Curious what this means?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Can someone please explain something? I've read through all this thread and seen references to Nazis and the Stasi (I don't think the Stasi were Nazis by the way, different time periods). Now here's what I do know:

1. There's some bloke up in the Midlands who provides this site free of charge to most people. He's been very courteous to me and is extremely quick to respond to queries considering I'm not paying him anything.

2. He's recruited a small team of unpaid volunteers who ensure, in their own time, that the forums tick over without anyone getting too upset etc.

This all seems to work well to me but there must be a number 3 to go on the list and that's the people who go around threatening other people with violence to ensure that they visit the forum every day. Otherwise, if you don't agree with how it's run or moderated, don't visit. Simples.

I'm not a moderator (although I do know a couple of them) and have never met Shaun but I find it depressing the amount of moaning that goes on about how they operate by people who don't actually need to visit the site.

Right that's got that off my chest.

WELL SAID, that Man !
bravo.gif

When I feel like that, I hang about in "Know How" and what was "Beginnners". A bit of helping people works wonders for the jaded poster.

Part of my somewhat obtusely expressed gripe with this thread of Col's is the spread of the arguments & score settling in other forums into Café, although evidently I'm in a minority in feeling that.

FWIW, any forum can be blocked in the current version of the forum software - if Commuting's really getting you down, just add it to the list for a bit.

Totally agree.
thumbsup.png
It's very refreshing to go into Welcome and read why people are joining CC. Fair takes me back ....
laugh.gif

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
604.5mm. Bish-bosh, I am here alll week!

In seriousness, ALWAYS measure ERD yourself. Hub measurements are usually pretty reliable, but manufacturers seem to take a perverse joy in lying about ERD - I've no idea why this should be the case. My last set of A319s (32h) came up at around 603 (averaging several measurements across the rim). It doesn't make a massive difference in the final calculation, admittedly, but it's nice to be right :smile:

Col, I'm afraid we're not going to agree here. This should have gone in feedback, if, indeed, it went anywhere public at all before Shaun got in touch with you and allayed/confirmed your misgivings.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Also because of no warning or message of intent, it seemed to me the ban was done as a knee jerk reaction by someone more involved than they would probably admit. I still feel it is an unfair ban , given the number of posts worse than mine.

In which case, it's highly likely that other people will have had the same ban - they just haven't felt the need to challenge it. The whole point of short topic bans is to take heated protagonists out for a while to let things cool down, and hopefully get back on topic.

If you don't like it, you know where the door is....

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I apologise for the word nazi as there is no need for words of that nature, I should have said 'Mary Whitehouse'. Sorry though I still stand on what I think about this forum for over the top moderation / censorship its just so old hat.

Come on this ain't the C Beebies forum.

:smile: lol

Arch

Married to Night Train
I apologise for the word nazi as there is no need for words of that nature, I should have said 'Mary Whitehouse'. Sorry though I still stand on what I think about this forum for over the top moderation / censorship its just so old hat.

Admin has frequently said that he'd like this to be a forum that people would be happy for their kids to read over their shoulders. Again, if that's not raw enough for you, go elsewhere.

Norm

Get over yourself. Wanting everyone to know that you've been temporarily banned from a thread? Hands up who gives a ****?
It does seem a strange thing to post, especially given that the answer to the original question and the follow-up defensiveness about whether others were banned was all posted in the original thread anyway.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Admin has frequently said that he'd like this to be a forum that people would be happy for their kids to read over their shoulders. Again, if that's not raw enough for you, go elsewhere.

Hi Arch.

Just a point. I have never had a disagreement on this forum though some have hit at me though I don't raise to the bait and leave that thread without comment
If it's a family cycling forum including children then maybe this should be put into the strap line ? This would then maybe give it's users more respect about what is posted on the forum ?

Can't say I realised it was a forum also targeted at children with the amount of post with swear words and the like that have been posted over the time
wacko.gif

John

martint235

Dog on a bike

But this goes back to my point. If you don't like the moderation here, there are plenty of other forums to visit. It's not like anyone is forcing you.

However if the benefit/enjoyment gained from visiting this forum outweighs your sense of injustice at the level of censorship, it becomes a moot point.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
In which case, it's highly likely that other people will have had the same ban - they just haven't felt the need to challenge it. The whole point of short topic bans is to take heated protagonists out for a while to let things cool down, and hopefully get back on topic.

If you don't like it, you know where the door is....

I dont like improper use of power, some are too handy at it. Im sure I was on topic, it was mags thread wasnt it?
I like this forum, just some try to change/imply/manipulate and be sarcastic if they dont agree with you. This puts you into a defend your post situation. Think Ill stay Arch, thanks for the choice. :biggrin:

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
In seriousness, ALWAYS measure ERD yourself. Hub measurements are usually pretty reliable, but manufacturers seem to take a perverse joy in lying about ERD - I've no idea why this should be the case. My last set of A319s (32h) came up at around 603 (averaging several measurements across the rim). It doesn't make a massive difference in the final calculation, admittedly, but it's nice to be right :smile:

Col, I'm afraid we're not going to agree here. This should have gone in feedback, if, indeed, it went anywhere public at all before Shaun got in touch with you and allayed/confirmed your misgivings.

Ok John, point taken, but it was my ignorance of which forum It should have gone in apologise to you. My intent is not to annoy all the good natured members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom