CS7 Blue cycle route London - The Police are watching you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

atbman

Veteran
As someone who' been on local radio a time or several, I'd recommend anyone who justifies RLJing, (on the grounds that they only do it safely), or hops on pavements, (otgttodis), to try and support cyclists on a phone-in programme.

Before you can get to make your points about the benefits of cycling to the individual and to society and to traffic generally, you'll have to wade thro' umpteen callers who are incandescent about the law-breaking behaviour of cyclists. The fact that they very rarely cause injuries, still less fatalities, nor do they hold up other traffic, gets lost in the static.

I have no doubt that, if such riding was extremely rare, drivers would still moan about us, but it would be much more obvious that their arguments didn't hold water. Unfortunately, RLJers and pavement riders do it sufficently often to provide non-cycling members of the public with grounds for valid criticism.

The OP's argument that he knew what was and wasn't safe is exactly the same as those drivers (safespeed anyone?) who moan about being done by a speed camera (or PC?) they didn't see and about how they know exactly when it's safe to break the speed limit.

The argument that it's safer to RLJ is nonsense. I never did it and suffered less than a handful of hooks or other dangerous behaviour over several decades of 2wheel commuting and neither did I annoy drivers by my actions. RLJers spout self-justifying rubbish - basically, it's about "saving" time and, by and large, it doesn't.

Bird Brain

Er, motorists do do this and do it much more often than cyclists do!

Rubbish.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Certainly in my neck of the woods I see far more motorists jumping red lights than cyclists. That's not to say that I never see a RLJ-ing cyclist; I do. But more often than not, it's motorists doing it. And that's irrespective of the mode of transport I'm using (feet, pedals or motor)

I think this is a London/the rest of us issue. I remember it being standard for at least two cars to go through the lights after they had gone red, in fact I almost had a taxi rear end me once because I stopped as the light went red. Since moving to Cumbria (and also when visiting family in Rotherham) I've seen far less car RLJing.

Also the lights seem (to me anyway) to have a longer period when all sides are on red in London than elsewhere, which I would suggest is a reaction to the amount of RLJing going on.

wafflycat

Go to Cambridge & the RLJ-ing is horrendous - motor & pedal cycle alike. But nearer to home, in Norfolk, I see far more motoring RLJ-ing going on, even in Norwich itself.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I have no doubt that, if such riding was extremely rare, drivers would still moan about us, but it would be much more obvious that their arguments didn't hold water. Unfortunately, RLJers and pavement riders do it sufficently often to provide non-cycling members of the public with grounds for valid criticism.

Grow up. Cyclists are an outgroup. Your basic idea is completely wrong. A shouty group of car drivers will complain loudly irrespective of danger caused/frequency/whether another group does it. It'd be big up if you'd actually acknowledge that not everybody believes the 'if cyclists behaved better we'd be respected stuff'.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Grow up. Cyclists are an outgroup. Your basic idea is completely wrong. A shouty group of car drivers will complain loudly irrespective of danger caused/frequency/whether another group does it. It'd be big up if you'd actually acknowledge that not everybody believes the 'if cyclists behaved better we'd be respected stuff'.

Um, I think you're basically violently agreeing with abtman - there are some people who'll complain, no matter what.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Um, I think you're basically violently agreeing with abtman - there are some people who'll complain, no matter what.

Good. I see things more of a case of I'd really rather people didn't do it.

Midnight

Lets face it we all jump lights

Nope, I don't.

I see many other road users RLJing, motorists, motorbikes, taxis and cyclists every day but I just smile smuggly to myself knowing that I'm far less likely to have an accident or be fined. If others want to take the risk, then more fool them! :smile:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
As a car driver and cyclist, I wonder what cyclists would say if I drove up to a red light in my car and went through it because I saw the junction clear and would be of no danger to anyone. The majority would say I should be fined and have points deducted because I broke the law. Rules are there for all road users not just those with engines.

In reality, lots of drivers go through red lights - I see more drivers than cyclists doing this on my commute, 45 mile round trip in and out of London. The difference is cyclists are an outgroup, so are panned for it, whilst most people tend to either ignore or forgive the motons.

wafflycat

In reality, lots of drivers go through red lights - I see more drivers than cyclists doing this on my commute, 45 mile round trip in and out of London. The difference is cyclists are an outgroup, so are panned for it, whilst most people tend to either ignore or forgive the motons.

As any fule noe, it's only Lycra-Lout-Psychlists wot jump red lights. Legitimate road users pay road tax and are law-abiding, much maligned and put-upon, as well as being a source of revenue for guv'n'mint. Any fule thinking they've seen a motorist RLJ must surely be fibbing or what they've seen is a psychlist in disguise! :biggrin:

On my route more cyclists jump red lights than motons.In fact it's a different type of jump...whereas they stop (if lucky) then proceed to...but most blatantly ignore the lights.Whereas the motons I see just jump through at either amber or red at speed.

Certainly in my neck of the woods I see far more motorists jumping red lights than cyclists. That's not to say that I never see a RLJ-ing cyclist; I do. But more often than not, it's motorists doing it. And that's irrespective of the mode of transport I'm using (feet, pedals or motor)

I agree that more motorists RLJ than cyclists.

The confusion arises because it's more common I reckon to see a cyclist carry on through a light that has been red for some time than a car (though certainly not unknown), whereas most motorised RLJs are the 1 2 or 3 cars that go through what they would always claim as "on amber" (for their "on amber" read "was already red")

No difference in that it is still RLJing but it does get percieved differently (incorrectly)

You can often tell other lights are turning red as cars come through faster and closer.

Top Bottom