CTC, Cycling UK.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
One of the big recent successes of CUK is getting the Dutch reach into the Highway Code.

Drago

Legendary Member
One of the big recent successes of CUK is getting the Dutch reach into the Highway Code.
Fair point. Thats more than BC have ever managed.

Conversely, if riders, be they CUK or BC members or otherwise, took the time to learn some roadcraft they wouldn't be cycling in the door zone (death zone in the US) in the first place.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
CTC mag ( ok Cycle) arrived today ,avoided page 50 thanks Drago, turned to page 24 the legend that is C J is back. All is not lost at CUK , the we are now a charity mob haven’t entirely taken over . Chris Juden with I can get shimano components to work together that mr shimano never meant to. Great I have this warm fuzzy feeling.

Last edited:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
CJ is a champ. He campaigned and succeeded in getting mudguard manufacturers to change the front guard to snap off in the event of a twig or similar getting stuck between tyre and mguard.

Thus reducing the likelihood of the front wheel jamming and causing the rider to fly over the handebars.

Drago

Legendary Member
He now needs to campaign to get forks removed from bicycles, so debris cant get picked up by the tyre and rammed into the fork crown, causing a nasty off. Seen the aftermath of this, messy.

CJ is a champ. He campaigned and succeeded in getting mudguard manufacturers to change the front guard to snap off in the event of a twig or similar getting stuck between tyre and mguard.

Thus reducing the likelihood of the front wheel jamming and causing the rider to fly over the handebars.
top achievement - i was going downhill in bowland just before lockdown when my front mudgaurd detached - it happenned before I even knew there was a problem with an obstruction. Pulled over, checked twig had fled, popped guard back into place and carried on. SKS guard.

lane

Veteran
Well I got my magazine just now and also my VOTING PAPERS for the AGM where we get to VOTE on if the senior discount should be removed.

I am torn on this. I think it will cause a significant number of people to leave CUK and I also imagine that the demographic tends to be older. On the other hand I don't really see why pensioners who often are not hard up should get discounts and free TV licence although they obviously feel very entitled in many cases.

Also don't understand why people have a letter telling them of the increase before it has been agreed?

Venod

Eh up
Imagine my dismay at getting to page 50 to see a picture of Chris Boredom gurning back at me.

CTC mag ( ok Cycle) arrived today ,avoided page 50 thanks Drago

I have to ask, what is the problem with Chris Boredman ? he seems to be on the side of cyclists, he even views the emphasis on the wearing of helmets a distraction from the more important issues of cycling safety.

Venod

Eh up
Also don't understand why people have a letter telling them of the increase before it has been agreed?

Yes it baffled me as well, I suppose its a way of saying this is the way we want you to vote.

I too am torn on the issue of removing the over 65 rate, there will be a lot of members affected by this, to some it won't make any difference, but to a lot retirement means a reduced income and spending has to be regulated to refect this, if your sole income is the state pension then you can get the reduced rate, but if that is your only income would you want to spend any of it on membership ?

Drago

Legendary Member
I have to ask, what is the problem with Chris Boredman ? he seems to be on the side of cyclists, he even views the emphasis on the wearing of helmets a distraction from the more important issues of cycling safety.
Chris Boredom? He makes Edmund King seem level headed and charismatic. Hes got better in recent years, but his earlier strident bleatings did little to help our cause. Then for a while he was the cycling tsar tasked with increasing awareness and uptake, while at the time refusing to cycle on the road himself - I can understand the emotion behind that, but there was zero logic to it, and that wasn't a great advert for those considering taking up cycling to work that the man urging them to do so was refusing to himself.

Having said that, CUK haven't found anyone better to up their cause. They need to get Alan Sugar on the case - charismatic, forthright, entertaining, keen to actually ride on the road himself. Sadly, I doubt Al needs the money.

lane

Veteran
Yes it baffled me as well, I suppose its a way of saying this is the way we want you to vote.

I too am torn on the issue of removing the over 65 rate, there will be a lot of members affected by this, to some it won't make any difference, but to a lot retirement means a reduced income and spending has to be regulated to refect this, if your sole income is the state pension then you can get the reduced rate, but if that is your only income would you want to spend any of it on membership ?

Never mind baffled it is just wrong. The magazine also gives the impression it is a foregone conclusion. This suggests to me a serious lack of respect for the members and their votes. I have voted against - we get 4 votes due to our household membership.

Top Bottom