Curious what this means?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The thread in question on Commuting turned out to be quiter dispiriting - the usual person-bashing (albiet in a more eurdite form). Maybe a wee break from C.C is in order. I've been here too much lately perhaps. I'm sorry about the loss of Magnatom. No need for it really but I understand why.

When I feel like that, I hang about in "Know How" and what was "Beginnners". A bit of helping people works wonders for the jaded poster.

Part of my somewhat obtusely expressed gripe with this thread of Col's is the spread of the arguments & score settling in other forums into Café, although evidently I'm in a minority in feeling that.

FWIW, any forum can be blocked in the current version of the forum software - if Commuting's really getting you down, just add it to the list for a bit.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
When I feel like that, I hang about in "Know How" and what was "Beginnners". A bit of helping people works wonders for the jaded poster.

Part of my somewhat obtusely expressed gripe with this thread is the spread of the arguments & score settling in other forums into Café, although evidently I'm in a minority in feeling that.

FWIW, any forum can be blocked in the current version of the forum software - if Commuting's really getting you down, just add it to the list for a bit.

Your right, I too am dissapointed with the digs you have to reply to and defend. I suppose it does get tiring when people dont let others grind them down with sarcasm and pedance.;)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I suppose it does get tiring when people dont let others grind them down with sarcasm and pedance.;)

Hmm.

I think, for what my opinion is worth, that a quiet word, pm, or post in the appropriate forum would have been better than placing a thread in café, Col. Especially as at the time, it only "seemed" to you that you'd been treated unfairly (and, from what you say, you agree that you were not). Going straight to café looks like grandstanding.

Less persuasively, perhaps, putting things in the right forums is surely the point of having a number of different forums, intended for specific topics. My various technical queries are as ill fitted to café as this thread is.

Fair enough?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Can someone please explain something? I've read through all this thread and seen references to Nazis and the Stasi (I don't think the Stasi were Nazis by the way, different time periods). Now here's what I do know:

1. There's some bloke up in the Midlands who provides this site free of charge to most people. He's been very courteous to me and is extremely quick to respond to queries considering I'm not paying him anything.
2. He's recruited a small team of unpaid volunteers who ensure, in their own time, that the forums tick over without anyone getting too upset etc.

This all seems to work well to me but there must be a number 3 to go on the list and that's the people who go around threatening other people with violence to ensure that they visit the forum every day. Otherwise, if you don't agree with how it's run or moderated, don't visit. Simples.

I'm not a moderator (although I do know a couple of them) and have never met Shaun but I find it depressing the amount of moaning that goes on about how they operate by people who don't actually need to visit the site.

Right that's got that off my chest.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Hmm.

I think, for what my opinion is worth, that a quiet word, pm, or post in the appropriate forum would have been better than placing a thread in café, Col. Especially as at the time, it only "seemed" to you that you'd been treated unfairly (and, from what you say, you agree that you were not). Going straight to café looks like grandstanding.

Less persuasively, perhaps, putting things in the right forums is surely the point of having a number of different forums, intended for specific topics. My various technical queries are as ill fitted to café as this thread is.

Fair enough?

Very fair John, but where I say "and I have" was in answer to your question about messaging Shaun, not as an agreement to my guilt, sorry I should have made that more obvious. To be honest, I picked cafe becaue I understand it to be for any topic, no other reason.
Also because of no warning or message of intent, it seemed to me the ban was done as a knee jerk reaction by someone more involved than they would probably admit. I still feel it is an unfair ban , given the number of posts worse than mine. So wanted to make it available for others to see, as I believe, and Ill apologise if im wrong, that a friend of mags is involved. My opinion only, and no proof available, but because of the way it was done, is the only explanation I can see. So until shaun gets back to me, or even the person responsible to explain their action, Ill be sticking with my thought on this.
But thanks for being very pleasant about it, Im not used to that normally in debate.:thumbsup:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Very fair John, but where I say "and I have" was in answer to your question about messaging Shaun, not as an agreement to my guilt, sorry I should have made that more obvious. To be honest, I picked cafe becaue I understand it to be for any topic, no other reason.
Also because of no warning or message of intent, it seemed to me the ban was done as a knee jerk reaction by someone more involved than they would probably admit. I still feel it is an unfair ban , given the number of posts worse than mine. So wanted to make it available for others to see, as I believe, and Ill apologise if im wrong, that a friend of mags is involved. My opinion only, and no proof available, but because of the way it was done, is the only explanation I can see. So until shaun gets back to me, or even the person responsible to explain their action, Ill be sticking with my thought on this.
But thanks for being very pleasant about it, Im not used to that normally in debate.:thumbsup:

It obviously belongs in Feedback, if indeed it requires a thread at all. Sticking it in the Cafe is just attention-seeking, as you admitted earlier.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Can anyone tell me what this means please?:biggrin:

[#MBS] You are temporarily excluded from this topic until19 November 2011 - 13:52:12
Reason: Attacking the poster, not the post.

It means you have been a numpty. :tongue:

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
It obviously belongs in Feedback, if indeed it requires a thread at all. Sticking it in the Cafe is just attention-seeking, as you admitted earlier.

See, this is the type of thing that merits defence :biggrin: Its not attention seeking for myself,where did I admit i was attention seeking? I said I wanted other people to know about it , the way it was done and why. Going with your logic here, if you were unfairly suspended at work, you wouldnt do anything public as it would be attention seeking would it? And your choice of word, attention seeking, and that I admitted it, which of course I didnt, is a good example of how you tried to change what I said.
If Iv picked the wrong forum, please have it moved to the correct one, as I said, I picked cafe because I thought it was for any topic.:biggrin:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
See, this is the type of thing that merits defence :biggrin: Its not attention seeking for myself,where did I admit i was attention seeking? I said I wanted other people to know about it , the way it was done and why. Going with your logic here, if you were unfairly suspended at work, you wouldnt do anything public as it would be attention seeking would it? And your choice of word, attention seeking, and that I admitted it, which of course I didnt, is a good example of how you tried to change what I said.
If Iv picked the wrong forum, please have it moved to the correct one, as I said, I picked cafe because I thought it was for any topic.:biggrin:

Get over yourself. Wanting everyone to know that you've been temporarily banned from a thread? Hands up who gives a ****?

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Get over yourself. Wanting everyone to know that you've been temporarily banned from a thread? Hands up who gives a ****?

Well you give enough to join in dont you?:biggrin:

And there you go again, trying to flame :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom