Cycle Clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cooser

Having recently bought myself a new bike and getting keener to ride and this summer being what it is: I’ve been cycling in the rain. I’ve discovered that normal shorts and cagoule are absolutely hopeless. In the cycle shops there’s loads of expensive gear, but I am unsure if I should get some sort of shirt or a coat, be it water proof or semi water proof as I’ve seen some are. Then there are shoes, do you guys wear water proof shoes or normal trainers (I do not have clips on the pedals). Also, is there a good web site anyone can recommend? Thanks.

wlc1

Right. What's your budget ?

Go for bib shorts and tights for the legs, then get a cycling shirt, gillet and good quality waterproof. The secret is layers. peel them off and then out them on.

I have shoes with cleats and when windy or raining I wear overshoes.... I would recommend going clipless - it's so much more efficient.

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/

Great family run business and extremely friendly - good for beginners and experts alike.

Or http://www.wiggle.co.uk/d/Cycle/7/1/1/

Good luck and don't worry - it's all still daunting for me too

OP
OP
C

Cooser

Thanks for the tips. Have now got myself a good jacket, I’ve tried it in the rain and very successful the problem now is the shorts. Not sure if I can do spandex yet, I’m using some walking type shorts at present. Any other suggestions.

OP
OP
C

Cooser

You need something man-made that dries quickly. You can get waterproof overtrousers -they'll keep you warm, but not dry as as well as keeping the rain out they'll keep the sweat in.

If you're not doing long distances then any sports shorts will do. If you are riding distances though you'd be better off with something padded, and that will be cycling-specific.

I suppose football shorts would do the job there're fairly thin and man made fibres? I'm doing about 15 miles at a time for now but am aiming to up it over the next few weeks.

OP
OP
C

Cooser

Excellent: Thanks.

I wear 3/4 length Endura Humvee's with clip in padded Lycra shorts and they have been very comfy even on the longer rides ... you can get away with cheaper tops but for gods sake dont try to skimp too much on the shorts (your arse will thank you for it) ;)

Simon

jashburnham

Waterproofs are a bit of a waste of time if you are exerting yourself. The problem is that they really aren't breathable enough (even the v expensive Gore-Tex). As a result your sweat cannot escape and you end up getting wet anyway. Best option is to go for a good quality windproof and lightweight wicking cycle specific clothing. As others have said wear lycra shorts even if they are under baggies and make sure the baggies can cope with water, the last thing you want are heavy clothes that absorb water and sweat.

domtyler

Über Member
Just get some cycling clothes, lycra shorts, jersey and so on and get used to wearing them now. Your nearest and dearest will happily take the piss at first but the novelty soon wears off, even if you have to walk through a busy office first thing in the morning.

OP
OP
C

Cooser

domtyler said:
Just get some cycling clothes, lycra shorts, jersey and so on and get used to wearing them now. Your nearest and dearest will happily take the piss at first but the novelty soon wears off, even if you have to walk through a busy office first thing in the morning.

Ok, I get the message,:blush: I know it makes sense. I've been married for 28 years so I should be immune to the piss taking by now!:ohmy:

Young Un

iwear lycra bib shorts but did not want to wear just them. so into matalan i went to get sum tech looking overshorts. walk out with 2 pairs of nice grey lightweight short - buy one get one free for 8 quid - sorted!!

Top Bottom