cycle cafe where cyclists cant meet ????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Whatever money the Velo Cafe has left over after the court case should be donated to the political opposition.
Yebbut they've already stated that any remaining money will be split between cycling charities Cycing UK and Qhubeka, so that ship has sailed.

Although I'm a bit sceptical of Cycling UK. Didn't they used to be the CTC? What will they do with the money? Build a museum for old Carradice saddlebags?

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
Yebbut they've already stated that any remaining money will be split between cycling charities Cycing UK and Qhubekha, so that ship has sailed.

Although I'm a bit sceptical of Cycling UK. Didn't they used to be the CTC? What will they do with the money? Build a museum for old Carradice saddlebags?

https://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/about-cdf

About CDF

The Cyclists’ Defence Fund was formed to fight significant legal cases involving cycling and cyclists, but its remit has since been broadened to cover all aspects of cycling and the law.

CDF was set up in 2001 by CTC, the national cycling charity in response to the case of Darren Coombes, a nine year old cyclist who suffered brain damage from a collision with a motorist

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just shows you what total A holes some folk are. Turn it back into a rowdy pub with happy hour and karaoke, that will soon hiss off the local ex pub owner and his councillor partner.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Actually, I recall that a Friday Night Ride once stopped there (the "Reading Curry Ride" in 2016). I see the words "at any time of the day or night" in the injunction and wonder whether it's all our fault. Was it us rowdy Fridays who were the last straw that caused Mr Angry of Twyford to snap, reach for his green ink, and precipitated all this?
Indeed the Fridays have made it into the annals of the Planning Inspectorate
On one occasion (I am told) the café opened at 0500 hrs to provide refreshments for a night ride event. This level of activity is likely to be detectable to the occupiers of Ivy Cottage and to have some effects upon their living conditions
https://acp.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/ViewDocument.aspx?fileid=29547330

But those cyclists. They are, how can I put it, hideously ugly
It has been suggested that the visual effects of cyclists congregating at the site, sometime in large numbers, is harmful to the character and appearance of the area.

View attachment 478434
Here is the actual injunction. (Photographed from Twitter)
Apparently "cyclists" can't even turn up in a car.
Whoever wrote this was obviously high
Never seen a better case for complete and outright discrimination, someone
with money should bring this to court, no judge could possibly uphold that,
it is explicitly worded against anyone involved in cycling, to the extent they can’t
even turn up in a car, it violates so many rights, such as going to the toilet, eating,
peaceful assembly to name a few. The dick head that worded that would sh?? a
brick if that were challenged. A private investigator to dig up the past of those
involved in this fiasco would soon establish the warped reasoning and root cause
for this discrimination agains cyclists.

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed the Fridays have made it into the annals of the Planning Inspectorate
On one occasion (I am told) the café opened at 0500 hrs to provide refreshments for a night ride event. This level of activity is likely to be detectable to the occupiers of Ivy Cottage and to have some effects upon their living conditions
https://acp.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/ViewDocument.aspx?fileid=29547330

But those cyclists. They are, how can I put it, hideously ugly
It has been suggested that the visual effects of cyclists congregating at the site, sometime in large numbers, is harmful to the character and appearance of the area.

"Likely to be detectable..."

Well, is it or isn't it? If it is, wheres the evidence? Lots of heresy and supposition, but little substance.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
"Likely to be detectable..."

Well, is it or isn't it? If it is, wheres the evidence? Lots of heresy and supposition, but little substance.
To be fair the thing I've quoted is a planning officer's report - not something from the council. Although wordy it is pretty thorough. However it does reject planning permission for the "cyclists meets" use. In that respect the cafe is bang to rights. They applied for permission and it was refused.

On the other hand it seems that it is the council that is going off on one with bizarre injunctions about cyclists arriving in vans, and threats of action against cycling clubs (which they have been forced to rescind) These appear to be written by an idiot using a style that they think will look legally imposing.

It seems that the council's DPO is probably not a happy person as they are getting a deluge of FOI requests from mischievous Twitterarti.

PS. Did you mean "heresy"?

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Seen this online. It was stopped from becoming a private residence. Read this....

Screenshot_20190830-161350_Twitter.jpg

the snail

Guru
So if you own or ride a bike you can't go there, even if you leave the bike at home and walk or drive, in case you might meet with, and therefore congregate, with someone else who owns a bike and walked there.
It's just a planning decision. It doesn't stop you doing anything. If you organise a club ride starting at the cafe, you might cause problems for the cafe owner though. Nothing to stop you organising the next meeting of the klaxon whistle and drum cycling club starting outside the neighbouring property though?

Proto

Legendary Member
Yebbut they've already stated that any remaining money will be split between cycling charities Cycing UK and Qhubeka, so that ship has sailed.

The cafe’s Just Giving fighting fund has a contribution from the leader of RBWM council, which might make the next meeting interesting!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The cafe’s Just Giving fighting fund has a contribution from the leader of RBWM council, which might make the next meeting interesting!
That was actually a cheeky person who used their name - or someone with the same name. It popped up on Twitter and Simon Whassname denied it was him.

Top Bottom