CTC whats it all about?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rsvdaz

I have seen a few mentions on here with regards to CTC more so where someone has been knocked off their bike..however on the CTC websites when you click membership benefits it gives you details of some discounts..probably all of them I would never need...so what will i get with a family membership?

PK99

Legendary Member
rsvdaz said:
I have seen a few mentions on here with regards to CTC more so where someone has been knocked off their bike..however on the CTC websites when you click membership benefits it gives you details of some discounts..probably all of them I would never need...so what will i get with a family membership?

key benefits:

3rd party insurance

free assistance and solicitor in making a claim if you have an accident

Arch

Married to Night Train
Plus there is the aspect of being in the club, part of something. The magazine.

I mainly just like being in it, a sort of affiliation.

rsvdaz said:
The same - for each family member, and a chance for the whole family to vote NO to Charity/Trust/Quango at the upcoming AGM (for a bit more info here:-)
http://79.170.44.128/savethectc.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=1
:biggrin:

ELL

Über Member
I joined CTC yesterday after about 10 months of saying I would. main reasons are the insurance and legal cover. I think if you are spending a bit of time on them road on a bike insurance is a good idea.

Helly79

I also joined yesterday after a year thinking about it, I do like the idea of the insurance, legal cover. also the 10% discounts and other info

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
And they have regular club/social runs .

I have yet to join one as i am busy with sorting house moving stuff out,spending the bank holiday weekend going through the house chucking stuff out that has gathered over the last 11 years.Charity shop will love it , its all ok stuff just never used but if i did a car boot i would be there all day to make £20 profit .

paddy01

Just looking at joining myself, although heaving read both opposing arguments for the Club to merge with the Trust and the whole to become a charitable organisation I might just wait until after the AGM later this month before deciding.

Strongly recommend any current members to read up on what's happening, there's a thread in the campaigning section on here.

e-rider

crappy member
you get to join CTC rides on a weekly basis (if they take place near you).

It is 3rd party insurance! Free legal advice could be useful though.

jay clock

Massive member
You can get a 10% discount if you have a beard. And a further 10% discount for possession of sandals. If you are partial to real ale, plus the beard and sandals they give you free membership.....

In all seriousness they do a good campaigning job. Reading their mag they do have a tendency towards the traditional end of the cycling demographic. Admin-wise they have never been very hot - renewing other than by DD could not be done online last time I looked.

jay clock said:
You can get a 10% discount if you have a beard. And a further 10% discount for possession of sandals. If you are partial to real ale, plus the beard and sandals they give you free membership.....

Nah! You've got to ride wearing tweed knickerbockers and fairisle stockings, and have at least 3 cake and tea cafe stops (not spending more than £1.25 per stop) on any ride over 60 miles) before getting anywhere near free membership :blush:
jay clock said:
In all seriousness they do a good campaigning job. Reading their mag they do have a tendency towards the traditional end of the cycling demographic. Admin-wise they have never been very hot - renewing other than by DD could not be done online last time I looked.

BigSteev

jay clock said:
renewing other than by DD could not be done online last time I looked.

Having renewed only a week or so ago, it does appear that you can now do it using a debit or credit card.

PK99

Legendary Member
Yorkshireman said:
Nah! You've got to ride wearing tweed knickerbockers and fairisle stockings, and have at least 3 cake and tea cafe stops (not spending more than £1.25 per stop) on any ride over 60 miles) before getting anywhere near free membership :biggrin:

Some of the Cheam and Morden CTC mideweek wayfarers are considering a monthly century ride after last month's successful century to Shorham and back - average speed 12.5, oldest rider in his late 70's. One of the group is off to to LEJOG over 8 days is a few weeks time.

ashtons99

Im not sure about the insurance, as I see it 3rd party does nothing for you as a member, just pays out anyone unlucky enough to get under your wheels. I cant see anywhere where you are looked after for any 1st party insurance other than legal advice. The benefit seems to be the eating of cakes every 5 miles.!!

Ive had 12 months with them and bailed out, I got the distinct feeling from the local group that anyone under 50 capable of going faster than 15mph was something of an inconvenience to them

Top Bottom