(Curious on your opinion) If your landlord won’t allow pets would you risk hiding them or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
When i was evicted in 2017, due to my flat being a 'fire hazard' i ended up in 'no pets allowed',sheltered accommodation. I sneaked my little dog in and out of the place,sometimes in a leather holdall,if the warden was about. It came to and end when she knocked on my flat door one day asking if i had a dog,as according to her other residents had heard a dog barking. I was just about to deny i had when my mutt gave a muffled 'gruff'. I tried to hide it by coughing loudly,but i knew the game was up.:blush:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

When i was evicted in 2017, due to my flat being a 'fire hazard' i ended up in 'no pets allowed',sheltered accommodation. I sneaked my little dog in and out of the place,sometimes in a leather holdall,if the warden was about. It came to and end when she knocked on my flat door one day asking if i had a dog,as according to her other residents had heard a dog barking. I was just about to deny i had when my mutt gave a muffled 'gruff'. I tried to hide it by coughing loudly,but i knew the game was up.:blush:
Yeah I understand it wouldn’t be possible with dogs and cats. I was just curious on caged pets because like hamster are nocturnal and are rarely out during the day and well rabbits can be kept in a hutch in a shed. (So can Guinea pigs but there noisy)

i should stop putting off asking as the landlord may be fine with it. (Lol I’ve Often made a mess when j come back from animal park volunteering with hay and straw. Even when the landlords there and he’s never questioned it.) I just tidy it up afterwards.
i guess the main concern with pets is damage and whether my housemate is alright with it and how they react to matience.

Mile195

Veteran
I used to live in a house that specified "no pets" in the tenancy agreement but we sort of ignored that bit. We used to pay the landlord by cheque. He used to bring treats for our Jack Russell each month.
The tenancy agreement was the one the letting agent used as standard. The landlord himself actually didn't care either way. You may actually find the same if you speak to your landlord.
On the other hand, if you just go ahead and get a pet, don't say anything they COULD kick you out. But then, if the pet isn't ruining the place, annoying the neighbours, and you're paying your rent on time and looking after the place, you'd have to be a pretty daft landlord to kick out an otherwise good tenant. Course it could be used as a way of not giving you back your whole deposit when you leave.
Your call really. I'm not recommending it as such, but if I were in your situation and it was a small, quiet, caged animal I wanted to get I would just ignore the contract. However, if said animal has potential to make noise and break things I might think twice.
To be honest, I find children are noisier, dirtier and more destructive than any animal I've ever owned, and landlords don't seem to have a problem with those for some reason... :smile:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Easy answer for me, check with Landlord, they might be flexible. If not, don't keep a pet. It's very hard to hide guieas and hamsters becasue your house will smell of guineas and hamsters. You might not notice it, but anyone fresh walking in the door will. Also, yes the insurance issue is a significant issue. You know what insurance companies are like. If there is a fault, damage or fire, even if it had nothing to do with the pet, they can and will use this to invalidate the policy. It's not worth all that hassle just to keep an animal locked up in a tiny cage for your own amusement :popcorn:

Reactions: C R

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I moved into my current house 7 years ago and the stipulation on the house was simply "no pets, and no young children". I had a daughter and a cat, but the letting agent wanted to show me the house regardless... she said she would ask the landlord if he'd consider us as tenants as the "no pets" rule is quite a common default, and "no children" is simply unrealistic in a house.

The landlord was approached, and he confirmed that he was fine with a cat and a child being in the house, he was more concerned about feral kids and big dogs doing damage to the fabric of the place. Possibly he pictured walls being defaced and skirting boards being torn asunder. I think you'll find it's a default position and a caged small animal won't be an issue.

Why would you want caged animals? How do you interact with them? The dog brought me a rabbit back today, even if it wasn't myxceed how would I interact with it?. They are truly dumb animals, as was the rat she found later. Even if it hadn't been dead. What possible joy can you get out of caged animal? And in the case of the animals you have mentioned, in a cage or otherwise what joy do they or you gain? Is there an interaction?
My dog is looking at me, she will bark in a minute which means she wants me to open the front door so she can listen to the night sounds and sniff the night air. And what will your hamster want?

gbb

Legendary Member
Why would you want caged animals? How do you interact with them? The dog brought me a rabbit back today, even if it wasn't myxceed how would I interact with it?. They are truly dumb animals, as was the rat she found later. Even if it hadn't been dead. What possible joy can you get out of caged animal? And in the case of the animals you have mentioned, in a cage or otherwise what joy do they or you gain? Is there an interaction?
My dog is looking at me, she will bark in a minute which means she wants me to open the front door so she can listen to the night sounds and sniff the night air. And what will your hamster want?
Having had hamsters and rabbits for our kids when they were younger, always used to think....'b,comin things, what is the point ?'
As you say, they dont interact, they're not like a dog or cat, they dont crave you're attention....and they smell. (Mind, so does my dog)

Mrs M

Guru
Rats are very clever animals

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Rats are very clever animals
They certainly are. Budgies are another caged animal I had as a kid. One in particular had a real character and lived until he was about 12. He was hardly ever in his cage and followed us around the house all day and amused himself getting up to all sorts. Many pets give as much back as you put into them and you never seem to get two quite the same, even of the same breed.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My neighbours rent the property and have 3 or 4 cats that never leave the house. When they were moving in, they had to pay an extra £100 indemnity against any damage they (the cats) might do.
Seems like a rip off to me as any costs would be taken out of the deposit as and when they (all of them) move out.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Must admit I'm puzzled by your post, in which you admit you have allowed your dog to kill wild animals, but you then express concern for animals kept caged as pets!?!?!

Top Bottom