CTC forum thread on 'Charity' status

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
The rescheduled CTC Cymru AGM is on Saturday in Llandrindod. Thanks to the change of date, we now get reinforcements from the Yes campaign - David Robinson will be joining KM. Any other Welsh CCers going?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
theclaud said:
The rescheduled CTC Cymru AGM is on Saturday in Llandrindod. [...] Any other Welsh CCers going?

;)

I'll take that as a "No", then! So much for the CycleChat booze-up afterwards...

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
theclaud said:
:wacko:

I'll take that as a "No", then! So much for the CycleChat booze-up afterwards...

I'm sure dell' could organise some '80s style flying pickets to spice things up. I look quite handy in a donkey jacket, but Hampshire to Wales is a bit of a trek in the back of a rusty transit.

I notice that another Newsnet has failed to go large on the charity issue. Wild speculation, but do you think that the anti campaign has gathered sufficient momentum that the powers are worried that raising the profile of the vote may now be counterproductive? It might be a better tactic for them to play it down as administrative housekeeping, rather than a fundamental change to the club.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Bollo said:
I'm sure dell' could organise some '80s style flying pickets to spice things up. I look quite handy in a donkey jacket, but Hampshire to Wales is a bit of a trek in the back of a rusty transit.

I notice that another Newsnet has failed to go large on the charity issue. Wild speculation, but do you think that the anti campaign has gathered sufficient momentum that the powers are worried that raising the profile of the vote may now be counterproductive? It might be a better tactic for them to play it down as administrative housekeeping, rather than a fundamental change to the club.
the current plan is...

'Cycle' goes big on the AGM - message from the Chair, blah-blah-blah. Massive e-mail campaign from 'pro' Councillors, 'nay' Councillors told to boil their heads. Big articles in as much cycling press as they can manage, which, given the cross-marketing deals, is a lot. 'Pro' Councillors inviting themselves to DA committee meetings. More personal attacks on yrs truly, Greg and John. Communique from National Office saying 'nay' campaign accepts accounts as true and complete after meeting on 25th Feb

Nay campaign mostly consists of looking beautiful, loving everybody and circulating internal papers from CTC Towers. E-mail barrage after next issue of 'Cycle' (but please note ours will be well written, to the point, and totally amusing as opposed to theirs which will be pointless miserable complaining dirges). Devilishly clever demolition of CTC accounting standards after meeting on 25th Feb. Complete absence of personal abuse despite Arthur Spoor being a complete twat.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
dellzeqq said:
the current plan is...

'Cycle' goes big on the AGM - message from the Chair, blah-blah-blah. Massive e-mail campaign from 'pro' Councillors, 'nay' Councillors told to boil their heads. Big articles in as much cycling press as they can manage, which, given the cross-marketing deals, is a lot. 'Pro' Councillors inviting themselves to DA committee meetings. More personal attacks on yrs truly, Greg and John. Communique from National Office saying 'nay' campaign accepts accounts as true and complete after meeting on 25th Feb

Nay campaign mostly consists of looking beautiful, loving everybody and circulating internal papers from CTC Towers. E-mail barrage after next issue of 'Cycle' (but please note ours will be well written, to the point, and totally amusing as opposed to theirs which will be pointless miserable complaining dirges). Devilishly clever demolition of CTC accounting standards after meeting on 25th Feb.

I look forward to weighing each submission carefully, before not changing my mind one bit. And that to a certain degree is why I don't think the AGM is particularly relevant. Those present are likely to be long standing, committed members who'll have been tuned into the pro and anti arguments for long enough to firm up their opinions.

The info-war beforehand is much more important and its not one the inner party seem to have handled well as far as I can see. They've certainly not engaged with punters to any great extent outside their own playpen, which I don't think does them any favours. I'm interested to see how they'll spin the cycling press because I can't claim to have noticed the CTC ever having a great presence in the paper-shop publications (the comic, C+, etc). Still, if there's money in it......

dellzeqq said:
Complete absence of personal abuse despite Arthur Spoor being a complete twat.

I just couldn't keep track of what he was trying to say (in which I claim the forum's first English/Dutch pun - 'teef, the gauntlet has been thrown). I did enjoy his Palin-like riffing on the London Liberal elite though. He does seem a bit of an @rsehole, although I may be doing both bums and voids a bit of a disservice.

Finally, just for giggles never ever talk about your membership of the CTC outside the UK........

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
User said:
With luck it'll be back up and running by the end of the week - either that or I'm going after the hosting company with some specially sharpened spokes...

Okay. Happy to link to it, or help in ant other way.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Blimey, get a move on chaps. I'll link it in my newsletter if you get it up in time, else it'll only be the next one. (7k recipients, many of whom cycle).

theclaud

Openly Marxist
User said:
Right.... hosting and domain name problems have been sorted.

The basic redesign has been sorted.

With luck, the web-site will be back up and running by Friday! ;)

Good show, Reggers!

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
After all this so called mess has settled down and the CTC turns into a charity ??, can you see many "anti charity" members leaving the club. What is the worse case scenario of turning into a charity? Would the members not have to pay a membership fee but just donate what they feel like donating to join:ohmy:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Bump!

How did the meeting of the 25th go, Simon?

mosesHeston2703_468x611.jpg
or
chamberlain-munich-conference-1938.jpg

Top Bottom