Cycle Bib's and Padded Clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive just bought some bib shorts and didn't like them as sweat gathered at the small of my back and errrrr crack :huh:
I much prefer shorts or tights . The best padding i have found is the Giant ones but they have a Giant price tag . My other stuff is branded Funkier and the padding is ok but not a patch on the Giant .

Hi rob have a look on Decathlon, I got mine in store, like I said they are very comfy gel padded. It really has solved my sore bum and made cycling enjoyable. For the money I think they are a good deal.

Big Nick

Just get some, I'm 6' and just over 15 stone and find the xl in the DHB brand a good fit so you may struggle with sizing in that brand as I think they only go up to xxl

Alternatively try and get some cycling trousers and wear some padded under shorts

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Just make sure they don't go transparent when you have them on, it's not nice to follow someone who is wearing see through bibs, unless you have a really nice butt, and of course the opposite gender.:laugh:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I personally don't fancy the bibs. I have gone for 3/4 cycling shorts and I have just bought a marino base layer. I will wear that under a sweatshirt. I am the only person in this area who cycles. My neighbours think I am a novelty as it is. I don't know what they would say if I wore bibs

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I personally don't fancy the bibs. I have gone for 3/4 cycling shorts and I have just bought a marino base layer. I will wear that under a sweatshirt. I am the only person in this area who cycles. My neighbours think I am a novelty as it is. I don't know what they would say if I wore bibs
Go get some bibs, and let them talk.^_^

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
Who ridiculed you? I am sure most of this is in people head, I have been many shapes and sizes and have always worn proper sporting cyclist wear. Not once have I been ridiculed, to my knowledge.
It's sad to admit, but kids. I know they are only kids, but it was a big knock to my confidence. Especially as I've gone from being a 7XL to 2/3XL, and it's the first time I'd worn shorts too.

Don't get me wrong, I feel more confident in joggers, so I'm happy to continue riding in them, but was nice weather, so I thought I'd try the shorts out.

Has anyone had to return bib products to say Wiggle or ChainReaction? Do they accept them back, or do they decline them?

Thank you Nicola, I'll have a look in a bit. I've a couple of things to consider now, which is awesome. It's made signing up to here and asking the question worthwhile.

Big Nick, in that case, I'll get myself measured and definitely rethink the Dhb's for now. Thank you.

Derrick, I'd hope if they ever did/do go transparent, someone would tell me before leaving home haha.

Welsh Dragon, where did you buy the cycling shorts from? I have considered buying them, but for my current sizing, it's not easy.
I mean I'm currently wearing a pair of XL jeans, yet some clothes are 2/3. Companies should just stick with a standard.

welsh dragon

It's sad to admit, but kids. I know they are only kids, but it was a big knock to my confidence. Especially as I've gone from being a 7XL to 2/3XL, and it's the first time I'd worn shorts too.

Don't get me wrong, I feel more confident in joggers, so I'm happy to continue riding in them, but was nice weather, so I thought I'd try the shorts out.

Has anyone had to return bib products to say Wiggle or ChainReaction? Do they accept them back, or do they decline them?

Thank you Nicola, I'll have a look in a bit. I've a couple of things to consider now, which is awesome. It's made signing up to here and asking the question worthwhile.

Big Nick, in that case, I'll get myself measured and definitely rethink the Dhb's for now. Thank you.

Derrick, I'd hope if they ever did/do go transparent, someone would tell me before leaving home haha.

Welsh Dragon, where did you buy the cycling shorts from? I have considered buying them, but for my current sizing, it's not easy.
I mean I'm currently wearing a pair of XL jeans, yet some clothes are 2/3. Companies should just stick with a standard.

Hi. Mine are tenn from amazon. I have just purchased my merino base layer from amazon as well. It should arrive this weekend. As I say I will wear the base layer under a sweatshirt. Sorry I don't know what sizes they go up to, but they seem to be true to size. Hope this helps

welsh dragon

Just looking on amazon. They have tenn shorts in sizes X X X LARGE. 40/42 inch waist. And they are cheap as well.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

How would they know if they were bib shorts or just shorts :S

welsh dragon

How would they know if they were bib shorts or just shorts :S

They probably wouldn't but I would. I am very self conscious. Who knows, if I get used to the shorts and like them, I may well go for the bibs.:thumbsup: . Small steps.:laugh:

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
Haha, I like that argument to be fair, but I'm the same Welsh Dragon, self conscious, and taking baby steps haha.
Just know I want to be comfortable for my event, and the training leading up to it, so need to take the dive sometime, so better sooner than later.

Thank you Screenman, they don't seem too bad, reasonable prices, against other brands and things. Even using Dhb's as a base, they're not that much more expensive.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I actually have a pair of padded boxers, but didn't take them with me on my training ride, but intend on leaving them in work for when I have another "spur of the moment" after work ride.

Personally though, I'd rather start getting into more cycling clobber, as I'm not just commuting, else I'd not bother with it all.

What sort of distances do you do in those undershorts, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks Rob3rt. Thought I'd ask, instead of looking like a pleb with the straps over.
All sorts, really … up to my 100 mile limit at which my legs turn into pumpkins. I wear touring type shorts which come with detachable padded undershorts. Or swap the undershorts for tights in winter.

Just go for what you find comfortable and practical. A lot of people here recommend bibs so they’re worth a go.

Top Bottom