CTC Challenge to motorcycles in bus lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Riding in Circles
But what of we - who both ride powered and unpowered two wheelers?

Are we best placed to see both sides and can balance sharing the pain of all two wheelers against the dominance lethal force of 4+ wheelers? Hence I vote for co-existence.

I ride both as well and think mixing the two is a recipe for disaster.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
yup - it appears that the Campaigns department has gone in to bat with CDF cash without consulting

- Councillors
- Local Groups
- London Region CTC

so, to be honest Catrike, I am embarrassed. And outraged. Our DA has contributed money to the CDF, and I can't see it happening again on my watch. If the LCC want to go to court, fine and dandy, but the CTC is supposed to be some kind of a democracy, and it would appear that the Campaigns Department (which has strong personal links with the LCC) has taken in to it's head that charity status means that the membership doesn't matter any more.

I don't want to see motorbikes in bus lanes, but I cannot for the life of me see the virtue in risking thousands of pounds on a court action, when Johnson is clearly set on proceeding.

OP
OP
Riding in Circles
I am not at all familiar with the CTC, I try to avoid the political issues of becoming involved with pressure groups, while membership is not out of the question, I tend to join these things to give a touch of support rather than to be active in any way myself. Usually democracy is sacrificed at some stage for the needs of the few to get their faces in the paper.

gbs

Guru
On a related issue: this is what I posted over on the CTC forum last weekend.

CYCLISTS DO NOT MATTER by gbs » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:59 am
I was half-listening to LBC yesterday whilst preparing lunch and heard an advisory message from presumably a road safety organisation. The key messages were
1) motorcyclists are allowed to use bus lanes and 2) they are not as visible as a bus so take extra care if you are turning left across a bus lane. No mention of the humble pedal pusher!

Can anyone confirm or contradict my recollection? CTC think it may be a TfL message.

jonesy

Guru

I was half-listening to LBC yesterday whilst preparing lunch and heard an advisory message from presumably a road safety organisation. The key messages were
1) motorcyclists are allowed to use bus lanes and 2) they are not as visible as a bus so take extra care if you are turning left across a bus lane. No mention of the humble pedal pusher!

Can anyone confirm or contradict my recollection? CTC think it may be a TfL message.

I believe the reason for this campaign is that the initial evaluations of the trial found an increase in incidents between motorcyclists in the bus lane and drivers turning across it. Presumably in part because motorcycles go faster than other traffic so will become a hazard more quickly if not seen by drivers not expecting them to be there. So it is specifically about motorbikes which is why cyclists aren't mentioned.

I mentioned this ad to Origamist on the last Whitstable ride, gbs, expressing the same 'concern' that the word cyclist would not have cost any extra to include!
In the last couple of days however, I have heard - adjacent to traffic reports - a cycle specific advert, where a motorist is mentally running through a checklist of things to be aware of and 'describing same ('Hmm, I wonder if I'll get home to see Emmerdale...did I bring my sausages out of work or are they still on the table...cor, I fancy that Tracey in Accounts...etc...) -not quite so trite but...we know what the 'reality' of drivers is...
But anyway, it IS cycle specific, but I have no idea of the 'owners'. TfL? I'll write to LBC if I can remember.

I have remembered another one. Stopping in front of me, under any circumstance, on a bike which has the exhausts routed up under the seat and pointed at my face. With larger four stroke engined ones you can pretty much feel individual puffs of exhaust on your face from several feet away. Thinking about it though, these must be coming in waves made up of the exhaust gas from several engine revolutions because the rate is way slower than the engine spins.

I refer my extremely valued friend to post #9 of this thread which just goes to show that great minds etc... :smile:

OP
OP
Riding in Circles
It sounds like this issue has started to show the cracks forming in the CTC, it is a shame that the organisation has found its way to this point but as I already stated, most groups eventually find themselves in such a place at some point or other.

henshaw11

I have remembered another one. Stopping in front of me, under any circumstance, on a bike which has the exhausts routed up under the seat and pointed at my face. With larger four stroke engined ones you can pretty much feel individual puffs of exhaust on your face from several feet away. Thinking about it though, these must be coming in waves made up of the exhaust gas from several engine revolutions because the rate is way slower than the engine spins.

It's even worse in the the confines of a car ferry when the tw*t in front of you in a row of bikes decides he has to get his bike warmed up well in advance of anything moving - it's literally eye-watering from all the nasties in the exhaust fumes :sad:

jonesy

Guru

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
In line with this increased enforcement, the average speed for motorcyclists in bus lanes reduced by 6.5 per cent during the trial, with the proportion of motorcyclists exceeding the speed limit decreasing by one fifth (51 per cent in September 2010 down to 41 per cent in September 2011).
It still seems that speeding is acceptable, that is with police enforcement.

Top Bottom