Cycle Bib's and Padded Clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying some bib tights, but I'm a big lad - 6.2", 150kg, usually fit into a 2/3xl clothing.

I currently cycle in some jogging bottoms and a light top, slowly getting into cycle clothing as the weight drops.
The bottoms are great for my commute, but when I'm training, I start hurting, the ankle cuff gets occasionally caught by the chain/set, and if I'm boosting it, they're not good at keeping me warm.

I've seen a few Dhb bib tights which I like the sound of, and don't mind forking out to try, even if they don't currently fit, I'd keep them until I did.

I'm looking for padded clothing, as I'm training for a 60 mile event in June, for which having recently done a 22 mile ride, my lower back was killing me, and found I got a little chafed (looking into chamois creams too), but mostly my back / a** was killing me.

The reason for this post though, is what is the best place to start with bibs / padded clothing?
Also, is there a benefit over bib's to buying padded boxers or bottoms?
Additionally, would anyone be able to recommend any particular makes, that would fit me currently? - Admittedly, I do need to size my chest etc, so I can check the Dhb set I've seen.

Last edited:

rb58

Enigma
DHB stuff is great value for money so a good place to start. Bibs will stay up better than shorts (so no bum crack on view) and will also help to keep your lower back/kidneys warm in the cold. Generally they're more comfortable as they stay in place better. You'll think you look like a nobber, but after a while you won't care. My missus still shades her eyes when I wear mine. ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
Www.cycle-clothing.co.uk good for large entry level stuff and tenn outdoors too

For women's, dhb stuff comes up small, and doesn't go very big. I don't know about the men's. Altura stuff tends to be real sizing unlike some of cycling brands! Bibs keep your back warm and don't dig in around the waist, although cycling shorts normally have a soft waist band. However, they can pose a challenge when err trying to pee!

Last edited:
OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
Thank's folks. Some great honest answers!

rb58, I will admit, my kidneys were screaming on Monday evening, when I'd done my long ride, it was that cold, but then I did cycle to the moors and back haha.

Vickster, thank you. Thats perfect, it's handy to have info like this, especially as it's mail order, you're hoping that they fit when they arrive. I've got some Tenn overshoes, which are good, but not fantastic. So I'll look at those again, but it's making sure they're warm for ideally all year around, but for now, winter/waterproof.

I changed from normal padded shorts to Bibs and I love them, no more cold back and so much more comfy. At the moment I've only bought decathlon btwin gel padded. I have went from a sore ass on a 5 mile cycle to no sore bum on a 25 mile cycle. They cost me 29.99, a total bargain

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
Hi Nicola,

Would you mind me asking where you bought your bib from?
The Dhb's were about £35/40 if I remember correctly, so although I'd rather spend the money on something right first time, taking Vicksters comment about Dhb's coming short sometimes, I'm now a little wary.

Stephen C

Über Member
I'm a big fan of DHB, bought some bib shorts last May and they are still going strong, wearing them for 30 miles a day almost every day (leg warmers in the winter under the shorts). I think I got them in a sale so they were a bit cheaper, but still worth the money. I found the sizing to be spot on, I'm 5ft 6, with 34 inch waist, the medium are slightly long (as the sizing suggests) but the waist is good. I also prefer bib shorts to others as you don't get a waist band cutting into your middle!

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
Thanks Stephen.

Currently I'm not bothered too much by the waistband, however for the event I'm doing, I want to be as comfortable as possible.
I'd be considering bib tights over shorts, not that confident in myself just yet, as I know I'm still a big lad.

Certainly considering the bib's though, don't like mooning people behind me, plus sounds like I'll be more comfortable and warm.

Stephen C

Über Member
I'd be considering bib tights over shorts, not that confident in myself just yet, as I know I'm still a big lad.
I know the feeling, I'm not the slimmest, it took me a while to make the conversion (9 months!), but the added comfort is massive! Plus, if you are cycling in an event, everyone looks the same, and when training, if you are out in the countryside, no one will see you anyway. I still get ribbing from the girlfriend for looking like a 1900's strongman when I wear them!

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
Haha, no Rob3rt, not a chance!
I wore shorts last year, and got ridiculed on the road, so went back to joggers, killed me through the summer we had, but worth it over the comments and things.

Maybe in another year or so I'll go to bib shorts, but I'll try bib tights first.

Do you tend to wear your cycle jersey's over the straps, or under? From what I gather it's very much personal preference, so will toy with that once I've ordered them.

Will look at the Dhb's, Tenn, and the link Vickster gave, later, as currently at work.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the answers.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Jersey over straps, always. It is not personal preference, this is the way they are intended to be worn. No undies either!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I can't comment on bibs and suchlike, but you can get padded undershorts for an immediate bit of backside relief, to wear under your usual clobber. A fairly quick and cheap remedy. Works for me.

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
I can't comment on bibs and suchlike, but you can get padded undershorts for an immediate bit of backside relief, to wear under your usual clobber. A fairly quick and cheap remedy. Works for me.
I actually have a pair of padded boxers, but didn't take them with me on my training ride, but intend on leaving them in work for when I have another "spur of the moment" after work ride.

Personally though, I'd rather start getting into more cycling clobber, as I'm not just commuting, else I'd not bother with it all.

What sort of distances do you do in those undershorts, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks Rob3rt. Thought I'd ask, instead of looking like a pleb with the straps over.

screenman

Legendary Member
Who ridiculed you? I am sure most of this is in people head, I have been many shapes and sizes and have always worn proper sporting cyclist wear. Not once have I been ridiculed, to my knowledge.

Top Bottom