Cycle commuting is on the increase...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I wish the 'road bikers' whouldn't take offence to being passed by a fixed...:biggrin: it's flippin hard work trying to out run a road bike....:sad:

Had two this morning (both at same time), one of which chased for about 3 miles..... no wonder it was hard passing him - he was doing about 80 rpm in bottom gear..... my legs were spining like a wooden top...and I could hear a voice from my butt.... "fire in the hold"...... :ohmy:

Absolutely shattered when I got into work....

perplexed

Guru
I'd say commuting is on the up in Sheffield. Not bad considering that it is virtually impossible to anywhere for any great length of time without having to cycle up some ruddy great, long hill!

chap

Veteran
magnatom said:
..at least it is in Glasgow!

I've been cycle commuting since July 2005 and in those days I would hardly ever see another cyclist, even in the good weather. Oh how things have changed. The cycling shed at work is full (I keep mine in the office) and there are numerous bikes padlocked to railings. On my commute I see plenty of cyclists, some going in the same direction, plenty in other directions. Some on racing bikes, some on folders, some on MTBs, some on sit up and begs. Most on the roads, some on the pavements :smile:, none gong faster than me....:sad::smile:

Its brilliant! The more there are the better. Long may it continue!! :biggrin:

Anyone that cycles in Glasgow gains my respect, if not just for the alpine-like territory surrounding Sauchiehall street. Even cars have a hard time there :biggrin:

decca234uk

I've been using my bike for years to commute to work, It's always the same pattern, when the sun comes out there's more bikes out, but as soon as it disappears it's the same old cycling crowd every day. i can't say i've seen any increase.

The last 3 months (3 days a week though) it's rained once for a few minutes, and been wet (mist, lots of surface water) for 2 days. I shouldn't tell you this as the jinx fairy will come and get me.
There has been some seriously cold mornings, although the weather tends to be clear and the legs warm up quick enough.

magnatom said:
The cycling shed at work is full (I keep mine in the office) and there are numerous bikes padlocked to railings.

Years ago I used to put the old MTB outside, I'd never think about dragging it into the office, although some years after (when I wasn't able to cycle) a few others did. Now I take mine inside and because I get in first (out of just 2 others at most), I get the best and most prominent position inside :sad:

Looking at the commuter videos in the larger towns and cities... part of me doesn't want many other people to be cycling, the amount of "them" and the idiot ones as well.

Not that I have to worry *that* much since I'm a rural commuter.

NigC

Back to the normal today - I made a note of counting them this-morning, but I only needed one had..... there were 4 - and I'm being generous by counting a girl doing her paper-round.

Again, it's nice and bright but bitterly cold out there and I'm on the roads between 6:50 and 7:15am so maybe I'm missing the "crowds" :biggrin:

martint235

Dog on a bike
fossyant said:
I wish the 'road bikers' whouldn't take offence to being passed by a fixed...:biggrin: it's flippin hard work trying to out run a road bike....:biggrin:

I don't take offence at all. I usually find it quite funny, fixie comes past, legs flailing, I give him about 5 yards, select my next gear and sail past. Helps make my day. :biggrin:

Jezston

Über Member
There weren't this many cyclists around Nottingham and Derby last spring, I still felt pretty lonely this time last year but now there's tons of them. Most of them 'noobs' riding horrible looking mis-sized full-sus halfords specials on the pavement on the granny ring wearing hivis tabards. In fact most cyclists I see at the moment are on the pavement rather than on the road.

On the other hand, suddenly there's LOADS of people riding Dawes Super Galaxys of assorted eras. I see at least five of just that model on my commute, two in the pic below.

The train last night:
96cf6fa81672487f916ba4a0c37eb24b.jpg

Similarly busy this morning ... and then a buffet trolley turned up. Erk. Bit worried about how busy the train is getting, when 'officially' there is only supposed to be two bicycles allowed. Usually they don't mind but with people STILL taking the three folding seats in that bit of carriage who aren't with bikes, and not thinking "hmm there's not much room in here for all the bikes perhaps I should move to another seat elsewhere so my seat can be folded up and more room given to bikes and thus more room given to people trying to get past them", I'm worried the train company will decide to start enforcing their rule of two only and you have to book them that morning. That would be disasterous.

