Customer service, the good.... And the bad.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holio cornolio

After a 20 odd year hiatus, and now that I'm pushing 40, I had decided to get fit and get back into cycling, so I went to a london bike shop the other day to have a look at their own branded steel audaxy type bike. Lovely it was and the chap there that served me couldn't have been friendlier and more helpful. As I say, it's been some 20 odd years since I've been properly into cycling, so I know some stuff, but my knowledge is a little dated... but I wasn't patronised and I left feeling very happy and almost ready to drop a serious amount of cash (by my standards) on a new bike. Fuelled by enthusiasm and newfound confidence I resolved to do a bit more research before committing, and went to check out at least one other frameset / bike. So today I went to another well known retailer to a totally different experience! I left the second shop feeling like a bit of a c##t to be quite frank. I mean I was served quickly enough and initially the guy was friendly and the product I was looking at was fantastic, but once I'd given him my budget and asked a few dated questions, he couldn't hide the fact that he was finding me irritating ... and he didn't try to either. He actually told me to shut up and listen more carefully at one point which is just fantastic! Now don't get me wrong, I did interrupt him, (he was telling me why the frame was cheaper, when I'd asked why it was more comfortable), so I will take my blame for my part in sending the verbal transaction the wrong way. But I'd gone in to that shop with cash in my pocket (metaphorically), and left fully loaded even though i really liked the product. I don't do angry (publicly anyway, I'd rather bitch and snark in private!) so I thanked him for his time and for trying to answer my questions and left at that point.
I'm sure everyone has a sales horror story. Being told to shut up when I'm close to dropping £1300 goes to the top of my list (closely followed by the comet salesman who told me that not buying the additional product protection insurance made me stupid-there are plenty of things that make me appear stupid, but that's not one of them). What's your sales horror story? I've kept names out of this, I don't think it's fair to judge a very successful shop on a single experience, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who have nothing but praise for the shop in question.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Mine relates to two branches of Evans, both early 2011; I wanted a new bike and to lose weight. Because I was on the portly side I wanted a dull colour, just in case I didn't lose the weight. Budget was £1000.

Evans Castleford - went in, said what I was after and he immediately showed me a green Bianchi for £750. No sizing, checking what I would use it for and I clearly was an irritation even though I was the only customer in a large store. Never been back.

Evans Leeds - went in, said what I was after and they took time to size, check, confirm, etc. Recommended a Ridgeback Platinum, which I bought - and they gave me a £100 discount as well. They were busy but still took the time and I'd recommend them.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I bought a saddle from the newish branch of Cycle Surgery in the MetroCentre, Gateshead.

The assistant was pleasant, made a couple of sensible comments/suggestions, and we had an agreeable general cycling chat as the transaction progressed.

I returned to the same shop to buy a mirror.

Different assistant said: "What, a mirror for a bike?"

He clearly thought I was an idiot.

I think this demonstrates what we all know, it largely comes down to the assistant on the day, not the name above the door.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
After a 20 odd year hiatus, and now that I'm pushing 40, I had decided to get fit and get back into cycling, so I went to a london bike shop the other day to have a look at their own branded steel audaxy type bike. Lovely it was and the chap there that served me couldn't have been friendlier and more helpful. As I say, it's been some 20 odd years since I've been properly into cycling, so I know some stuff, but my knowledge is a little dated... but I wasn't patronised and I left feeling very happy and almost ready to drop a serious amount of cash (by my standards) on a new bike. Fuelled by enthusiasm and newfound confidence I resolved to do a bit more research before committing, and went to check out at least one other frameset / bike. So today I went to another well known retailer to a totally different experience! I left the second shop feeling like a bit of a c##t to be quite frank. I mean I was served quickly enough and initially the guy was friendly and the product I was looking at was fantastic, but once I'd given him my budget and asked a few dated questions, he couldn't hide the fact that he was finding me irritating ... and he didn't try to either. He actually told me to shut up and listen more carefully at one point which is just fantastic! Now don't get me wrong, I did interrupt him, (he was telling me why the frame was cheaper, when I'd asked why it was more comfortable), so I will take my blame for my part in sending the verbal transaction the wrong way. But I'd gone in to that shop with cash in my pocket (metaphorically), and left fully loaded even though i really liked the product. I don't do angry (publicly anyway, I'd rather bitch and snark in private!) so I thanked him for his time and for trying to answer my questions and left at that point.
I'm sure everyone has a sales horror story. Being told to shut up when I'm close to dropping £1300 goes to the top of my list (closely followed by the comet salesman who told me that not buying the additional product protection insurance made me stupid-there are plenty of things that make me appear stupid, but that's not one of them). What's your sales horror story? I've kept names out of this, I don't think it's fair to judge a very successful shop on a single experience, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who have nothing but praise for the shop in question.
I would be pretty hacked off if I was told to 'shut up and listen more carefully' by a sales assistant. I'd have just told him 'your rudeness has cost you a sale, bye' and left. Then again, I'm a narky cow.
If you are asking 'dated' questions, the sales assistant should not be irritated but should answer the question you have asked and encourage you back on a bike. Keep looking and trying.
What was the audaxy type steel bike you were looking at btw?

