Cycle 12 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobby

Hello,

Need some advice.

I am of average fitness. How long would it take me to cycle 12 miles?

thanks alot

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys

wafflycat

Lots of variables, including:-

weather, e.g. headwind or tailwind
terrain e.g. flat, uphill, downhill, hilly, rolling
type of bike
type of tyres
type of road e.g urban with lots of traffic lights & junctions or rural with no hold-ups
type of off-road e.g mud up to your armpits, or hard track

Sounds daft, but why?

I do this distance in about 50 minutes, but with my wife in tow about 80.

If you are in no hurry I would perhaps allow an hour and a half for a leisurely pootle with time to cool down and have a quick wash at the other end if required.

If it is for a commute however You can push alittle faster and then allow time for a shower at the far end.

got-to-get-fit

Hi......

If you are thinking of this from a Commute point of view and wondering how long its going to take to get to work.......

I commute 11.8 miles and it takes me 40 mins, im of average fitness and my commute is fairly flat with a couple of smallish hills.

I use a road bike and i work shifts so traffic is usually not so bad.

gbb

Legendary Member
As Wafflycat asks, there are loads of factors.
Are you looking to get from a to b as quick as you can, or just a steady ride.
What bikes have you got in mind....

You'd be surprised what youre capable of. Many people think 10 miles is ...well....insane. Its not, its easiy achievable with a little effort and patience. A few rides soon build up some strength.

I went out with the wife today, she doesnt normally ride more that 2 or 3 miles. She used my old roadbike, and we did 15 miles in just over an hour.
A very steady ride for me, but quite an achievement for the wife. She was perfectly ok when she got back.....on with the day.

515mm

Hi Bobby, welcome to the forum!

When I started commuting in January, the 14 mile, mostly flat ride into work took me just under an hour. I'd been going to a gym for about a year already and thought I was reasonably fit.;) It now takes me 47-50 minutes.(Yes, I do keep a check and I try and break my 47'17'' record once a week)

Oh, since February I've lost 16 pounds of body fat according to my gym instructor and her calipers.......:smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
As everyone says, there are loads of variables. I did about 12 miles yesterday, took about five and a half hours, but that includes pootling, stopping to look at an old windmill, taking a lot of photos, and a pub lunch...

But if I'd had to ride 12 miles direct, I reckon, with a favourable wind (or no wind) and relatively flat, then I might manage it in an hour or so.

Main thing, if you're hoping to do it regularly, like on a commute, is to allow plenty of time to start with, so that you're not running out of time and having to flog yourself and ending up discouraged and knackered. The more you do it, the quicker you'll get.

Tynan

Veteran
if it's london, add 20% for stopping for lights, it's absurd

I average 18mph plus for my 12.5 miles and it generally takes me an hour, go figure

Tynan said:
if it's london, add 20% for stopping for lights, it's absurd

I average 18mph plus for my 12.5 miles and it generally takes me an hour, go figure

This is actually a limiting factor on how much you can cut off your personal best.

I am consistent to within a couple of minutes, and the variation is almost entirely due to lights!

OP
OP
B

bobby

Hello,

Wow! Never expected so many to reply! thanks!

I am f****d off with the trains so I want to cycle in! It around 11.5 miles from Belvedere (south london) to central london (london bridge).

I go throught abbey wood, plumstead, woolwich, charlton, greenwich, deptford and then the city. So I am hoping it will be quite up to the city.

Anyone else travel near those areas?

What about this bike for a starter?
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...665_crumb_33980-90909_parentcategoryrn_103665

thanks people

Bobby

Mortiroloboy

Hi and welcome, Don't even think about buying that piece of cr@p! Seriously it will fall apart, and you don't need any kinda suspension malarky if you only intend to ride on tarmac, if you are content to buy from Halfords, then have a look at some of their 'better' Carrera own brand models, or better still find a good (local to you) and reputable LBS Local Bike Shop. Establish a rapport with the owner/manager, this relationship will stand you in good stead, trust me!

Top Bottom