cycle cafe where cyclists cant meet ????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The ECHR, or at least an interpretation of it written into British law, will remain with us.

These planners are blowing goats with their threat, and clearly haven't sought the advice of solicitors. I'm a rank amateur and can see two significant points of law which undermine it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm planning my September 100 miler on Sunday. Initial thoughts were out to Brighton and back but now I've decided to pay a visit to Velolife to buy some coffee and cake from them.

If I don't make it back, it's because I will be in chokey. I'm a dangerous activist, me.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
And the councillors involved get kicked out.

Can't make stuff like this up.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Actually, I recall that a Friday Night Ride once stopped there (the "Reading Curry Ride" in 2016). I see the words "at any time of the day or night" in the injunction and wonder whether it's all our fault. Was it us rowdy Fridays who were the last straw that caused Mr Angry of Twyford to snap, reach for his green ink, and precipitated all this?

THE INJUNCTION

1. In relation to the Land known as The Old House, AKA The Snooty Fox, currently operating as Velolife, Warren Row, Reading, RG108QS:

(i) Shall not permit, encourage, facilitate, arrange or be party to any arrangement concerning the use of the land and building as a 'cycle meets' place, which would include the gathering of cyclists prior to departing on an organised ride; during organised rides or events or upon completion of organised rides or events.

(ii) Shall not permit, encourage, facilitate, arrange or enter into any agreement to allow the land to be used by congregating cyclists, including but not limited to cycle club members , arriving by any means, including car, van or cycle at any time of day or night.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
So if you own or ride a bike you can't go there, even if you leave the bike at home and walk or drive, in case you might meet with, and therefore congregate, with someone else who owns a bike and walked there.
Think about it. if not for clause (ii) then cyclists (including but not limited to cycle club members*) might try to get around these restrictions by visiting the place by other means, and congregating and talking about puncture kits and wheels and things ... and then where would we be?

* wtf is that supposed to mean. What possible useful information does it impart?

Brains

Legendary Member
Gleaning bits of information from Twitter, I understand the complainant is the previous owner of the pub, and he lives in the house behind the pub\cafe. He is also a councillor.
Rumour is that he is selling his house. Whether the house would be worth more if the cafe was to close is open to speculation. Draw your own conclusions.

He is also a councillor.

There is the nub of the problem
It is also the solution

Whatever money the Velo Cafe has left over after the court case should be donated to the political opposition.

Many moons ago my father objected to a small housing development, totally unsuitable for the area.
Local (independent) counsellor was involved with the developer.
My father stood as an Independent against him, and won!
He got himself elected to the planning committee and then spent the next 9 years blocking all sorts of unsuitable buildings.
Now decades later the area does not have any 'white block' bungalows, as by law they all have to have local stone fascias to blend in with traditional housing.

Top Bottom