Also, see the silver full sus mtb in the foreground? What's with those bikes? There's another bloke who gets my train sometimes with a very similar bike - massive frame, no branding, weird paint effect on the silver part. The suspicious part of me thinks nicked and resprayed, but then both these two bikes I've seen have identical very distinct shape as well. Must weigh an absolute ton as well.

515mm

Have noticed more cyclists about at commuting times. A couple of new blokes my age (30's) who ride like they drive a car - red means stop - nice clear signals etc - you can tell they're newbies by their new matching kit (Specialized is a jolly popular brand isn't it?) and slight hesitations/lack of confidence around junctions. Passed one who was repairing a p*nct*r* last night - asked if he was ok - he appeared to be thoroughly enjoying himself, judging by the big silly grin on his face.

A couple of young ladies about now too - the one who listens to her iPod has stopped jumping when I overtake her now, at least.

There are two older blokes though, who soon will have accidents. One loves to take to the pavements to avoid stopping at red lights, or just plain RLJs and the other insists on filtering up the 'inside' of buses and lorries at junctions.

Oh, and to the three student types I saw on the Kingsway (Swansea), you will all be organ donors very soon. Riding at speed over a PEDESTRIAN CROSSING YOU TWAT in front of a stationary bus into the path of a fast moving bendy bus, who can't see you because his view of you is impaired, WILL GET YOU KILLED. Even if buses do have remarkably effective brakes and horns these days.
I tell you, my hand was reaching for the phone to fetch the ambulance.....

All new to my attention since Christmas. I think it's a fitness thing. There are also many more people running/speed walking/jogging until red in the face then walking:blush: exercise newbies about in general. Which is fantastic. 'Cos I used to be a porker and now I ain't and I feel great. Best of luck to them all. (Maybe not those 3 students though.........)

Goldie

Über Member
It seems far busier this year in the manc with bikes than it was last. And you're right 515 - there are more Specialized bikes about than you can shake a stick at. Their dealers must be working very hard, or they're superb bikes.

I quite like the way that in Manc, you get streams of bikes of distinctive types coming from the various burbs. My own chucks out three to five year old MTB's and high vis jackets. Chorlton produces a prodgious number of 30's to 50's cruisers with enormous bells (careful) and artfully distressed black paint. Wilsmlow Road is the home of lanky lads on thirty year old racers and, because that's what I like the best, extremely tricky for me to drive down without swerving all over the place

Helly79

Jezston said:
There weren't this many cyclists around Nottingham and Derby last spring, I still felt pretty lonely this time last year but now there's tons of them. Most of them 'noobs' riding horrible looking mis-sized full-sus halfords specials on the pavement on the granny ring wearing hivis tabards. In fact most cyclists I see at the moment are on the pavement rather than on the road.

On the other hand, suddenly there's LOADS of people riding Dawes Super Galaxys of assorted eras. I see at least five of just that model on my commute, two in the pic below.

The train last night:
96cf6fa81672487f916ba4a0c37eb24b.jpg

Similarly busy this morning ... and then a buffet trolley turned up. Erk. Bit worried about how busy the train is getting, when 'officially' there is only supposed to be two bicycles allowed. Usually they don't mind but with people STILL taking the three folding seats in that bit of carriage who aren't with bikes, and not thinking "hmm there's not much room in here for all the bikes perhaps I should move to another seat elsewhere so my seat can be folded up and more room given to bikes and thus more room given to people trying to get past them", I'm worried the train company will decide to start enforcing their rule of two only and you have to book them that morning. That would be disasterous.

Also, see the silver full sus mtb in the foreground? What's with those bikes? There's another bloke who gets my train sometimes with a very similar bike - massive frame, no branding, weird paint effect on the silver part. The suspicious part of me thinks nicked and resprayed, but then both these two bikes I've seen have identical very distinct shape as well. Must weigh an absolute ton as well.

It a shame they can't add another carriage expecially for cyclist and there bikes.

Jezston

Über Member
Well in fairness, this kind of turn out is VERY rare.

At least we don't have one of those trains where the only space for bikes is two very poorly designed single occupancy bike 'shelters' at the back of a five mile long train.

Agreed on the Specializeds - about half if not more of the bikes in the bike rack at work are Specialized, most of them Hard Rocks.

Goldie

Über Member
Can you buy shares in Specialized? I'm there is you can. It can't work out any worse than my grandad's inspired purchase of shares in Reliant...

Top Bottom