorts of crap drivers to justify their crap driving by claiming that 'all cyclists jump red lights' Therfore all cyclists are selfish, smug w@nkers . Therefore it doesn't matter how crappily the crap driving is driving as it can't be as bad as the cyclist they have just left hooked & left lying in a heap in the road.

joolsybools

LOL I've done the same! I think I get confused when you get pedestrians crossing even when the light is green (and the man red) when there's no cars around and end up stopping. And waiting for it to turn red. Then realising I'm a numpty.

But back to the OP - I can understand your anger having just got fined for something you don't think was wrong. Hopefully from the responses you've read here you'll realise the miriad reasons why you were wrong, and won't do it again.

I tend to find that carrying on regardless (whilst giving death stares) gets pedestrians to stop when they are crossing at red lights and its your right of way. However tinkling on the bell tends to make them stride out. Conclude from that what you will.

In regards to OP:

JUMPING RED LIGHTS IS ILLEGAL AND GIVES CYCLISTS A BAD NAME - STOP IT!

Gosh this thread just keeps on growing!

al78

Guru
What a sanctimonious bunch of comments. I'd rather the police spent their time on something worthwhile like catching bike thieves, drug dealers or rapists than picking on cyclists who jump red lights.

http://en.wikipedia....i/False_dilemma

Wouldn't life be boring if everyone followed it to the letter without ever asking why...or bravely doing their own thing

No. I think you will find that crime, and fear of crime is one of the bigger drains on quality of life in this country.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

Because traffic cops are known for catching rapists.

We have traffic cops?

Oh yeah...we have traffic cops...probably no t the same cops nicking cyclists though eh?

Er..

1: It is illegal
2: As you may have spotted from all the above: It allows all sorts of crap drivers to justify their crap driving by claiming that 'all cyclists jump red lights' Therfore all cyclists are selfish, smug w@nkers . Therefore it doesn't matter how crappily the crap driving is driving as it can't be as bad as the cyclist they have just left hooked.

Definitely...all the time I get this...Road tax and why don't any of us stop at red lights...Seems selfish and pointless to me and doesn't really save a lot of time.

I have been thinking for a long time that although at times the human race can be very clever...I think the stupidity aspect ruins it a bit...Cyclists jumping red lights is the same mentality as motorists doing a dangerous pass to save a few seconds (and rushing up to the next traffic jam)......also how many times have you had a comedian jump a red light only to catch them up and be stuck behind them?

Also RLJing didn't exist when I first started commuting.AFAIK

Top Bottom