CTC Challenge to motorcycles in bus lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Article here.

Is this really going to happen? I was opposed to the introduction of motorcycles to bus lanes but it seems I have been proven wrong judging by the positive reports I have heard from cyclists in London, so why challenge this?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
At times i hate motorcycles in bus lanes, some speed past you and don't give you enough space etc. etc..
But at times and especially when i get into croydon, where the scheme doesn't go, i think why not be in the bus lane?

Whilst the article tries to be bias against the ctc for doing what they are doing. They do say that there is no legal standing for this to continue and it is time for people to have their opinion. Otherwise these things could go on forever. Or should i say, they quoted the CTC saying that.

Some good comments thought (along with the usual nonsense) about working together. In the long run motorcyclists in bus lanes do no harm to cyclists as long as we look out for each other.

lynx

So can we do something about bus drivers, especially bendy bus drivers, and cabs?

Thats my personal bug.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
this article is in MCN. It's probably total bullshit. Why not e-mail Roger Geffen at CTC Towers and ask?

Oh - and get rid of them. There's no reason to encourage motorcycling and the relatively tiny number of motorcyclists are both a nuisance and a threat.

What is the CTC actually contesting?

I read this part of this at least as the actual extension of the trial itself:

CTC says in its latest newsletter: ‘There is no legal provision for repeating an experimental traffic order once it reaches its 18-month expiry deadline.

'Otherwise a highway authority could repeat their “experiments” indefinitely, without ever being required to conduct formal public consultation.

davefb

Guru
only cycled 300miles on my new bike,

I was surprised how some motorcyclists do seem to be just as unforgiving to cyclists as 'some' car drivers. I was surprised by this, i'd have thought they'd have known more about the issues you'd face.

and i particularly 'enjoy' having to dodge motocyclists in the cycle lanes and asl...

amazing comments though, wow,,, maybe i should start driving my car with lack of consideration of motorbikes ?

this article is in MCN. It's probably total bullshit. Why not e-mail Roger Geffen at CTC Towers and ask?

Oh - and get rid of them. There's no reason to encourage motorcycling and the relatively tiny number of motorcyclists are both a nuisance and a threat.

I agree. Like gaz, I thought it a 'neutral' idea - giving a bit more space for everyone but it is just crap. Motorcyclists have fast-accelerating and swift stopping machines which often bully their way around the highways. Undertake / overtake - get your arm knocked as a bike accelerates just as you offer indication. Not EVERY biker, but they are a bit too rough to keep company with cyclists.
If there can't be maximum respect for bicycles then the bus lane thing is folly. Get to a set of lights and the exhaust pipe from bikes is pointing up and toward your face - why shouldn't they point downwards, for everyone's comfort by the way? (Oh - 'it's the sleek lines...sorry') And Wednesdays! Motorbikes bugger up Trafalgar Square because they don't want to pay to burn fuel in the centre of town and park their big fat butts on a bit of road - it is just so selfish. If you want the advantage of 'speed' and 'power' you f ing well pay for the privilege! Or get a bus.
I'm sure the majority of motorcyclists are responsible and are happy to take their place in the motorised cavalcade of commuters each morning. Leave the bus lane for cyclists to deal with themselves, other cyclists, buses and taxis, ta.
And stop pulling in, creating the motorised sandbar, and blowing that poxy exhaust up my nose.

OP
OP
Riding in Circles
It's not bullshit. It appears that someone at National Office or on Council has exceeded their authority. :angry:

Matters are in hand - see your email.

I checked the CTC pages to make sure it was there before I posted the link to the MCN article. I knew some of the usual suspects would not be so vigilant of course, they never are.

OP
OP
Riding in Circles
Did I mention Simon?
whistling.gif

Alan Whicker

I'm a scooterist as well as a cyclist. Maybe I'm imagining it, but there seem to be far fewer motorcycles/mopeds/scooters on the road than a couple of years back. I'm clearly biased, but I 100% agree with motorcycles being allowed in bus lanes. But yes, there are some world-class idiots out there - I've encountered them on my Vespa as well as on my Trek. Moped kidz, couriers and anyone with a number plate too small to be legal are the worst.

I wish the Police would taser-on-sight any motorbike seen in an ASL, though.
angry.gif

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I noticed before that the MCN has a bit of a thing for the CTC and especially the LCC. A previous article on there was pretty badly written and seemed to point a finger at the wrong people. I see this one has incorrectly pointed out the CTC and has remained unchanged in the 5 days its been up. Not good practice.

As a whole I dont see the issue with motorcyclists sharing. However seeing the many, many videos on youtube of how bikers treat cyclists in the London area it seems as if the MCN are taking the same, dire "poor little put-upon motorist" line as other publications.

I do see no point however in extending the trial. Either do it or dont, they've had their study, it went well enough.

StuartG

slower but further
But what of we - who both ride powered and unpowered two wheelers?

Are we best placed to see both sides and can balance sharing the pain of all two wheelers against the dominance lethal force of 4+ wheelers? Hence I vote for co-existence.

Top Bottom