Cycle clothing for newbies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kapelmuur

Veteran
Impossible to answer without knowing what you intend to use the bike for, leisure, utility, sport, touring?
Yes, I should have qualified my comments by saying that my rides on a road bike are 2 1/2 hours plus.

When riding my hybrid for less than an hour I just wear ordinary clothes.

When I first began riding for longer I wore my old running kit until I worked out what cycle specific kit I needed .

Padded shorts were too of the list followed by SPD shoes.

tom73

Guru
+1 for buying what you need when you need it. That's how I've done it over the last year or so once I worked out what worked best for me.
Keep a look out on eBay plenty of high end brand bargains to be had if you keep your eye out.

vickster

Legendary Member
+1 for buying what you need when you need it. That's how I've done it over the last year or so once I worked out what worked best for me.
Keep a look out on eBay plenty of high end brand bargains to be had if you keep your eye out.
Just make sure they're not actually Chinese fakes however....or second hand shorts xx(

tom73

Guru
No not often in my size or go for more than I can find online. If they clearly come with tags and in original packaging and many come from a eBay store. So not a problem.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just ride in any old clobber and when something causes a problem, replace with bike specific stuff. Bum sore? Try padded shorts. Bum not sore? Don't. Padded sorts problematic in some way? Try bibs. Padded shorts OK? Then don't bother with bibs (I never have)

Nooooooo... Don't wear the Vans man. Spend exponentially more on contact points, shoes gloves padded shorts. If you are XL forget anything stylish and Italian, my attic is full of unworn lovely tops that would be snug on an actionman.

Just ride in any old clobber and when something causes a problem, replace with bike specific stuff. Bum sore? Try padded shorts. Bum not sore? Don't. Padded sorts problematic in some way? Try bibs. Padded shorts OK? Then don't bother with bibs (I never have)

I'd go with that too: I've never worn cycling specific clothing for long or short rides.

I don't wear a H*lm*t either but rural Germany is probably a little less scary for cycling.

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Impossible to answer without knowing what you intend to use the bike for, leisure, utility, sport, touring?

Good call.

So, my question was for when I will be riding for leisure on Saturday mornings and likely I'll be doing 20-60 miles rides (20 to start with and work my way up to longer rides).

Anyways, thanks very much for all your suggestions.

Good shout to who mentioned gloves and eyewear, didn't think of that at all. Cheers!

I think the item I will have to make sure I pick right and spend more money on is going to be a good pair of padded shorts. Then gloves, then a base layer (actually, I've got a few of those "compression tops" I use at the gym and when I go running...are they similar to the base layers?)

Ride in whatever you've got, you'll soon find what works and what doesn't. It took me years of riding to transition to cycling wear, I'm glad I did, it is better but you don't need to start with it. My suggestions are just that.

Shoes and pedals: stiff shoes are better and a pedal with some grip, little pins are the best will stop your foot slipping in the rain etc...
Padded shorts: Once you've done 20 miles in seamed underpants in the cold you might think about these more. They will not chafe, will provide some comfort for a posterior unused to the rigours of cycling and, especially in winter, will keep your nether regions warm, wet cotton undies will not. You don't want to be doing a ride wondering if your todger will drop off when you finish! I only buy shorts not bib shorts and in winter I just put a pair of running bottoms over the top of them.
Tops: Don't wear cotton t-shirts. Sweat will quickly soak them and they will feel cold and clammy. Man made fibres are best
Waterproof: it's not so much for the rain but for the windchill. Once you're wet a driving headwind, with rain will quickly chill you, a gilet or waterproof will help enormously.
Gloves: definitely help cushion things, will help with hand numbness and grip
Caps/helmets: If you're a glasses wearer consider a helmet with a peak, keeps the worst of the rain off your specs or wear a cycling cap underneath your helmet.
Jackets: Coming into winter a jacket will be necessary. Cycling jackets are generally windproof at the front and breathable at the back. Makes a big difference to a total unbreathable hard shell.

Alternatives and preferences to all of that exist. If you want looser cycle clothing look at mtb clothing, baggy shorts and tops, endura are good.

vickster

Legendary Member
Good call.

So, my question was for when I will be riding for leisure on Saturday mornings and likely I'll be doing 20-60 miles rides (20 to start with and work my way up to longer rides).

Anyways, thanks very much for all your suggestions.

Good shout to who mentioned gloves and eyewear, didn't think of that at all. Cheers!

I think the item I will have to make sure I pick right and spend more money on is going to be a good pair of padded shorts. Then gloves, then a base layer (actually, I've got a few of those "compression tops" I use at the gym and when I go running...are they similar to the base layers?)
Yes to your last question

Me. :blush: Even the smallest fly in your eye can be painful. A larger insect can lead to a fairly impressive shiner.

Yes, they're much the same. I use running tops as base layers. When it gets really cold, skiing base layers with a roll neck are the bees knees.

And as others have said, a winter jacket with a fleece lining and a windproof front is a good investment.

Ride in whatever you've got, you'll soon find what works and what doesn't. It took me years of riding to transition to cycling wear, I'm glad I did, it is better but you don't need to start with it. My suggestions are just that.

Padded shorts: Once you've done 20 miles in seamed underpants in the cold you might think about these more. They will not chafe, will provide some comfort for a posterior unused to the rigours of cycling and, especially in winter, will keep your nether regions warm, wet cotton undies will not. You don't want to be doing a ride wondering if your todger will drop off when you finish! I only buy shorts not bib shorts and in winter I just put a pair of running bottoms over the top of them.

I'll throw another alternative into the ring - seamless and wicking running underwear.

Of course, my plumbing is of the female variety so some aspects don't apply to me, but these are well worth considering, especially if cycling in ordinary clothes.

Top Bottom