CTC forum thread on 'Charity' status

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
BigSteev I'll stand you pint you get one before me, and I've emailed my DA/local sectin and my councillors. ;)

Maybe the CTC email system doesn't have a 'Reply' button:laugh:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
BigSteev said:
I wonder when/if I'll get an e-mail from anyone at CTC.
where do you live. If you're a Londoner then there's a reason - Greg (User) and Helen weren't invited to the e-mail party. I wonder why?

Greg - did you hear anything yet? I'm going to be a bit peeved if you haven't.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
dellzeqq said:
Greg - did you hear anything yet? I'm going to be a bit peeved if you haven't.

I don't think I'd like to see you peeved. But I cannot tell a lie. Not a dickie bird either by way of reply to my e-mails or 'spontaneous' pro-active contact.

I reckon you've been blackballed and I've been no balled.;)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
theclaud said:
Hilarious! Can anyone help me out with the meaning of this?

"Our seeking only to be part of the transport lobby would clearly be myopic, cyclists aren’t physically engineered they’re educated so!"

I was checking e-mail recently and I came across this and found it pretty funny too.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
theclaud said:
Hilarious! Can anyone help me out with the meaning of this?

"Our seeking only to be part of the transport lobby would clearly be myopic, cyclists aren’t physically engineered they’re educated so!"

It reminded me of the instructions for a coffee grinder I once bought that promised "a flavour-saving shape of ellipse".

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Aperitif said:
yeah, that one really worked, didn't it! And the really odd thing is that the pro-takeover Councillors have left the CTC forum alone, with the honourable exceptions of John Catt and Simon Connell. Where is David Robinson? Does he still exist?

ALL IS NOT WELL AT THE CTC - CALLING ALL CYCLISTS’

ALL IS NOT WELL AT THE CTC

CALLING ALL CYCLISTS’

YOU are aware that the CTC (Cyclists’ Touring Club) at its AGM is purposing conversion to full charitable status?

AGAINST CONVERSION
http://www.savethectc.org.uk/
http://savethectc.blogspot.com/
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=38

FOR CONVERSATION
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=5355

CTC ANURAL GENERAL MEETING (AGM)

on Saturday 15th May 2010 at University of Loughborough
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3416

Cycling 4 ALL says No Bike No Life:

Philip Benstead
Email: philipbenstead1@gmail.com

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the hot news is that we've been invited to a meeting at National Office. If nothing else it's a chance to compare misapprehensions

theclaud

Openly Marxist
dellzeqq said:
the hot news is that we've been invited to a meeting at National Office. If nothing else it's a chance to compare misapprehensions

Interesting! Better take a few meaty confreres along, just in case. When's that happening?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
we've been offered 25th Feb, which I can't do, it being a certain birthday, and Greg can't do either, so it will probably be the week after.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Dellzeqq travels to Guildford for talks, a compromise is reached, he returns to London triumphant, dismounts from his bike, waving the piece of paper detailing the agreement, forums erupts with cheers, a year later the Club is annexed by the Trust......

.....sorry. couldn't resist it. Does HQ have a basement. Make sure you tell someone what time you expect to be home so we can send out search parties if you go awol.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
GregCollins said:
Dellzeqq travels to Guildford for talks, a compromise is reached, he returns to London triumphant, dismounts from his bike, waving the piece of paper detailing the agreement, forums erupts with cheers, a year later the Club is annexed by the Trust......

.....sorry. couldn't resist it. Does HQ have a basement. Make sure you tell someone what time you expect to be home so we can send out search parties if you go awol.

...or shuffles back on to the forum and recommends the change of status in a flat monotone, a faint scar glistening below the peak of his Rapha cap.

Should be interesting, although it's difficult to see that anyone's mind is going to changed.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the problem is that being told that something is going to be done - to breathe some life in to the volunteer movement, or to ensure that membership services are run well, or to demonstrate value for money - is fine and dandy, but demonstrating it takes time.

I know I'm getting wearied by the entire thing, but all of this kerfuffle and panic was completely avoidable. Had soundings been taken beforehand we could have worked out some assurances, considered some alternatives (Community Interest Companies for projects, for example), agreed a regime for donations to the Trust and satisfied almost everybody - me included, but, more importantly the RtR movement and the stalwarts in the DAs.

At root it's just bloody carelessness - a failure to listen.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Ooooh! Newsnet just pinged into my inbox and the Charity proposal is back as its number one item. The text of the newsletter itself has managed to avoid a propagandist approach, but the page it links to is unbelievable! The bold is mine.

"CTC Council will present the 2010 CTC AGM with two proposals.
The first will propose that the original CTC – Cyclists‘ Touring Club – becomes a charity.
The second proposal will be the modifications to our constitution (CTC’s Memorandum and Articles of Association) that enable us to meet the requirements of the Charity Commission.
When this is completed the current CTC Charitable Trust will merge with Cyclists’ Touring Club to form one membership charity.
The Council's Position
We have arrived at this proposal after:
Achieving record membership, influence and financial strength from five years experience of working partly as a charity.
Inviting expert consultants, financial advisors, lawyers and members to consider the proposals and make alternative suggestions.
Taking feedback from member groups, member surveys and a campaign that has set itself up to oppose the change.
At this point the Council can assure members
That there are real benefits for the club and for members in becoming a full charity.
That the Council has addressed the comments made by the campaign against the changes and found that they are either commenting in issues that are completely unaffected by the changes or they are making accusations about finances that have not been substantiated when scrutinised."

Go back to sleep everyone - your Council has everything under control. Nothing to see here. I see the proposal is now in two parts, presented in what seems like the wrong order - is this a technicality to flummox the proxy voting process?

Top Bottom