cycle cafe where cyclists cant meet ????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Actually, I recall that a Friday Night Ride once stopped there (the "Reading Curry Ride" in 2016). I see the words "at any time of the day or night" in the injunction and wonder whether it's all our fault. Was it us rowdy Fridays who were the last straw that caused Mr Angry of Twyford to snap, reach for his green ink, and precipitated all this?

THE INJUNCTION

1. In relation to the Land known as The Old House, AKA The Snooty Fox, currently operating as Velolife, Warren Row, Reading, RG108QS:

(i) Shall not permit, encourage, facilitate, arrange or be party to any arrangement concerning the use of the land and building as a 'cycle meets' place, which would include the gathering of cyclists prior to departing on an organised ride; during organised rides or events or upon completion of organised rides or events.

(ii) Shall not permit, encourage, facilitate, arrange or enter into any agreement to allow the land to be used by congregating cyclists, including but not limited to cycle club members , arriving by any means, including car, van or cycle at any time of day or night.
Could you go at Twilight?

Cycle Cafeeeee!
20190830_215133.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I went there on Sunday. It's a lovely place and does very nice cake. It was very busy with bike racks in the car park all full. Also plenty of parked cars. Clientelle was mixed with some serious looking lycra cyclists and some very fancy bikes on the racks, unserious cyclists (like me), families, some people who looked to be out hiking and people who looked like they had just popped in. There general area was quite busy with riders - it was a nice day - and I noticed several groups ride past as I was sitting there.

The issue seems to have arisen from just one complainant - the resident(s) of Ivy Cottage (which is for sale) - whose driveway crosses the car park, so could be blocked by people in the car park. There are big signs telling patrons that no bikes are allowed in the shared area and that they should not congregate in this area. There is also a big sign telling people not to use Ivy Cottage's drive as an entrance/exit to the car park (there is another entrance/exit along the road that gives access to the car park only). There's also a big sign requesting that people do not use the car park outside of opening hours. As far as I could tell people were complying with these signs.

Overall the problem stems from lax use of language on the part of of the Inspector from the Planning Inspectorate, and the council interpreting this ambiguous wording in an excessive manner suiting their own agenda.

It's possible that - following their embarrassing climbdown after issuing threats of legal action against cycling clubs who use the cafe, they may be beginning to realise that they may well end with more egg on their face, and may be seen to be pursuing an expensive vendetta. (I await the response to this FOI request with interest)

It could be that the signage that I saw comprises the "interim mitigation measures" referred to in this tweet, which seems to imply a softening of attitude.

View: https://twitter.com/RBWM/status/1167388777188397056

Drago

Legendary Member
^^^ Oh dear, a community warden not in their government mandated fluorescent. They actually have no powers unless wearing their full uniform, including florrie and ID card.

Perhaps the carncil should be more honest and say "by not throwing our legal weight around in an expensive, amateurish and unnecessary manner, we can reach a solution."

And if they intend to carry out directed surveillance on these premises, they require an IPA authorisation. It's like RIPA, but without the R. They're not randomly patrolling and coming across stuff, they're actively "monitoring the site", and that requires an IPA signing off. Seems like everyone at the Carncil is a rank amateur.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In answer to the FOI request about the complaints, it seems that two complaints were made over two years. Story here. I think both from the same complainant.

Story here: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...omplaints-two-years-despite-threat-ban-436888
FOI request (incl attachment) here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/details_of_incidents_allegations#incoming-1427657

The FOI request on the costs reports that the total cost to the borough as at 24th Aug was £6,813.00

Question:
I wish to know the cost to date to the Borough of legal action taken
against The Velolife Cafe, Warrren Row, including but not limited to
proceedings in Reading Crown Court on 29 July 2019, preparations for the
proceedings in November 2019 and any other cost incurred in pursuit of the
Borough’s enforcement of Planning Inspectorate Appeal Ref
APP/T0355/C/17/3188329

Answer:
At the time of your request the figure was £6813.00

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/cost_of_legal_action_against_vel

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
If you've been there and liked it enough you might want to consider recommending them as CTC Cycling Cafe of the Year
https://www.cyclinguk.org/webform/cyclist-cafe-year-2019

Done.

Drago

Legendary Member
Nearly 7 gees of public money wasted on this rubbish. Meanwhile, car use in the borough runs rampant and unchecked, despite local and national government imposed targets to reduce pollution and emissions.

Perhaps cyclists could forward their own local council candidates next time around?

classic33

Leg End Member
Nearly 7 gees of public money wasted on this rubbish. Meanwhile, car use in the borough runs rampant and unchecked, despite local and national government imposed targets to reduce pollution and emissions.

Perhaps cyclists could forward their own local council candidates next time around?
Field maybe?

Top Bottom