Cycle computers, essential accessory or extravagant extra?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Depends what you want it for - you can get an app for your phone that will do a lot of what a Garmin (or Wahoo) would
And some things that a GPS won't do, like spoken turn by directions.

@Bloodaxe, I'd start with using your phone, either safely in a bag or well protected on the handlebars, and install an app or 2. Strava, endomondo, osmand. Then after a little while, you will know better what you need, and can get a dedicated unit, if that suits you better.

(I've managed to record more than 50,000km without feeling the need for a separate unit, but lots of people love them. )

Aravis

Putrid Donut
It's pretty simple to my eyes. What wouldn't I give to have a detailed account of every ride I did through the 1970s, 80s, 90s, and more recently for that matter? Since taking the plunge with the very modestly-priced Garmin Edge 200 a couple of years ago, and subsequently upgrading to the 520 (I run them in parallel) I've regarded such technology as essential.

Nowadays I don't do speed, but there was a time when I used to pass many more than passed me. When the youngsters breeze past I mutter that when I was their age I'm sure I was much faster than them. Had recording by GPS been around I could find out if it's true.

Dbt

I use strava on my phone, the free version as it does what I need. I never look at it while I’m riding, it’s more as an interest thing to see what I did, distance, average speed etc. I’ve recently also stared to use map my ride as you can follow other peoples routes. Never used it for that purpose yet but I’ve found a couple of rides that I’d like to do. All free apps on my phone. I do keep my rides private to me, as these apps are quite liberal in how they share your info.

I'm not riding any faster, slower or further without it.
and if you were you wouldn't know :laugh:
Like a couple of others have said, I use free apps on my phone, just to record speeds/distance etc. - Strava and Map my Ride are my current faves, I like mmr cos it pauses quicker thereby giving me faster averages :smile: (also it shows way more calories being burned, which means I'm allowed extra beer right? Right? :smile: :smile: )
Strava gives lots more sections of road that others have recorded so you can see how much faster everyone else is. Which, if nothing else proves that in my head I'm competitive, but unfortunately not in my legs!

Alan O

Über Member
I think there's been a lot of good advice in this thread so far, but I might as well throw in a few thoughts...

The answer is going to vary enormously from cyclist to cyclist (he says, helpfully). For me, I love being able to track my rides and keep a record of everywhere I've been, and I really wish we'd had the technology in my youth. I'd love to be able to retrace old routes in particular - after months of pondering (and thrown by some road changes), I've only just managed to work out one of my regular routes from years ago.

But I don't want to see a constant readout of things in front of me. When I'm riding, I want to be looking at the great outdoors and not at a computer display, and I find a speed or distance display distracting. In fact, when I resumed cycling a couple of years ago, I got a handlebar-mounted computer at first. But after a couple of months I took it off, as it was annoying me.

For tracking, I mainly use the Strava app on my iPhone, which I carry in my bag (with a USB battery pack, as its battery life isn't great otherwise). I might check my distance at rest stops, but I mainly ignore it until I get home and upload the data. Very occasionally I'll use it for GPS directions (though usually I know my routes or I'm with other people who do), and for that I have a top-tube bag which carries the phone and the battery pack.

I also have a fitbit watch with GPS/HR which I generally wear anyway, and I use that for tracking short rides (usually when I'm not carrying a bag). I can sync rides from that with Strava too. I mainly use it for keeping a check on my overall daily activity generally rather than specifically cycling, including HR recording as I keep a check on that for health reasons.

I have no interest in cadence monitoring, as I've no idea what I could possibly do with it - my legs do the cadence on their own, with no conscious input from me. I can see that it can be useful for some, especially competitive cyclists, who might benefit from optimising their cadence - but I can't see it being very useful for most leisure cyclists. Some people link up power monitors too, but again I don't see that as much use for most leisure cyclists.

And, I've just remembered someone who sometimes rides with the same group as me. He has a wireless computer, but carries it in his pocket rather than mounted on his bars - like me, he uses it for tracking and doesn't want directions and live monitoring.

And, finally, sorry for the unexpected amount of waffle!

Milzy

Guru
You need HRM for structured training. Keeping in zones for set periods of times and then to make sure you stay low on long slow endurance rides and recovery rides. It’s cheap and easy if you don’t have an expensive power meter.
Then you can see your suffer score and fitness level changes and over training signs.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use the Garmin to record rides and just ignore it - it's difficult to follow a 'map' off road as the bike is bouncing around. I have a 200 and a 705 - the 705 is used the most, and I recently changed the battery. Easy to use with muddy gloves !

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies. So are the cadence and heart monitors a waste of time, are they any use?

You’ve said your 55 and returning to cycling to get fitter. Only one thing will help you get fitter and that’s your own motivation to exercise and diet.

l’m 64 and had a heart attack 2.5 years ago. I find HRM very useful as it allows me to monitor my heart rate during a ride. I know the HR I expect to achieve under any given circumstances, if this varies from the norm it gives me an indicator if I’m over doing things. It’s also good to understand the amount of work one is doing but not to obsess over it. For people of our age keeping an eye on HR is sensible.

I use a Garmin Vivoactive HR to do this and also record my rides.

I’ve used cadence in the past, I wouldn’t bother again.

Friends swear by using a power meter and I’m considering getting one but I’m a long way off deciding.

si_c

Guru
I find a dedicated computer to be very useful, not essential, but certainly valuable. The display is generally easier to read than that of a phone, and for navigating unfamiliar areas it's great.

That said on most of my rides I don't pay a huge amount of attention to it, other than to occasionally look at the time or distance ridden, and I don't feel that it unduly influences the way that I ride. It definitely did when I first got it, but not any more.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Maybe naive curiosity on my part and I’m still in the honeymoon zone with my HRM and cadence stats.

My interests are turbo training purely to keep the walrus at bay and to help my fitness levels so I can enjoy my Audax rides. I have been able to find my cadence sweet spot, where my body can work for many hours fairly efficiently. Without it, I would still be experimenting. I have also been able to discover where my HR zones lie so that I can pace myself on these longer rides. I’m still a sucker for working too hard in the first half.

I guess with fitness, time, experience and longer Audax events, these may become less necessary as I begin to learn to ‘feel’ where my cadence and HR is. But for now they are essentials.

Alan O

Über Member
I have also been able to discover where my HR zones lie so that I can pace myself on these longer rides.
Actually, a couple of things I have been cheered by from keeping a regular check on my HR (I've had a heart attack, which makes me especially interested) are how my Max HR has been increasing along with my riding capacity, and how my recorded HR has been getting lower for the same kind of rides. It's becoming noticeably harder to get my HR up to peak zone.

Tin Pot

Guru
You don’t need anything, most functionality is available in smartphones anyway.

As for what you want, some feedback is nice so just put a price limit on it accordingly and buy the one you like the look of.

bpsmith

Veteran
You technically don’t need a bike, unless it’s solely as a means of transport for journeys you would otherwise need a vehicle due to not having the time to walk.

The reality is, not many of us use our bikes solely for journeys that are absolutely required.

Top Bottom