Cycle Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CyclingSAM

Ok hi..

Right been down to Dover in the southeast, Lydden and spoke the owner of a Cycling track and also owns Fowlmead, someone said they named it RC.

He asked me my Max miles ive done, i said 45

Also asked me my Average speed i said 13-16

The Club is 26 MPH Average

They are all about 25 -30 years old

He gave me a form to fill in

Cost is £4-12 i think

At Lydden its on Tuesdays,

Fowlmead

Fridays Evening 6:30pm

Saturday 10:30am

At Fowlmead is 10 Mile Time Trials

Im wanting to get the right cycling gear before i go, witch is tuesday

Meaning the SPD SL pedals, shoes, A better Helmet Fingerless gloves

Im wondering if anyone knows how much that would come to?

Also i still get back lower pain, i dont know if my posture is crap on the bike but can anyone get some sort of picture that would show me how to have the correct posture on bike.

Stretches, what sort of stretches/Warms up do i actually do before the tracks?

At the momont my pedals on my road bike are just like plain normal pedals.

My cycling shoes have like 2 studs at the front and just hook into the pedals i usually get like a hot pain in my toes ( i sorta cycle on my toes) Is this why? And will the SPD shoes/pedals stop this as your feet are sorta in the middle?

Ive moved my seat up and down, forwards and back and same with the handle bars i still get back lower back pain.

My Road bikes tires are not the best there just normally thin plain ones, I was wondering if they would be any good the tracks in TT's etc.

Also another thing was i saw cyclists put greace on their legs? Why? Is it for Wind resistance lol?

Chrisz

Über Member
My advice?

Before you go off in a rush to buy lots of new kit have a few goes first.

Lydden is brutal!! Be warned.

Fowlmead can be fun but gets into a right old mess if it's wet.

You could also have a go with some of the local cycling clubs on their Sunday runs - Ashfod Wheelers, Deal Tri or Canterbury/Downlands are good places to start.

Ashford Wheelers Club runs start from the Motorline (Driveline) Renault Garage on the A28 heading towards Great Chart and just south of the town centre, leaving promptly at 9.00 a.m. every other Sunday (next run is on the 28th).

Canterbury/Downlands go from outside the old Post Office in Canterbury at 08:30 every Sunday.

montage

God Almighty
The Club is 26 MPH Average

This is a lie unless it is a very very very high level club.

Get yourself fitted out - a good £50 investment I reckon. Shoes - got for some around £50.....you can get pedals and cleats for about £35ish on ebay.

So not cheap but will get you going.

Glad to see you are making an effort ;)

Will1985

Über Member
26mph average? That's stupidly quick - normally it is about 20.
With your average speeds, you'll have to sit tight on wheels or get dropped pretty quickly - thus there is a need to be confident riding in a group.

Don't worry about not having the right gear straight away. Get chatting to some people on the ride and they might be able to give you some tips.

If you still haven't ridden clipless, trying it out first time on a club run is a very bad idea.

Riders putting grease on their legs before they ride? Sounds like oil - poseurs if you ask me...a bit like bodybuilders oiling up to look good. I have a clubmate who does this.

Bigtwin

Unless he's just full of shite, that average must be on the track.

Or he includes the route recce he does in the car.

OP
OP
C

CyclingSAM

CyclingSAM said:
Good they can push me to the limits!

The owner said there Average is about 26MPH

But i am half there age.

But i am half there age he said they are top hard road cyclists[/quote]

Chrisz

Über Member
Bigtwin said:
Unless he's just full of shite, that average must be on the track.

Or he includes the route recce he does in the car.

Lydden is a race track!!! Used for motorcycles. motor cross etc. Tuesday nights is cycle night though ;)

Bigtwin

Chrisz said:

*Fog lifts*.

I've raced classic motorcycles there. Only once, but from what I remember, it's on a hill, which probably has some connection with the name.

I'd have thought that was a pretty high average speed even on the track, not that I have cycled round it?

Dave5N

Über Member
Sam,
how old are you?

If as I suspect you are a youth rider, you need a proper Go Ride club with coaches who will help you progress.TBH, if you are older, the same clubs will be able to sort you out.

Top Bottom