Custom Re-Spray

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
Has anyone had their bike professionally resprayed ?

I have a 2015 cannondale supersix evo that I quite like ... apart from the colour..

It’s got a few stone chips and generally looks a bit tatty in places.. I’ve spent money on upgrading the components over the years and it rides lovely.. so I don’t “need” a new bike.

I’m seriously thinking about getting a custom respray done to make it look new and revive my love for it

Anyone done it ?
Was it worth it for you ?

netman

Veteran
You could try a DIY! These are supposed to be pretty good - haven't tried yet myself, but will do at some point... reviewed here

netman

Veteran
Single pack paints are not very durable, but I guess you know that.

No, I've no technical knowledge of paints - just something I'm considering for a couple of vintage rebuilds - they aren't anything that warrants an expensive trip to the professionals and I have a couple of powder coated frames and really don't like that as an option...

All uphill

Still rolling along
I had my old steel tourer resprayed by Argos Racing Cycles in Bristol.

A year later and I'm still delighted.

screenman

Legendary Member
Indeed, but if one finishes with Spraymax 2 pack lacquer from the aerosol then the finish is both very durable and high quality.

If you know how to use an aerosol that is, if not the finish is not so good. It is also a good idea to bake it off a bit, but it will cure up in time, certainly better than a single pack air drying.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ah, but I do know how to ;) I resprayed all 4 corner wings on the Smart, and blended the metallic without having to resort to a blending solvent, and the finish is pro standard.

IMG_20190801_165730254_HDR.jpg

With prep, paint and finishing it's not a 5 minute job, but time is something I'm not short of.

Not for the ham fisted or unskilled, but if you do know what you're doing a top finish on a bike frame is achievable at home.

Last edited:
You can get a pretty hard finish from aerosol can and air dry finishes / cellulose or acrylic if you use a self etching primer to begin with and keep the number of coats to a minimum. Once the smell from the paint has gone I have cooked the paint at over 120c in an oven. Once the paint has cooled it won't mark using your thumb nail .
If the paint finish on your bike isn't flaking off or isn't too bad there is no need to strip the bike back to bare metal. A good clean and degrease and then a good rub down using a Scotchbrite pad, (grey) will give enough of a key for the paint to adhere to.

Top Bottom