(Curious on your opinion) If your landlord won’t allow pets would you risk hiding them or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

Just curious on your opinion?

Just curious, I would like a small pet like a hamster or pair of rats, rabbits or Guinea pigs etc... I used to have hamsters and guinea pigs before I moved however I have no idea if landlords allow them. (My last rented house was no pets). However this house i live in i should probably ssee what it says in the tenancy about pets or ask my landlord. But if they don’t allow pets would you risk hiding or not? (Obviously you wouldn’t be able too with dogs or cats or birds but what about small pets? (Has anyone had any experience or tried to hide any?) 👅

If you have a contract, that you signed, that stipulates you may not have pets, then hiding a pet would be dishonest.

There is no other way of measuring that thought.

Morality is how you act when no-one is looking.

Drago

Legendary Member
When I split from Mrs D mk1 I briefly rented. I wasn't allowed animals, but a short while later Mrs D mk1 ratger pettily kicked the cat out as it had always been "mine."

The lease said no, but when I asked the landlady direct she was completely fine with it. It seems the no pets thing may often not be the will of the owner, but something fairly standard that letting agents themselves slip in there.

Slick

Guru
Because some people just like to make life difficult?
I actually typed out what I really felt, but deleted it to spare feelings.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It will just cause you issues. Tennants can vary, so I can see why they say no pets. Some folk don't control their animals, so it could potentially wreck a house that the landlord will have to fix.

If you really want a hamster (you've owned them before) have a word with the landlord. Having a caged hamster is a bit different from a new pup that might chew window sils/ carpets etc etc.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Lol, it doesn’t state no states you have to ask. I was going to ask anyway but was just wondering if the landlord said no if people would consider it.
Having read only the post title (under 'New Posts' list), I was wondering why it wasn't possible just to leave the dog at home when popping down the pub.

Yes, I may need therapy.
That post doesn’t make sense? Some dogs don’t do well left at home, puppies can’t be left alone at home and adult dogs on average can’t be left alone longer than 3 or 4 hours. Some dogs also get separation anxiety so can’t be lefta alone. Also some dogs are allowed in pubs (lol even my local bank lets dogs in)

It will just cause you issues. Tennants can vary, so I can see why they say no pets. Some folk don't control their animals, so it could potentially wreck a house that the landlord will have to fix.

If you really want a hamster (you've owned them before) have a word with the landlord. Having a caged hamster is a bit different from a new pup that might chew window sils/ carpets etc etc.
I understand that the worse thing rodents can do are chew wires if they escape and well they can’t if there’s no wires.

Ps I know about animals as a volunteer in a animal park and also with dogs.
👅
If he says yes my housemate will also wants a pet but she wants rabbits . well that will be awkard if there’s a limit. But there may not. Anyway I should probably wait till after Christmas since I’m going on holiday next week would make sense to wait till I get back because otherwise it won’t get much taming if pets are allowed 🤪

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Just curious on your opinion?

Just curious, I would like a small pet like a hamster or pair of rats, rabbits or Guinea pigs etc... I used to have hamsters and guinea pigs before I moved however I have no idea if landlords allow them. (My last rented house was no pets). However this house i live in i should probably ssee what it says in the tenancy about pets or ask my landlord. But if they don’t allow pets would you risk hiding or not? (Obviously you wouldn’t be able too with dogs or cats or birds but what about small pets? (Has anyone had any experience or tried to hide any?) 👅
Find a new landlord. if they say no pets its no pets.:wacko:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Don’t go against your landlord’s wishes. Rodents can cause a lot of damage and may be excluded from the insurance cover the landlord has, which could leave you with a substantial bill. Can you afford to take that risk?

Reactions: C R

sleuthey

Legendary Member
This chap never got away with it:

Fawlty-Towers-Basil-the-Rat.jpg

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Don’t go against your landlord’s wishes. Rodents can cause a lot of damage and may be excluded from the insurance cover the landlord has, which could leave you with a substantial bill. Can you afford to take that risk?
Lol I understand what you saying but rodents can’t do much damage. For example hamsters and rats live in a cage so the only damage they would do would be chew wires if they escaped and that wouldn’t happen if you didn’t have any wires and had an escape proof cage. Similar with Guinea pigs and rabbits but they would live in a hutch.
Anyway I’ll ask when I’m back from holiday 👅
Dogs, cats and bids can do a lot more damage compared to rodents

Top Bottom