Cycle clothing size charts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are cyclists getting bigger? One would reasonably assume that cyclists are in general fit, healthy and relatively er, trim in shape, why then are the cycling size charts you find on most well known internet sites aimed at "larger" sized people? For example, if I want to buy a pair of bib shorts in a make I have never tried before, I refer to their size chart which tells me that for my height my waist must be xxxcm when in fact it is at least 10cm smaller, but if I disregard that and go purely on my height as per the chart then I would be xxl or even xxxl. Crazy! Anyone else have the same problem?

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Nope. Not me......

...and well you know it!

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I'm similar to you. I always go on waist size for shorts, and if the shoulder straps are too tight then the shorts get returned, though generally they've been stretchy enough to be OK, especially once sitting on the bike in a vaguely aero(ish) position. Any height references I just ignore.

Tojo

Über Member
I ordered some bib tights back in the winter we didn't have and thought that can't be right, but went with the size chart and ordered small and when they arrived they were too big, in length and width at the waist, I think if you order Italian gear it's on the small side and you have to go on size up but the uk manufactures seem to be the other way round and go down one, but look at the German sizes and I can't get anything to fit they are huge.......:wacko:

Tojo

Über Member
Cycle clothes sizing charts (especially shoes) bear no relation to the real world. If you buy online, make sure that the supplier has a free returns policy.

I agree, I only order cycle clothing from Wiggle, as when you get it list's got a free return label, spot on, no worries about repackaging and going through the rigmarole of why you are returning it,........and there's always harribos, obviously they don't get returned......yum, :thumbsup: to Wiggle IMO they provide the best service out there....:cheers:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I'm a man of short leg, about 27" but with wide shoulders and a deep chest. As a result, be it cycle clothing or otherwise I seem to be between sizes on most things.
I've had to send bibs back before as the straps would be better hung off my ears rather than my shoulders, and I've had shorts that look like 3/4 length!
If I buy a buttoned shirt I have to put my arms over my head etc to see if I have mobility when I try it on. On a long sleeved shirt, if the chest fits, the sleeves are normally 4" too long.

kiriyama

Being tall and skinny i have the same problem. I would tend to go off waist size which is usually a small. If the shoulder straps feel tight they tend to stretch a bit after a couple of rides.

I have usualy wear a small jersey but then I have the sleeve problem. And sometimes they are too short in the body! But I also have small jerseys that flap around in the wind. The trick is finding a brand that fits. Iv found two brands of jerseys that fit my body type (typical expensive!)

If anyone knows a manufacturer of bib shorts for tall skinny blokes, let me know! Preferably cheap!

byegad

Legendary Member
Being larger than I should be the size charts are useless.
I usually buy XL tops, sweatshirt, knitted Sweater, Tshirt all XL. I can mail order a walking waterproof in XL from some manufacturers and it will fit, but in other brands of walking gear I need an XXL. In cycling wear I have XL, XXL, XXXL and even XXXXL tops, all of which fit.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's called vanity sizing. Try buying a pair of trousers in the same waist you wore ten years ago, if you haven't added weight you'll find they will fall down.
I have never understood why they don't just tell you the size in inches and/or cms and forget arbitrary labels like 'XL' or '14'.

My jerseys used to be horribly stretched by my gut, but are now looking pretty loose now that I have got slim. I will have to start buying the next size down in future. Now, would that be XL, L, or M ... :whistle:

Top Bottom