CTC, Cycling UK.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
A real Postman has just been,he has delivered a letter from Cycling UK.Stating The current senior discounted rate for over 65 year olds will no longer be available on my renewal.
So an extra £17 per year to be with them.Anyone else had their letter,the rest of you who are you with,how much and what help do you get.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Time to bin the SPD sandals then. :laugh:

Used to be a member but joined london cycling campain when i returned to london.
Not really sure what they do these days, seem to be all but invisible.
Not aware of them for instance being very vocal on the mess of bikes on trains, in particular the east coast line.
Seems to me that they risk losing a lot of members.
Had impression that they have a rather aged profile anyway, can't help but think they would be better trying to rustle up more young members.
Thanks for starting the thread.

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
There has been a lot of discussion about this on other forums and facebook. As I understand it this is going to be voted on and there are soem voting papers in some magazine somewhere, although as a member of CUK I don't seem to have had anything personally.

Venod

Eh up
I have the letter but knew about the changes, it had been in their weekly cycle clips email, I will remain a member and pay the extra £17.00 there are reduced subscriptions for people who meet the criteria.
They do a lot for cylcing, I chose these over BCF as they cater more for the ordinary cyclist with no sport connections.
I don't know about the age profile of the membership, I am old.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Quick update,As an HSBC account holder,i can get a discount on British Cycling membership.So a fee of £23-50p for the year with all benefits except the magazine,also Mrs P is going to join,so a saving at this household.

Drago

Legendary Member
I get the half price carers membership. If they bin that off they lose me as a punter as it's cheaper to buy insurance that pay full price for their cover.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Some of you might think cheapskate.Mrs P has never had insurance cover,and i would like her to have some.So instead of £96 it is now going to be £47.
Virgin,Sky all others never give discounts for loyalty,they expect you to suck it up.But there comes a time when you say,why and look elsewhere.It was late 1980's i joined the CTC i also had a group cover 1990-2000 for my works team.So it looks like British Cycling via HSBC from November.

I have the letter but knew about the changes, it had been in their weekly cycle clips email, I will remain a member and pay the extra £17.00 there are reduced subscriptions for people who meet the criteria.
They do a lot for cylcing, I chose these over BCF as they cater more for the ordinary cyclist with no sport connections.
I don't know about the age profile of the membership, I am old.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/
They do considerably more for the non-sports rider than BC do. Their weekly email usually lists more "good stuff" (especially at local level) than BC announce in a year. Saint Chris of Boardman does give the impression that BC do great things, but he is following his own admirable instincts.

If you speak to people such as local road-race organisers, they don't have a very high opinion of BC either! They have a huge profile at the moment thanks to winning races on TV; but note that has mainly been due to Murdoch money.

If you're only looking at the value-for-money of the insurance/benefits, there is not much to choose between them. But don't try to persuade me that CyclingUK don't do much for cyclists in this country :P

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A real Postman has just been,he has delivered a letter from Cycling UK.Stating The current senior discounted rate for over 65 year olds will no longer be available on my renewal.
So an extra £17 per year to be with them.Anyone else had their letter,the rest of you who are you with,how much and what help do you get.
I just got my letter today. I think my rise in cost does not come in until 2021 so I have one more year at current price. I only keep my membership for insurance and also too idle to search around for alternatives but this may be the last straw as I have nothing in common with the present organisation.

Top Bottom