CTC, Cycling UK.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
I categorize charity careerists as people who get paid substantial salaries and build a career working for many different charities with no real connection with or motivation for the charity concerned. They may be effective administrators but essentially it a means to an end for them - a decent salary. I would contrast this with someone I know, who set a dog rescue centre because she cares passionately about dogs welfare and it is pretty much her whole life. Or take people who help to run Audax UK - they are people helping out with the primary motivation of supporting long distance cycling and Audax because they have a passionate interest in the subject and can bring some skills to help out for very little in return and certainly not a six figure package.

Venod

Eh up
I was a member when it was the CTC I wasn't a cycle tourist, I joined for the third party cover, when it became a charity it didn't bother me at all, but it seemed to upset a lot of people.
From my observations it seems to have done a lot more for cycling since it has become a charity, which can only be a good thing.

PK99

Legendary Member
I just got my letter today. I think my rise in cost does not come in until 2021 so I have one more year at current price. I only keep my membership for insurance and also too idle to search around for alternatives but this may be the last straw as I have nothing in common with the present organisation.

Wiggle offer cheaper insurance

Drago

Legendary Member
I was a member when it was the CTC I wasn't a cycle tourist, I joined for the third party cover, when it became a charity it didn't bother me at all, but it seemed to upset a lot of people.
From my observations it seems to have done a lot more for cycling since it has become a charity, which can only be a good thing.
I have to say Mr Nod that I largely agree.

However, their chipwrapper is a waste of trees, and I only really stuck with them for the insurance. Even a prece rise of 3 or 4 quid would make it cheaper just to buy standalone insurance, and the charity then doesn't benefit at all, so if mine goes up I'll jump ship and theyll lose out. From what I'm hearing I'm not alone in taking that view, its probably a bit short sighted of them and betrays a lack of understanding of the motivation behind a noteworthy proportion of their membership.

In my view it's Ill considered, but time will tell.

Exlaser2

Veteran
I am just about to unwrap my chip wrapper and I will enjoy reading every page .😀

Top Bottom