Cube Litening C68 Snapped off Rear Derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringo981

Hi All

I purchased a Cube C68 litening 4 weeks ago and while cycling today I heard a loud crunch which I thought was my chain coming off

When I had a look the rear Derailleur has snapped off taking part of the frame with it

I cant believe how weak it is, my brother went for the felt AR5 and Rear Derailleur on it looks far stronger.

What would have caused this to happen and what way do I stand with warranty ?

Attachments

• IMG_4604.JPG
    IMG_4604.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_4615.JPG
    IMG_4615.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 211
Looks like it's the hanger that's broken. Don't know why - sorry - but these are sacrificial - they are made to break first and protect your frame. Hangers in lots of shapes and sizes - you need to find the exact replacement. And why it broke in the first place. Was it already damaged?

Citius

The hanger is designed to fail in such circumstances, but it looks like it's taken part of the frame with it. Back to the shop for investigation...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Silly question were you in the big ring and the little sprocket at the rear. Were you going down hill.

If on the flat, and using the smaller ring at the front, and the little sprocket, you shouldn't have.

It shouldn't cause what you've had though.

I suspect the chain might have been a little too long for small small gears and caused the failure. Bike shops fault though.

OP
OP
R

ringo981

Thanks for all the replies

I will take it back to the shop tomorrow and see what they say but I dont have much faith in a replacement bike after seeing how fragile the orignal was

Its so poor is bordering on dangerous

OP
OP
R

ringo981

When it broke I was just starting to go up a slight hill and had just changed gears before it happened , big ring at the front and second biggest on the rear, doing approx 10mph

I had been up a couple of bigger hills on the same journey without any problems

Citius

Bike shops fault though

Hardly.

lpretro1

This problem is often caused by bad gear changes - usually on start of a hill and often when going down from big to small ring!

Joffey

Big Dosser
Cube - dodgy bikes in my limited experience. Heard a few horror stories from mates, one has had nothing but bother with his falling apart and getting stranded.

Return it and get the Felt.

Last edited:
Check your chain carefully. There will be one link where the sideplate has separated from its pin. Unfortunately for you, a bad shift partially broke the chain and then eventually, the link opened at the one end and caught the derailer in its fork. The severity of the damage is testimony to how hard we push on those cranks.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Being out with my mate when his cube fell apart and we had to call for a taxi to pick us up. It then did it again when he was out on his own.

Top Bottom