Cube Peleton Pro-Race 2012 - Rear Derailleur issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve07711

Hi All

I have a 2012 CUBE Peleton pro-race road bike and from almost the day I purchased it the rear gear shift has not been right , when first adjusted it will shift down and up the gears ok but after a few miles will begin jumping gears or become really slow shifting into the highest gear. My LBS have worked on it a few times and replaced the rear derailleur and sprockets as well as fitted new cables but the problem always comes back. They think it may be due to the internal routing as it improves if you spray lube down into the frame and into the front shifter but they have basically given up. Has anyone else experienced the same issue and if so have you had any joy getting it sorted as it is now driving me crazy ? It is not a massive issue as I have done many miles this summer but it is just bad enough to annoy the hell out of me on my daily commute.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The most direct way to check cable drag is to undo it at the rear mech (and depending on the cable routing perhaps the shifter) and feel the inner wire when you "floss" it through the outer and the frame with your hand. If you can feel significant drag then that is the cause. Assuming the springs on the rear mech are strong and the shifter is not faulty, cabling problem should be the only reason left for slow shifting into the highest gear (smallest rear sprocket).

OP
OP
Steve07711

Steve07711

Thanks for the advice will give a it a try. The springs should be fine as I have a new derailleur and the bike shop tried a new shifter and it made no difference. If the cable is tight what is the best way of freeing it ?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Thanks for the advice will give a it a try. The springs should be fine as I have a new derailleur and the bike shop tried a new shifter and it made no difference. If the cable is tight what is the best way of freeing it ?

I would suggest you try to isolate it, to see whether any significant drag is within an outer, or a ferrule, or some hidden contraption within the frame. It could be some burred edge somewhere. If you can establish the drag to be within the frame (by running the inner through nothing else) and if there is no easy way to id/fix it I would consider taking it back to the bike shop and make them deal with it - it is their responsibility, given the bike is still quite new, and the problem was there right from the start. Who knows, it might only be fixable by frame replacement.

OP
OP
Steve07711

Steve07711

Thanks , will do. Have also complained directly to cube as the shop I bought it from have not been very helpful.

Piet

Hi, I have a Cube Agree Pro 2012 and have exactly the same problem! I believe the inner cable routing is very similar to the Cube Peloton.
I've already replaced the cassette, the chain, shiting cable, cable hoses, checked derailleur alingment, jockey wheels... And still the problem is not 100% solved. Sometimes it's better but it always comes back. Last time I noticed that derailleur does not always respond exactly to the shifter movement. So I believe cable drag is causing the problem. But I already changed cable and hoses, so what else to do?
If I want to check the cable guider under the bottom bracket, I have to remove the bottom bracket but this is a pressed-in version :-(.

Did you have any success since your last post?

OP
OP
Steve07711

Steve07711

Not much it is still an issue , I have taken the bike back to the shop I bought it and they didn't really help much as they just adjusted it which is fine for a few days before it happens again. They also said if it was a problem with the internal routing they need to send the bike back to CUBE which would mean I have no bike for weeks on end. I also contacted CUBE and they said it was an issue for Shimano but to take it to the shop I bought it !! I tried what the guy said in the first reply and there didn't seem to be any drag on the cable through the frame at all so I bought myself some teflon coated gear cable from Wiggle (link below) and this has really helped the issue although it is still hard to adjust so it runs through the gears completly smoothly but it has made a noticible difference so I have resigned myself to putting up with it or I might try putting a higher standard shimano running gear on it if it gets worse again. Does the Agree Pro have Tiagra running gear ?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/jagwire-hyper-teflon-gear-cable-kits/

Piet

It's a pity to hear your problem is also not solved yet. Thanks for the tip about the Teflon coated gear cable, I’m also gonna give this a try.

I have the 105 group installed on my bike. I also already have switched my derailleur with the one from my wife, this a tiagra and works absolute perfect on her bike, but the result on my bike was the same L . So I don’t believe the type of derailleur is the problem.

Another question: do you leave the small inner guiding hose in your frame or do you pull it out after changing the cable? On the cube website I found a manual for inner cable installation on a ‘Elite 2011’ and they leave the inner guiding hose (or liner) in the frame.

I have tried both, but with the inner guiding hose it’s even worse…

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Lube the cable.

Sean Evans

I have the 2013 Peloton Race and I have also had the problems you describe, tried new shifters cassette, cables, outers, mech, mech hanger. We did find that it worked perfectly when you run one piece of outer cable from shifter to rear mech outside the frame.

Waiting to hear back from cube, will report back when I get an answer.

Top Bottom