Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc Road - mudguard compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Thinking of getting this model in the sales: https://www.cube.eu/en/products/road-race/attain/cube-attain-gtc-pro-disc-greynflashred-2016/ as my new commuting rig, but I'm not sure if standard mudguards will fit the hidden frame bosses. Cube appear to offer a proprietary mudguard, but I'd really like to employ SKS Longboards.

Does anyone have any experience of this model and fitting other guards than those offered by Cube?

777200_light.jpg

Last edited:

Goggs

Guru
I can't see that anything else would work very well. Perhaps brackets could be bent to fit but I'm not sure. Beautiful bike though.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Thinking of getting this model in the sales: https://www.cube.eu/en/products/road-race/attain/cube-attain-gtc-pro-disc-greynflashred-2016/ as my new commuting rig, but I'm not sure if standard mudguards will fit the hidden frame bosses. Cube appear to offer a proprietary mudguard, but I'd really like to employ SKS Longboards.

Does anyone have any experience of this model and fitting other guards than those offered by Cube?

View attachment 146113
The only picture I could find was in the RCUK review, the standard ones do not look too bad and use the hidden mounts, the rear looks fine but you could extend the front one using a flap or one of the milk bottle extensions. http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Cubeguard-Attain-Disc-Mudguard-Set_88066.htm

It looks like the rear does attach to the BB area like normal so is a full guard but you would need to get around the no brake bridge and the I assume hidden fork\chainstay mounts.

I would see what the Cube dealer says to showing you the bike with the mudguards on it and get a feel for it, they do look okay to me but difficult to tell how sturdy they are.

My bike a GT Grade uses a plastic clip on brake bridge, but uses standard mudguard mounts on the fork/chainstay I have had no problems with the plastic clip on bridge.

From RCUK

upload_2016-10-1_13-51-13.png

Goggs

Guru
Am I weird in actually preferring the look of a bike with mudguards as opposed to without? I think that looks great.

Last edited:

Andrew_P

Am I weird in actually preferring the look of a bike with mudguards as opposed to without? I think that looks great.
Yeah I think it does look ok, the only problem I would have would be getting wet feet still from the short front guard.

I wouldn't want someone to splash the cash on the basis of this but looking at it I reckon if you bought the Cube mudguards you could use their parts to adapt a set of normal guards. They both look like the supports bolt on the gizmo that attaches to the hidden guard mounts. You would just need to shorten them a bit

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Check the CUBE website. You can find their mudguards designed specially for the bikes. I'm, a Cube owner too

Yes, I know about the about the Cube proprietary mudguard – but I would rather avoid it if possible as I have no idea of its robustness (I have a long commute over some rough roads and canal paths). As it stands, it looks decidedly plastic and is too short (I hope it could take a flap up front). If someone can reassure me that they are tough and will not snap after 6 months - please speak up!

Given that no one else has attempted a bodge with standard mudguards, I’m now thinking about the Pinnacle 5 or 6, Kona Roadhouse/Esatto DDL or the Synapse Adventure (which comes with sturdy looking aluminium guards). BTW, I did email Cube and am awaiting a reply.

@Andrew_P – thanks for your help. I’m not sure I want to risk buying the bike and then have to deal with mudguard issues and fettling straight off the bat - with uncertain results.

Goggs

Guru
This shop..

http://www.cyclistdiscount.co.uk/-accessories-

..is listed as a Cube dealer & I think it's pretty close to you. Why not phone them up and see if they have the mudguards in stock? Pay them a visit and see if they're up to scratch.

Andrew_P

Yes, I know about the about the Cube proprietary mudguard – but I would rather avoid it if possible as I have no idea of its robustness (I have a long commute over some rough roads and canal paths). As it stands, it looks decidedly plastic and is too short (I hope it could take a flap up front). If someone can reassure me that they are tough and will not snap after 6 months - please speak up!

Given that no one else has attempted a bodge with standard mudguards, I’m now thinking about the Pinnacle 5 or 6, Kona Roadhouse/Esatto DDL or the Synapse Adventure (which comes with sturdy looking aluminium guards). BTW, I did email Cube and am awaiting a reply.

@Andrew_P – thanks for your help. I’m not sure I want to risk buying the bike and then have to deal with mudguard issues and fettling straight off the bat - with uncertain results.
I was in the same situation this time last year, for years I had put up with using a road bike with raceblades etc and hated it in the winter, I was leaning towards a Merida 5000 disc which only took special mudguards I took the view that they would probably end up as a 6 monthly consumable much like tyres and as long as they kept me dry and last 3+ months I was getting value.

Then I looked at the GT Grade and it qualified on most things and seemed a reasonable compromise for winter riding, I ended up getting the Ultegra version and to be honest it has been a brilliant bike and for the first time in 5 years I have two perfect bikes for all seasons. I have had the Grade running 30mm S-One tubeless tyres and still had full mudguards. They don't rattle or wobble give full protecyion and are now a year old and not been touched since they were put on, luxury!

It got rave reviews on Bikeradar and Wiggle sometimes have cracking deal on ex-demo one. Bias opinion would be it is the perfect commuter

Last edited:
OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
I was in the same situation this time last year, for years I had put up with using a road bike with raceblades etc and hated it in the winter, I was leaning towards a Merida 5000 disc which only took special mudguards I took the view that they would probably end up as a 6 monthly consumable much like tyres and as long as they kept me dry and last 3+ months I was getting value.

Then I looked at the GT Grade and it qualified on most things and seemed a reasonable compromise for winter riding, I ended up getting the Ultegra version and to be honest it has been a brilliant bike and for the first time in 5 years I have two perfect bikes for all seasons. I have had the Grade running 30mm S-One tubeless tyres and still had full mudguards. They don't rattle or wobble give full protecyion and are now a year old and not been touched since they were put on, luxury!

It got rave reviews on Bikeradar and Wiggle sometimes have cracking deal on ex-demo one. Bias opinion would be it is the perfect commuter

On purely aesthetic grounds, I had dismissed the GT Grade, but I have seen some 2016 models on offer. I'll take a second look...thanks

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Winston1192 - how do you find the guards? Any rattles or problems so far? What size frame is that - 56 or 58?

I'm really taken with the Cube. At a touch over 1000 quid, the spec is really good for the money. If the guards Cube make are OK, I'll go for it.

Top Bottom