CS7 Blue cycle route London - The Police are watching you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can we have our own variant of the Daily Mail bleating on about a "War on Cyclists"..now that the "War on Motorists" is being ended by not bothering to enforce speed limits anymore, beginning with Oxon?

Jezston

Über Member
[QUOTE 1138535"]
It's a fact of life that people jump red lights, get over it. And please stop with the ''it annoys motorists and the way they drive towards cyclists.'' This is complete nonsense. [/quote]

No it isn't, it's a very real and widespread attitude problem which would have no reason to exist were it not based on real behaviour. It's the first thing motorists say against cyclists. Stop trying to justify your own bad road behaviour and the making of our lives that little more difficult by casually and innaccurately dismissing something very real as 'complete nonsense' just because that's what you want to believe.

Origamist

Legendary Member
After this enforcement blitz is over, I'll be asking the mayor for a breakdown of the FPNs that were dished out, and to whom.

I think that would be helpful information.

I saw two motorbike cops yesterday morning - one waiting on the pavement at the lights between Tooting Bec & Balham where farkwits tend to use the pavement as a bypass lane for the lights. The other was at Stockwell booking a cyclist. Last night, I didn't see any, but I got off the CS just after Clapham because I was pigged off with the selfish gits sitting on it in their hunks of useless metal.

This morning, the same - two cops; first at Tooting Bec, the second booking a cyclist in Stockwell.

There weren't any motorised offences serious enough to point out to the static cops on either day (which they would have ignored anyway, most likely).

sunnyjim

Maybe we just need some 'sticky' threads set up for these things, for helmets. RLJing, speed cameras, etc.

A selection of ready made posts to choose from, supporting particular points of view and rubbishing everybody else woud be handy too - save having to make them up.

scouserinlondon

The funniest part of CS7 is that the effing blue paint runs out on what I consider to be the most dangerous part of it. That's the southbound interchange from the a23 to a3. I don't RLJ, but it's a joke that the fuzz are patrolling the CS7 with increased vigour. What they give with one hand they take with the other etc.

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 1138542"]
Absolutely, the first thing a motorist said to me the last time I almost come a cropper was ''Yeah but no but yeah, but you RLJ.'' I think not some how.

Telepathy is not mine or yours' strong point Jeezbob however logic is - mine. And I doubt that there are motorists out there who *hate* cyclists just because they RLJ just the same as I don't *hate* BMW drivers.
[/quote]

Lee I kind of accept your point but not totally. The topic of RLJing cyclists is at the forefront of drivers' minds. For example, whenever the topic of cycling comes up at work or in a pub and people find out that I cycle you can guarantee that someone will say "I bet you just ignore red lights don't you?". They may or may not add suitable expletives to the end depending on the person but there is a definite perception among non-cyclists that the majority of cyclists do ignore red lights.

Now I'm not sure whether this perception affects the way that people operate their cars in my vicinity, I would tend to think not but it does mean that I have to defend myself in conversation and all because some people can't be a***d to obey the law. The penalty needs to be toughened and the chances of being caught increased until people do start to obey the law, this applies to all laws that are regularly broken because people believe they can get away with it.

peteoc

The question is what do you refer to as a RLJer? I myself am possibly one, at all lights where there is no box for a cyclist I edge forward of the stop line to give me that extra bit of space to clip in before the drivers try mow me down. This is by law, wrong however as a cyclist what do you lot think?

martint235

Dog on a bike
The question is what do you refer to as a RLJer? I myself am possibly one, at all lights where there is no box for a cyclist I edge forward of the stop line to give me that extra bit of space to clip in before the drivers try mow me down. This is by law, wrong however as a cyclist what do you lot think?

Why don't you either wait in the middle of the lane in front of the first car (if you're there first) or wait in the queue like a normal road user?

Gandalf

Veteran
There is one junction on my commute where I do the same.

It is an A road crossing four lanes of dual carriageway. Unless you have an internal combustion engine or are Sir Chris Hoy, the lights have gone red again before you are safely across.

If I try to get to the front of the queue to take pole position in primary, some twonk will always scream past me at the last moment.

Trevrev

Veteran

I always hover over the stop line.......!
I'm waiting to get hung, drawn and quartered......LOL.

JoysOfSight

I'm a proliferate red light jumper.

I almost never enter an ASL via the little gutter death channel, preferring to ride straight into it (even if I'm first to a red light) rather than change lanes to the left lane, go through the little dotted bit, and then ride back across the ASL to the ahead lane again.

But you can't have your cake and eat it. This is breaking the law, to exactly the same degree as riding right through - the law only has one offence, for failing to stop at the first line when the light is not green.

People whining about being busted for jumping red lights amuse me. I think the idea that motorists will somehow love cyclists if only we stopped jumping red lights is stupid, but that doesn't change the simple fact that you're failing to obey a pretty basic law.

It's just like motorists who insist that in their judgement they are fine to drive X pints over the limit. For all I care they may be right, but I'd still have their licence for it.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
TBH there's no defence for RLJing, but I think the police time would be better spent at various junctions where motor vehicles jump red lights.
They do both in the City. At one set of lights popular for RLJing, I came through one morning and they'd pulled three or four cyclists, two cars, a van and a bus all at the same time!

Top Bottom