Cutting 0.7mm copper plate... advice please :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
You can get left hand and right hand snips....your cutting it the right way ? Not trying to be patronizing !

that could be it. I am cack handed :hello:

Adam4868

Guru
Yes sorry should of made myself clearer ! Not so much of because what hand your using,more which way the cut needs to be
As in the waste needs to curl away from you if that makes sense.
If you were trying to cut a strip out of a sheet of metal,you'd alternate left and right handed snips and the waste will curl upwards.
I think snips nowadays are colour coded even,some call them aviation snips ?
Sheet metal was my trade many moons ago and it's was only Gilbow snips...cost me a fortune and I still have them ! Shame your not closer 😁

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

I found this video which explains how to get it wrong, and right... (it's rather dull, sorry)

The snips I've only ever used are the old fashioned (not aviation) snips, probably on gauges too thick for them, hence never getting good results.

But I'm not gonna fork out on a set of aviation snips. I'll use the stanley knife method suggested by Darius :okay:

bruce1530

Guru
Coincidentally, just saw someone cutting copper sheet like this on Salvage Hunters-The Restorers.

Used a Dremel-like tool with a circular rotating blade.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

I ended up using the jigsaw. Found a set of blades in Dad's garage which had some very fine looking metal cutting blades, so sandwiched the copper 'tween two chunks of MDF, clamped it up and cut it to shape.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Ask a cyclist is always the best thing to do :okay:

Adam4868

Guru
I ended up using the jigsaw. Found a set of blades in Dad's garage which had some very fine looking metal cutting blades, so sandwiched the copper 'tween two chunks of MDF, clamped it up and cut it to shape.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Ask a cyclist is always the best thing to do :okay:
Amateur 🙄

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

i got it right the first time. That's the main thing :becool:

18 - control plate.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom