Cutting 0.7mm copper plate... advice please :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've got a sheet of copper plate at 0.7mm thick that needs cutting (a curve, just to be awkward).

I figured my junior hacksaw would do the trick but that's proving tricky; not enough teeth and the force is bending the sheet when i'd like it to remain perfectly flat.

My Jigsaw blades for metal don't seem to have any more teeth per inch than my hacksaw, and looking at screwfix I've got got as finer blade as one can get. Would sandwiching the sheet between some plywood help?

Or would i be best off buying a coping saw with an ultrafine jewellers blade?

I guess at 0.7mm thick, I'd be looking for a tooth pitch of around 0.2mm... if such a thing exists??

Thanks in advance :smile:

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Cut a template out of plywood/mdf. Firmly place on copper and use a new Stanley knife.
0.2mm isn't thick and a knife will leave a sharper edge than a saw.
Thanks.

it's 0.7mm

classic33

Leg End Member
Is the piece you need an external or internal curve?
If external, a series of small straight cuts, finished with a file.

Adam4868

Guru
Definately decent pair of tin snips if your confident enough.Id never really cut with a jig saw.To much of a chance for error.How tight of a curve are you cutting ?

presta

Guru
Isn't this a job for tinsnips?

Yes, yes, and yes again.

(By the way, it's a job for tin snips.)

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

tinsnips tend to bend either side of what you're I'm cutting, so they're the last option.

I tried Darius' stanley knife option on the smallest cut and whilst it took a fair few passes, did work without bending the plate.

The curve is not too tight, 50mm radius at the tightest.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
That's what happens on YT videos. Maybe its my snips (cheap/blunt) or my technique (clumsy/impatient) or a combination of the two :blush:
You can get left hand and right hand snips....your cutting it the right way ? Not trying to be patronizing !

Top Bottom