Cycle Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboytaylor

CyclingSAM said:
If i could find a Sundy cycle I could still do the Lydden Cycle club?

Yes - it looks like the same club who go out on a ride on Sundays goes to the track on Tuesdays - VC Deal. Call them.

CyclingSAM said:
The Lydden circuit isn't racing.

Probably a chain gang. There's nothing to stop you doing it and I think it's great if anyone wants to get into cycling more, as you've set out in your other posts, but going straight to Lydden and trying to join the back of a chain gang may be a bit like learning to swim just by jumping into the South Pacific!

Like I keep saying, call the guy at VC Deal - his name and number is at the bottom of the page I previously linked to. He'll give you all the info - sounds like the other guy you spoke to runs just the track....

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Cycling Sam, your going out to do 36 miles?
I thought you said you did 32 miles every day?

Oh, and CyclingSam doesnt really take advice. He just seems to ask the same questions over and over again, even though he gets pages and pages of advice.

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

Joe24 said:
Cycling Sam, your going out to do 36 miles?
I thought you said you did 32 miles every day?

Oh, and CyclingSam doesnt really take advice. He just seems to ask the same questions over and over again, even though he gets pages and pages of advice.

Im improving my miles?

Also i found a sunday cycle coming up for the 5th July, its a 50m ride.

A longer ride (approx 50 miles) taking in the Crab & Winkle Way, Oyster Bay Trail, and Viking Coastal Trail out to Sandwich, returning between the orchards to Canterbury. Suitable for regular cyclists.

theboytaylor

CyclingSAM said:
Also i found a sunday cycle coming up for the 5th July, its a 50m ride.
Good luck with that. Make sure you get in and ask plenty of questions, just like you have here :ohmy:.
Without wanting to be too critical, it's still not with a full-on cycle club - more a campaign group with organised rides, so I'd recommend getting in touch with a cycling club - Google is your friend:
http://www.kent.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/explore-kent/cycling/cycle-clubs.htm.

There's still 2 weekends before 5th July.....

EDIT: Just re-read your first post. Out of interest, what does it say at the top of the form you've been given to fill in? i.e. is there a club name or something?

theboytaylor

CyclingSAM said:
Velo Club Deal

VC deal
...is on the form? So I guess you could go on a Saturday or Sunday club run and talk to a couple of people?

I know I'm only guessing as to what goes on at Lydden but if it IS a chain gang, you're in for a baptism of fire. For instance, my club does chain gangs throughout the week and leave people all over the North Downs if they can't keep up. Also, they expect you to do your turns on the front and know how to ride in a close group. They're tough.

The weekend rides (or juniors) would probably be a better introduction.

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

I wont be riding with the adults i dont think.

At lydden, there be going round but maybe just faster.. and not actually cycling with me on the track.

At Fowlmead that go friday nights to do time trials i think, but im not sure if im with them, ill have no chance in a time trial against them.

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

Did my longest ride today, 65 mile ride

Started Canterbury west station and around and back again was a good root bit bumpy on some parts and got sunburnt bad!

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Surely this guy is taking the pi55? 13-16mph rides, back pain after 2 miles, never raced or ridden with a club and he aspires to ride the TdF? Surely a wind-up merchant?

F4:13

I ride at Lydden every tuesday and agree with the 'Brutal' description. The average speed is around 26mph sometimes more. It is a training race and so is different to a certain extent from a normal race. Some will practise attacking, get exhausted, take a lap out and join in again and repeat the process. Others will treat it like a normal race and get a break going, normally the same blokes each week. Staying in the bunch is all some can hope to do but if you do get dropped you can wait to get lapped and join in again no problem.
The only problem I find with it is that the bunch will rarely get its act together to chase a break properly, its usually just 4 or 5 riders doing their best while everyone else sits on. If you accept this then its fine, it is only training after all.
Sometimes we get a real star turn up, e.g Kristian House, which is nice.

Top Bottom