:welcome: to CC

Cyclist33

I would be pretty hacked off if I was told to 'shut up and listen more carefully' by a sales assistant. I'd have just told him 'your rudeness has cost you a sale, bye' and left. Then again, I'm a narky cow.
If you are asking 'dated' questions, the sales assistant should not be irritated but should answer the question you have asked and encourage you back on a bike. Keep looking and trying.

Really to be effective you would have to go see the manager and tell them, I doubt the assistant would give a toss.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I bought my steel audaxy type bike at Spa in Harrogate. A bit of a schlep from London I know. But I was there all morning and then some. Talking, test riding (they gave me a local route of a few miles to try) fiddling with settings, trying other bikes. If you want a steel audaxy type bike, I can't recommend them highly enough. But they aren't exactly local. (I have family oop North so I combined my trips there with visits)

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I think you should give both shops feedback by letter/email.
I reckon one of them will end up as a friend.....

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I bought a saddle from the newish branch of Cycle Surgery in the MetroCentre, Gateshead.

The assistant was pleasant, made a couple of sensible comments/suggestions, and we had an agreeable general cycling chat as the transaction progressed.

I returned to the same shop to buy a mirror.

Different assistant said: "What, a mirror for a bike?"

He clearly thought I was an idiot.

I think this demonstrates what we all know, it largely comes down to the assistant on the day, not the name above the door.
I've had good service and a happier experience in there than in the Evans on the metrocentre complex too

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Went to the local Specialized dealer to get a new cassette fitted to my wheel after they'd confirmed the price [cheaper than Wiggle and all the others and it included fitting]- they said they were busy so I left it with them. Two days later went in to collect, the sales assistant on the till tried to charge me full price for the cassette and fitting on top... I handed them my copy of their email confirming the cost which, thankfully I'd taken with me and they backtracked.

About to leave the shop, I checked the cassette. The quick-release skewer on the wheel was a black plastic lever, not the stamped Specialized alloy one which was on the wheel when I left it [I know I should have removed it].... the sales assistant claimed that it was the one on the wheel when I dropped it off!! I raised this with the shop manager and he went in the back to find mine... he came out ten minutes later and said it wasn't there- was I sure? I went home , got the bike and took it round to show them the alloy skewer on the front. It took them another 7 days to replace it at their cost... it's a shame as it's a great shop otherwise. Haven't seen that sales assistant again mind.

Last edited:

Binz

Regular
If you shop in Halfords there should be a web address and code on your receipt for leaving feedback. Do it. If it's bad they can do something about it. If it's good it helps then know which staff are worth keeping etc. If they are good but don't receive good feedback the managers can use the lack of good feedback against them so please reward good people with good comments.

OP
OP
Holio cornolio

Holio cornolio

Thanks for the welcome. Well the nice shop was Pearson in Sutton. Credit, where credit's due, they were excellent, patient, helpful and I actually had a nice time there. I will almost definitely get their easy come easy go. The bad, was also in London, and they do very, very well, and don't need my business for sure. I'm sure if I'd been approached by a different salesman to begin with, the experience would have been different. As I said, it's not fair to judge on one salesman and my one experience, which is why I won't name them, but it's not an experience I want to repeat and I don't have to. Luckily, with cycling, there's still a healthy network of local dealers, so we have the option to vote with our feet.

I looked at the spa audax (online) it does look a cracking deal, but despite also having family in Harrogate, I'm unlikely to go there more than once a year, so I will stick to the more local.... Also checked out hewitt and thorn, but again, being relatively local, Pearson make more sense to me.

Top Bottom