Cycle Accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Derby

Regular
I was in a collision with a car yesterday.Not my fault.

My bike is damaged.

Any advice on claiming for my bike repair.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Do you have insurance?
Are you a member of the CTC, BC or LCC?
Was there any witnesses? This is very important. Other wise it's your word against his.

OP
OP
D

Derby

Regular
Do you have insurance?
Are you a member of the CTC, BC or LCC?
Was there any witnesses? This is very important. Other wise it's your word against his.
I have no insurance.

Not a member of any club.

I have a witness.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
OK, go to the CTC webpage & join up, you can claim retrospectively.

commuter067.jpg
Legal Cover
The CTC Legal Advice Scheme is totally free to CTC members. If you are not a CTC member, CTC may still be able to help you in certain circumstances. Call our Accident Claims Line on 0844 736 8452 for advice if you have been involved in an incident while riding your bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Also check your household insurance - you may have legal cover !

If you are not injured, things are easier. Get the driver's details and contact his insurance (assuming you are not involving a solicitor).

Has the driver admitted liability - if not, get a solicitor !

Write down what has happened - e.g. on Word and save it - note time, weather and visibility. Take pictures of the damage to all property, and yourself. Possibly take pictures of the accident spot.

If injured, pay a visit to your GP, and also I'd strongly recommend reporting the accident to your local Police station, even if it is for statistics. Most likely they will just log it and gve you a reference number.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Has the driver admitted liability - if not, get a solicitor !
In the case of any collision, you should not admit it was your fault or not. It is not up to you to prove that. Even if you were at fault, saying so at the scene could cause you more problems. Its best to leave the case to the police and insurance companies that can then get both sides of the story. In most cases it isnt just one persons fault because there is usually a reason for the collision to happen.

For example, my mother was involved in a minor collision last year where there was a parked lorry on the other side of the road. When she went to pass it, the oncoming car went to pass it too. There was a collision of the wing mirrors and they both came off.
Now the obvious person at fault is the other car for not giving way. However, insurance companies would see it that my mum could have slowed down if she had seen the car going to come through or swerved to the left.
In this case, my mother was proved the victim and had a new mirror from the other persons insurance.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some cases the driver will say it is there fault and the repairs can be sorted by dealing with the guilty party's insurer direct. This is usually quick.

If they won't admit, then you need a solicitor and everything gets very expensive.

That's why I asked. Where you know it's your fault, in my opinion you should own up.

Reactions: 4F

Cyclopathic

Veteran
This is just my experience but here it is. I was knocked off last year. Not my fault. Some bruising. Bike knackered.
I did initially think it was a job for the no win no fee solicitors that are everywhere. However on talking to them it just sounded like a lot of hassle compared to just claiming off the insurance of the woman who hit me. Firtunately there was no dispute about fault and it all went through quickly and efficiently.
Using her insurance I was able to use my own doctor whereas the others I asked said that I would have to be assessed by their independent physician.
Also because it was apparent that it was not my fault the amount they offered for my bike and separately for my pain and suffering was what I considered to be a fair amount. Perhaps I could have squeezed more out of them with a no win no fee solicitor but it just did not seem worth it for what seemed like a lot more hassle. Plus which I had no win no fee solicitors ringing me up for ages afterwards.
Just my experience though and all I would say is get as much advice as you can to make the decision that is best for you. All the best and hope you're ok.

Chris S

Legendary Member
This lot are highly recommended:
http://www.cycleinjury.co.uk/

Top Bottom