Cycle clothing for newbies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigMeatball

So, with my bike dispatched and ready to be collected in hopefully 3-4 days, now it's time for me to start thinking about clothing. I've done some research on the net and watched a fair share of youtube videos. Obviously need some advice and would like to hear your opinion.

I'm looking for the basic, minimal clothing items list. Having spent some money on the bike itself, I would want to just buy the bare minimum to get me going and buy more as I go.

- Helmet. Must have. Generally around £40-50
- Base layer. Is it necessary? I'm leaning towards yes so if you can recommend brands with good value for money, that would be great. Also, sleveless/short sleeves?
- Shorts. Waist vs bib? I'm leaning towards waist shorts because on average they're a bit cheaper (less material?) and also I can't help but thinking bib shorts are among the most ridiculous looking things I've seen. Having said that, what should I look for in a pair of shorts? Padding and....?
- Top. What are the benefits of wearing a jersey vs a simple tshirt? Main advantage of a tshirt for me personally would be I've got dozens so wouldn't have to spend a penny.
- Shoes. Not gonna need them. I'm going with flat pedals so my vans will do just fine.
- Rain jacket. Leaning towards not getting one. Simply because I sweat quite a lot so, rain or not, I'll be soaking wet in 10 minutes
- Gloves? Do I need a pair? They're all quite cheap so I'm not averse to it if there are benefits

As always, thanks :smile:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My suggestion? Try a few different ones. Everyone has preferences. For example Vans are very floppy shoes and you need something with a stiff sole.

If you're riding all year then you will need mitts and gloves plus a winter jacket.

vickster

Legendary Member
You don’t need a cycling jersey, any wicking running or sports type top will do. Although people can like the pockets and also zips can make undressing easy if using bibs. Avoid cotton if a sweaty person

You don’t need a baselayer unless cold

Helmet, don’t buy on price alone. Go for fit and comfort (try in shop, avoid online unless you know which is right)

Gloves are imo the most vital item. If you come off, scraped hands fecking hurt (and you WILL land on them)...cold fingers are unpleasant and padding helps with comfort

Get a buff aka necktube too for cold. If you’re bald and sweaty, they can be worn under the helmet too to stop salty sweat stinging eyes

Eyewear a must too

As above, unless you’re just doing a few miles or less, vans will lead to footache

This all gets asked quite a lot, so perhaps do a search :smile:

Last edited:

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Helmet - Giro Indicator good vfm

Base layer - short sleeve in high viz will double up as outer layer for summer

Shoes - are your van's soles groved enough to grip the pedals in wet?

Raincoat - don't forget rain is cold and sweat is warm

Gloves - for winter use if you buy cheap you buy twice

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
So, with my bike dispatched and ready to be collected in hopefully 3-4 days, now it's time for me to start thinking about clothing. I've done some research on the net and watched a fair share of youtube videos. Obviously need some advice and would like to hear your opinion.

I'm looking for the basic, minimal clothing items list. Having spent some money on the bike itself, I would want to just buy the bare minimum to get me going and buy more as I go.

- Helmet. Must have. Generally around £40-50
- Base layer. Is it necessary? I'm leaning towards yes so if you can recommend brands with good value for money, that would be great. Also, sleveless/short sleeves?
- Shorts. Waist vs bib? I'm leaning towards waist shorts because on average they're a bit cheaper (less material?) and also I can't help but thinking bib shorts are among the most ridiculous looking things I've seen. Having said that, what should I look for in a pair of shorts? Padding and....?
- Top. What are the benefits of wearing a jersey vs a simple tshirt? Main advantage of a tshirt for me personally would be I've got dozens so wouldn't have to spend a penny.
- Shoes. Not gonna need them. I'm going with flat pedals so my vans will do just fine.
- Rain jacket. Leaning towards not getting one. Simply because I sweat quite a lot so, rain or not, I'll be soaking wet in 10 minutes
- Gloves? Do I need a pair? They're all quite cheap so I'm not averse to it if there are benefits

As always, thanks :smile:
So you sound as though you are looking to get started on a limited budget, check out Planet X, unfortunately you’re not going to be able to try for size/fit so check their size charts and of course you can always return unwanted items.
They do decent eye wear, essential to stop bugs and wind and also have a look at their range of gloves too.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HECACROIX/carnac-croix-road-helmet

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXCMBS/planet-x-clubman-bib-shorts

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCARLSSB/carnac-short-sleeve-base-layer-made-in-italy

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPX365NT/planet-x-pro-365x-neck-tube

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLHPROCSS/holdsworth-pro-cycling-club-short-sleeve-jersey

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPX365ATMSJ/planet-x-365-atmoshield-jacket

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
I lasted a week with shorts moved to bibs never looked back they may look silly but who see's them once you put them on?
Comfort is everything good fitting pair wins hands down over shorts.
Only you will know what brand works for you it may take a few go's before you find the right ones.
Gloves are a must falling off and de-gloving your hand is no fun :whistle: plus once the weather turns cold hands are painful so look out for a good warm pair too.
You may want to look at some arm and leg warmers too. Handy for cold mornings but warms up mid ride.

kapelmuur

Veteran
I don’t get on with bibs and mostly wear waist shorts. I saw a photo of Eddy Merckx wearing waist shorts with detachable braces and I copied that for a couple of pairs that don’t come high enough at the back when I’m bent over in the drops. Also, if you ride on the hoods or tops bibs aren’t necessary.

I recommend a merino base layer, the Aldi ones are good and very competitively priced.

eBay for jerseys, I have a collection of retro jerseys which cost peanuts. I once treated myself to a Rapha jersey and it’s the worst one I have - it cost almost 10 times as much as an eBay purchase!

I wouldn’t want to ride more than a few minutes in a T shirt, too short at the back a quick to get sweaty and clammy. Plus no pockets.

si_c

Guru
Last year I did quite a bit of mileage - it was mostly in a t-shirt with a base layer and a pair of hi-tec lightweight shorts - not padded. Not full on cycling gear as I was commuting. You don't need cycling gear but it does make long days in the saddle more comfortable - if I'm doing an all day outing I tend to wear lycra as it's more comfortable over longer distances as it doesn't rub. I like baselayers as an extra - I often wear a thin long sleeve base layer underneath a Polo shirt simply as it prevents a bit of chafing if it's hot and it helps wick the moisture away from your skin.

I'd suggest you need the following

• Gloves - pretty much non-negotiable as they protect your hands if you fall and as @vickster says you will land on them
  • Saddle bag with tools and a pump and an inner tube (I know you asked for clothing, but this is more useful IMO)
If you feel more comfortable wearing a helmet then do so, but they are by no means a must have.

As you ride more, and get more familiar with what does and doesn't work, consider adding in (in order of importance for me)

• Cycling Jersey - these are cut slightly differently to a t-shirt and can be more comfortable on longer rides, plus pockets are useful.
  • Shoes - stiffer soled cycling shoes are more comfortable as they don't allow your feet to flex around so much - and I don't mean clipless (clip in type) pedals either as a good MTB shoe will do nicely - if you like Vans, then something like 5 ten will suit you.
  • Bib-Shorts - IMO better than waist shorts as the straps keep the short part in place and reduce chafing and improve comfort
  • Rain Jacket
I often ride in jeans and a t-shirt and am quite comfortable, so find what works for you, don't be afraid to experiment, but be aware that some budget cycling gear is pretty terrible (Sport Direct), whereas some is pretty decent (Aldi or Lidl stuff for example).

vickster

Legendary Member
L... but be aware that some budget cycling gear is pretty terrible (Sport Direct), whereas some is pretty decent (Aldi or Lidl stuff for example).

Perhaps not as good as it was.

I tend to buy 'better' brands which start off (more) expensive but get reduced, so keep an eye on retailers such as Sigma Sport, Evans, Merlin, Cycle Surgery, Cycle Republic (part of Halfords)

Be aware (IIRC you are quite a big chap) some clothing (Italian brands especially) is sized VERY VERY small (XXXL More like a normal M if that!) and probably avoid anything that is sold as race/pro/form fit! Altura and Pearl Izumi a bit more generous (as long as avoiding the racing snake cuts)

Decathlon can be ok, but again meanly sized IME (at least you can try if have a branch locally)

Venod

Eh up
As mentioned above Planet X have value for money clothing, my son has just bought one of their Carnac helmets it's just as good as my rather expensive Specialized.
They also do my favourite bib shorts, On One race, very reasonable for a quality short and bibs are more comfortable than ordinary shorts.
You don't need a cycling jumper but the rear pockets are very handy.
Shoes are a topic that generates a lot of discussion on the forum, IMO stiff soles are better but not a must.
I am with you on the rain jacket even ones claimed as breathable are a bit boil in the bag for me, but if it's cold rainy and windy they can be a life saver.

Sharky

Guru
I don’t get on with bibs and mostly wear waist shorts. I saw a photo of Eddy Merckx wearing waist shorts with detachable braces and I copied that for a couple of pairs that don’t come high enough at the back when I’m bent over in the drops. Also, if you ride on the hoods or tops bibs aren’t necessary.

I recommend a merino base layer, the Aldi ones are good and very competitively priced.

eBay for jerseys, I have a collection of retro jerseys which cost peanuts. I once treated myself to a Rapha jersey and it’s the worst one I have - it cost almost 10 times as much as an eBay purchase!

I wouldn’t want to ride more than a few minutes in a T shirt, too short at the back a quick to get sweaty and clammy. Plus no pockets.

I knew I had something in common with Eddy Merckx! I too wear waist tights/shorts with braces, so I can adjust them easily to the right tension. After breaking collar bones I found I couldn't wear tight fitting bibs.

Going into the autumn seasons, make sure you cover your knees. Tights made of "Roubaix" material are very cozy.

Impossible to answer without knowing what you intend to use the bike for, leisure, utility, sport, touring?

^^^ this

No need to spend big money - just pick up bits as and when you really need them. That way you will avoid making (expensive) mistakes and buying a load of stuff that just ends up sitting in the cupboard. A lot of cycling kit choices are really personal anyway, so what works for one person might not necessarily work for you.

For a helmet something like a Bell Paradox is a good bargain at £25. Another must have are gloves - as we're heading into autumn, some mid-weight full finger ones would be good, and if you come off, they'll protect your palms from abrasion. The other one item I would say are some cheap clear cycling glasses as they'll keep the muck out of your eyes.

Beyond that, you could probably get started with items in your current wardrobe or that can be easily bought cheaply in non cycling specific shops. Running tops make good wicking base layers. Believe me, a t-shirt is the most uncomfortable thing ever on a bike once you've got it all icky and sweaty. Any lightweight fleece is fine for weather that's a touch chilly. Football training tops are good for this too as they tend to be more windproof than a basic fleece. As for below the waist - I ride mainly unpadded, so hiking shorts or trousers would work well. Just check that the crotch seams don't rub. Shoes - any lightweight walking shoes would work if you'll be riding on flats.

If there's one near you, I'd recommend checking out Decathlon - though their sizing can be a bit odd, so be prepared to try everything on.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You really need very little cycle specific stuff. I use ordinary cotton shorts and short sleeve shirt or T shirt. I do have some Endura Humvees which are great but expensive.
As above try Decathlon they have good vfm gear, maybe some padded shorts might help you. If the weather is hot synthetic wicking material is good for tops. They also do some very good MTB shoes about £25, helmets too which you can try.

Top Bottom