Cycle 2 Work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephen.rooke

dont take up cycling expecting to save money lol, youll end up spending the money saved on accessories etc :biggrin: more fun spending your money that way anyway

Chris S

Legendary Member
Get ready to breathe in huge clouds of black dust belched out of bus exhaust pipes. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is a high correlation between commuter cycling and lung cancer in 10 years time.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
looks sweet !
I always wish i had gone for the full 1k on C2W now but i am happy enough with the one i have , better wheels would be nice but its still nice.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
is cycle to work actually worthwhile these days? Appantley the limit is a grand, though some shops do bend the rules a bit, but also if it's not from Halfords (and one or two others) you have to pay "corkage" or at least lose any discount. You're choice is limited, unless you want a Boardman (perfectly OK bike though it may be), and the tax fiddle element is marginal even if you're on 40%. If you're on base rate tax, I wouldn't be suprised if you saved more by simply shopping around.

cyberknight

I look at it as a interest free loan for thos who cant afford a bike in one lump sum.

Luckily i got my bike before VAT got added to the calculations, got an £800 bike for about £550

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm on 40% and am also being hit by the new Child Benefit changes.

For me it's making perfect sense; I've got a £500 C2W scheme started this month to get SWMBO onto a bike and in 18 months time I'll be replacing my winter hack with a new one on C2W.

Apart from charitable donations, which I'm also doing, there's not much else I can do to keep under the tax limits.

Oh, and no - I'm not rolling in it. This cycling lark's costing me a fortune in lycra, spare parts and new clothes.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Sound choice if I may say so.

And yes, C2W is a good way of saving £320 off a £1K bike, and getting an interest free loan equivalent. Doubters who think they can get a 2012 bike discounted by 32% and then get interest free credit on it will be sorely disappointed!

DaveW

It made sense for me. A £1,000 voucher costs me £580 as I save 42% tax and national insurance. This £580 is then repaid over 12 months so effectively 42% discount and interest free credit. My bike shop honoured the Specialized red ticket sale prices so I got a Specialized Secteur Elite down from £1000 to £900 and he chucked in £150 worth of extras for the £100 balance. So in short I got £1150 worth at full RRP for £580 on 12 months interest free credit. You'd have to be an awesome negotiator to match that outside of the scheme.

Bianchi-67

That is a really nice bike. I am surprised you were able to get a bike under £1k with 105 and Ultegra components. It got 3.5 star rating in the June 2012 edition of Cycling Plus. I really like Cube and Bianchi road bikes. Enjoy the ride

cyberknight

Depends on how much the purchase price of the bike was and what scheme the company uses...
My company charges you the tax on the fair market value as a final payment .
i think it was <500 = 18 % ( or the tax on )
>500 =25 %
valuation_table.png

Top Bottom