Cycle computers, essential accessory or extravagant extra?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bloodaxe

Hi all, me again!
I’m getting my new road bike next week and am trying to decide if I should get a cycle computer. Those friends for it say it’s a great tool with a cadence sensor and heart sensor, as it can help identify a good ride and workout etc. Those against say it’s a bit of a gimmick and can be a glorified sat nav! I’m looking at the Garmin Edge 820 bundle. Any help would be appreciated, either way!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Garmins are Sat Navs.
Even the most basic ones, like my Edge 200, allows the uploading of a route to follow on screen.
You can also upload to Strava (other sites are available) to see where you've been on a map.
If you only want to know distance and speed, a cycle computer like this is perfectly adequate.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Thanks for the replies. So are the cadence and heart monitors a waste of time, are they any use?

Id say so uness you are mega serious and training for the Olympics. It can take the fun out of cycling.
I just use MapMyRide app on the phone and only to record rides as @DCBassman says. I just like to track mileage really. Its fun to know your top and average speed on a ride too. You can get bogged down in detail. Your body will tell you if it's doing OK or not

13 rider

Guru
I use both a heart rate monitor and cadence monitor linked to a wahoo bolt . I like the heart rate as it lights up LEDs on the bolt and goes red when I'm going hard :surrender:. Cadence was a novelty to start with and did some training at set cadences but now it's ignored and just looked at post ride out of interest and nothing else . If your not training for anything you can do without both you don't need a heart meter to now your pushing on . You can get a GPS then add monitors later if you want . I would highly recommend a elemnt simple to use

snorri

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies. So are the cadence and heart monitors a waste of time, are they any use?
Not a waste of time for competitive enthusiasts who are happy to spend money on these things, but certainly not essential for anyone just wanting to improve their cycle fitness.
Personally, I would opt for a cheapo and see how things go. Whilst your fitness is building up, you will be gaining experience and learning with regard to the most suitable type of advanced model to buy, or not!

OP
OP
B

Bloodaxe

Id say so uness you are mega serious and training for the Olympics. It can take the fun out of cycling.
I just use MapMyRide app on the phone and only to record rides as @DCBassman says. I just like to track mileage really. Its fun to know your top and average speed on a ride too. You can get bogged down in detail. Your body will tell you if it's doing OK or not
Sensible advice me thinks! Thanks

I managed to buy a nearly new garmin 1000 with heart rate monitor of ebay for less than a garmin 520, I use it every time on my bike to keep a record of how I am progressing, I have also added a speed and candence sensor, I have not used the mapping side of it yet ,as they say it's horses for course's and only you can decide ,but I would recommend one

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I bought a cadence add-on for my Sigma, but the novelty quickly wore off.

As for a heart rate monitor, I'd prefer not to known what my heart is doing. :smile:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm a luddite with a cateye Strada wireless :smile:

That's cutting edge in my book - wireless sensors on a push bike. Whatever next? Real Luddites only fit Cateye Velo 5's - if they even allow computers on their bikes at all. I'm a half-arsed Luddite so I bought a Velo 7 for my Pioneer and am very pleased with it's no-nonsense functionality. It tells me the basics that are useful to know and it also looks cheap and low-profile, which means it isn't attractive to thieving scumbags.

But seriously, cyclists have managed to get around on bikes, and keep themselves fit on bikes, for over 100 years without needing to fit cycle computers, satnavs, or use smartphone tracking devices.
There seems to be this bizarre mentality out there now that you have to:-
1) Buy a new shiny bike when taking up (or returning to) cycling, even though a used one will do exactly the same job.
2) Kit yourself out in costly cycle-specific clothing, even though you are only going to ride 5 or 10 miles.
3) Start obsessing about all sorts of irrelevant nonsense such as heart rate and calories burned data.
Remember it's the old-fashioned bit that involves turning the pedals that gets you fitter, not how new and shiny your bike is, not what you wear whilst riding, and not whether you have a load of GPS data to analyse at home on your computer afterwards.

Top Bottom