Cycle chat TT's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Just an idea I had for a bit of fun for those of us that use strava and the like .
As a few of us are in the same areas up and down the country why not pick a safe spot for a short time trial and post the results on here ?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
There is a 10 mile tt round Regents Park.
http://app.strava.com/segments/5042544?filter=following
My best time, but it is very hard to get a clean lap around there with all the peds and traffic lights.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
That's local enough for me to give it a go :thumbsup:
My thinking was it doesn't have to be anywhere near 10 miles though . It can be as long or as short as people want it to be . It can be like the one you posted or just a 0.2 mile trip to the shop on a bat bike :becool:
My local one would be Richmond park on an easy flat between Kingston and Wimbledon .

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I cycle in a challenge series on Strava set for people in my profession in the Manchester area. The organiser picks a segment, normally a climb and we have a month to log our fastest time. It certainly gives you a bit of added motivation. A few of us are pretty evenly matched, there is one guy who is just that bit quicker up the hills. I think I need to ramp my training up to catch him. :training:

derrick

That's local enough for me to give it a go :thumbsup:
My thinking was it doesn't have to be anywhere near 10 miles though . It can be as long or as short as people want it to be . It can be like the one you posted or just a 0.2 mile trip to the shop on a bat bike :becool:
My local one would be Richmond park on an easy flat between Kingston and Wimbledon .
Yes it has to be 10 mile, what is the point of 0.2 miles, unless it is up a really steep hill, i don't understand why people put small segments like that on Strava, there seams to be to many segments around Regents Park,

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The point was , for on here it can be what people want it to be . A 10 mile ride for some may be a massive ride let alone a TT .
My idea was that you can have a 10 mile TT and my Granny can have her 0.2 mile TT . Its just an idea that may or may not work and just a bit of fun .

Yes it has to be 10 mile, what is the point of 0.2 miles, unless it is up a really steep hill, i don't understand why people put small segments like that on Strava, there seams to be to many segments around Regents Park,

Similarly, what's the point of people challenging others on strava - if you want to race then get a number on your back and do it properly rather than fooling yourself and others. Man up.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Similarly, what's the point of people challenging others on strava - if you want to race then get a number on your back and do it properly rather than fooling yourself and others. Man up.
I think you are missing the point. It gives a bit of motivation. I strap a number to my back as well as competeing in a Strava challenge with a group of guys the majority of whom race or have raced. You still have to "man up" to post a fast time up a five mile hill segment. The two actions are not mutually exclusive.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I like a Strava seg now and then but won't be taking up racing. And I never fool myself or others, I take Strava for what it is and enjoy it. There is clearly a place for it given its massive popularity and with a group can be challenging and adds a little competitive edge to a ride. To give the big 'man up' statement seems a bit out of place to me.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just an idea I had for a bit of fun for those of us that use strava and the like .
As a few of us are in the same areas up and down the country why not pick a safe spot for a short time trial and post the results on here ?
I have been doing it for the past months in this thread. I have taken about 6 minutes off my time, but am still about 10 minutes slower than @Rob3rt, whose ride was done in much harsher conditions than I ride in! :surrender:

derrick

It'suote="Marmion, post: 2960309, member: 33185"]Similarly, what's the point of people challenging others on strava - if you want to race then get a number on your back and do it properly rather than fooling yourself and others. Man up.

At 62 years old my racing days are behind me, apart from clubb TTs and Club Hill climbs that is it, but i still like to have a bit of fun, to me that is what Strava is all about. As for that Man up comment, you obviously don't know me, and as far as i am concerned i will carry on having fun on my bikes, i ain't ready to grow old just yet.^_^

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have been doing it for the past months in this thread. I have taken about 6 minutes off my time, but am still about 10 minutes slower than @Rob3rt, whose ride was done in much harsher conditions than I ride in! :surrender:

But I am in my 20's, was race fit at the time (it was about 1-2 weeks out from the National Hill Climb) and on a ~7kg bike and not recovering from a serious illness!

I'll be faster next time! :tongue:

BTW, there is an open hill climb on Cragg Vale on the 1st July. I might take a punt, but will probably be a bit heavy in July as I'll be in time trial mode!

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
But I am in my 20's, was race fit at the time (it was about 1-2 weeks out from the National Hill Climb) and on a ~7kg bike and not recovering from a serious illness!
At 58 I can always play the age card in terms of not getting close to your times, but it's not an excuse for not getting down into the low 20s.

Without getting lighter wheels, my Cannondale is about 8 kg so not a lot to gain there, but I could lose about 1.5 kg by leaving spares and drinks at the bottom of the hill and wearing less clothing. I should still be able to lose about 4 kg or so from myself without losing power.

I'm hoping that my body will recover enough from my illness to be able to get back to a decent level of fitness. I will never be what I could have been pre-illness, but maybe I can get to 90% or so?

I'll be faster next time! :tongue:
I'm sure that you and @dr_pink would have done much quicker times if you'd had decent weather on the day!

BTW, there is an open hill climb on Cragg Vale on the 1st July. I might take a punt, but will probably be a bit heavy in July as I'll be in time trial mode!
If the sun is shining I will ride halfway up the hill and stand on the steepest bit to watch.

Top Bottom