Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc Road - mudguard compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm 6-1 and the frame is a 60 but it did feel a bit of a stretch at first due to the long hoods, I fixed that with different bars and am now used to it. It isn't the lightest bike but it's very comfortable especially after I put the carbon post on it and I have took some KOMs of the tdy lads on my 40 mile round trip to work and back. It loves to descend as I've had it on 30% hills of the North York moors, as far as the guards go they went on nice and easy and are light, but only done a 40 mile run in light rain and 30mph winds but no complains as the bike came back reasonably clean, just make sure there fitted with a torque wrench

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
I'm 6-1 and the frame is a 60 but it did feel a bit of a stretch at first due to the long hoods, I fixed that with different bars and am now used to it. It isn't the lightest bike but it's very comfortable especially after I put the carbon post on it and I have took some KOMs of the tdy lads on my 40 mile round trip to work and back. It loves to descend as I've had it on 30% hills of the North York moors, as far as the guards go they went on nice and easy and are light, but only done a 40 mile run in light rain and 30mph winds but no complains as the bike came back reasonably clean, just make sure there fitted with a torque wrench

Thanks – that’s v helpful.

I’m a smidge taller that you, but I’d opt for the 58 as the headtubes are tall on the Attain and I like a bit more drop from saddle to the bars.

As the mudguards did not fall off on your 40 mile ride, I’m going to pull the trigger this afternoon. Thanks for the tip re: torque wrench.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Excitement has subsided...

Bike is here and saddle, pedals, cages all swopped over. A good 1.5kg lighter than my Genesis. Slight bit of pad rub on the front hydraulic caliper and I'm not sure how to adjust the pads to eliminate it. Had a quick spin and was very happy with the handling. Removed the spacers and the fit is almost there, but might need a longer stem. Will commute on Monday and see how it goes. I take it there shouldn't be a problem with lighty greasing the threads of the thru axles?

More worryingly, and as I feared, the mudguards do not inspire confidence. Initial set up was OK, but the rubber pads that protect the frame are prone to move and I noticed a bit of rubbing when going around the block. The plastic seatstay bridge in particular looks flimsy and seems to move. Can't torque it down too much in case of damaging the seatstays. Will fettle some more tmrw.

Last edited:

6507Brown

Excitement has subsided...

Bike is here and saddle, pedals, cages all swopped over. A good 1.5kg lighter than my Genesis. Slight bit of pad rub on the front hydraulic caliper and I'm not sure how to adjust the pads to eliminate it. Had a quick spin and was very happy with the handling. Removed the spacers and the fit is almost there, but might need a longer stem. Will commute on Monday and see how it goes. I take it there shouldn't be a problem with lighty greasing the threads of the thru axles?

More worryingly, and as I feared, the mudguards do not inspire confidence. Initial set up was OK, but the rubber pads that protect the frame are prone to move and I noticed a bit of rubbing when going around the block. The plastic seatstay bridge in particular looks flimsy and seems to move. Can't torque it down too much in case of damaging the seatstays. Will fettle some more tmrw.

Any update on the bike and mudguards combination? I'm thinking of getting the same.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
DSC03165.JPG

Steerer needs chopping and a 10mm longer stem will be fitted when it finally arrives from Ribble.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Any update on the bike and mudguards combination? I'm thinking of getting the same.

The guards have stayed put, so far. Clearance is tightish on 17mm internal rims and nominal 25c tyres. Grit and leaves do clog a little bit and it's worth noting that the Cubeguards do not have a safety release fitting. I'm happy with the bike, but I wish Cube had put standard eyelets on the bike and then it would be ideal for me.

GrahamG

Guru
I've just fitted some to the women's version for the better half. I wasn't impressed either, but at least once those right angle adaptors and seatstay bridge are fitted, SKS guards could quite easily be fitted, if not as prettily!

Jamesie

Hi, Just wondered how you are getting on with the mudguards. I am considering this bike but am concerned by the Cube specific mudguard option; I want the bike as for commuting and winter training/clubrides and therefore mudguards are essential. I would really appreciate your opinion?? Also, would the mudguards take 28mm tyres?

Bensporty

Really interesting read thanks

I've been comparing the Whyte Suffolk against the pinnacle arkose 3 .
Now I've stumbled across the cube so not sure which to go for.

Think the geometry on the white and pinnacle is more relaxed for long winter rides - these are adventure type bikes whereas the cube is a race bike with discs ?

Also concerned as wanted a bike to fit sks full mudguards and 30mm tyres . Doesn't look like you can do that with the cube ?

Cheers
Ben

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Hi, Just wondered how you are getting on with the mudguards. I am considering this bike but am concerned by the Cube specific mudguard option; I want the bike as for commuting and winter training/clubrides and therefore mudguards are essential. I would really appreciate your opinion?? Also, would the mudguards take 28mm tyres?

The mudguards are OK. They would not be ideal for club rides though - the coverage front and rear is inadequate. You could bodge some flaps, but I have not bothered. I don't like the plastic seatstay bridge that you torque up and it squeezes the seatstays keeping the guard in place. I have had to retighten a few of the other bolts too.

You might get 28s on, but it would be tight. I'll check at the weekend.

All that said, they have not self-destructed yet.

The headset bearing size is odd, it seems unique to Cube(?), meaning replacements will be expensive and via Cube dealers.

Wheels have stayed true, brakes are solid and it is a comfortable ride. I've now fitted a 120mm stem and have bought a 42t asymmetric narrow/wide chainring to replace the double when the cassette wears. I'll go for a SRAM 11-28 model as that gives me a good range and puts me in 42/14 for much of my commute and this gives a good chainline.

If anyone else has any questions, let me know.

At its current sale price of £999 it represents very good value, if you can live with the mudguard compromise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
I hope you guys are emailing Cube with feedback as to the efficacy of their mudguards.

As they've only replied to 1/2 of my emails, I'm not sure I'll bother at the moment. However, I'm going to see how they perform over winter and then I might give them some constructive feedback.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Really interesting read thanks

I've been comparing the Whyte Suffolk against the pinnacle arkose 3 .
Now I've stumbled across the cube so not sure which to go for.

Think the geometry on the white and pinnacle is more relaxed for long winter rides - these are adventure type bikes whereas the cube is a race bike with discs ?

Also concerned as wanted a bike to fit sks full mudguards and 30mm tyres . Doesn't look like you can do that with the cube ?

Cheers
Ben

You won't get 30c tyres and Cubeguards on with the stock wheelset even with lower tyre pressures. Looking at the clearances you could fit 30c tyres without guards though.

I'd not say the geometry is racey, more audax/sportive-like. It is more road specific than the Pinnacle or Whyte you mention though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom