Cycle clothing for newbies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Be aware (IIRC you are quite a big chap) some clothing (Italian brands especially) is sized VERY VERY small (XXXL More like a normal M if that!) and probably avoid anything that is sold as race/pro/form fit! Altura and Pearl Izumi a bit more generous (as long as avoiding the racing snake cuts)

Thanks for the advice, I'll stay away from Italian brands then.

Being a bit of a unit is both a blessing and a curse: according to all the size charts for clothes, I'm not finding many jerseys that can accommodate my 49" chest so my choice is limited BUT the ones I'm finding are usually the sizes they can't sell (2XL and 3XL) so the prices are much lower.

I'm going to order a bunch of stuff (jerseys and shorts) from amazon, see what fits and send back what doesn't.

Helmet wise, I tried a few in store and got this one https://www.cyclerepublic.com/kask-rapido-road-helmet.html

vickster

Legendary Member
You could look at Fat Lad at the Back, not a budget brand

Tenn also does big cheaper stuff, also Polaris

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
A few things I swear by:

Endura Humvee shorts. They are baggy shorts over a clip in lycra padded cycling short. All the lycra without looking like an elephant squashed into a sausage skin (of course if you are a racing snake this doesn't apply).

Gloves (I went with bright yellow so people can REALLY SEE ME INDICATING - YES YOU IN THE AUDI THAT IS MY HAND....

Helmet debate rages - I changed sides and started wearing one after I fractured my nose.

Shoes - take a look at the pedals on your bike. Some of them can be really sharp. I found mine just destroyed trainers, so I got some Five Ten mountain bike shoes and have never looked back. The soles last longer than the uppers.

A wicking shirt is nice, but I wear t-shirts a lot too. A pakka-mak style waterproof is useful in downpours and also when you get a cold wind.

If you suffer from cold head / neck / ears etc a buff is magnificent. Due to being a little folicly challenged I also have a nice little skull cap for under my helmet in the winter.

As for the eyes, I just wear sunnies.

If you get any issues in the downstairs department, I have found that Chamois cream is frankly magical. It's all personal preference though. My BIL just wears his running shorts and shirt, but he is made of iron (one of those people that does marathons for fun).

Top Bottom