Cycle Computers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All

Looking at purchasing a decent cycle computer to help with my training. Any recommendations? Have been looking at the Cateye Strada but are there any others I should consider? I can't justify purchasing a garmin at the moment though.

Thanks in anticipation.

GuardTwin

I've used a basic computer that has a magnet on the wheel passing the sensor which does your speed and distance in KM or MI, that is just as good to keep track but keep the information as estimated. I personally will buy a garmin later on next year but that is for my own reasons. Use what you feel comfortable with is the rule.

Also google alot of the products you're thinking to buy and youtube them, don't rush into the cheapest because it might not always be that great and think about mounting.

LimeBurn

Über Member
I've had a few cycle computers, ranging from cheap as chips to midrange wireless once, over the years and and they've all done their job fairly well and its great to see your mileage racking up but about 6 months ago I started to be a little more serious about getting better on the bike and losing weight. So I purchased a garmin edge 510 with sensor pack and its a complete revelation, expensive yes but I just wouldn't be without one now so much so that I lost mine a week ago (was in a rucksack I lost so not garmins fault) and so I ordered another straight away. It arrived in the post yesterday so am now a happy bunny again. My advice is if you feel you're serious enough and will buy one eventually anyway then save for it now and just get the one you want.

Mile195

Veteran
You'll find the choice mind-boggling, but you get what you pay for.

I've had a few over the years, most from the "low end", and all of them were cr*p and stopped working properly after a very short time.

My current one is different though - I currently have a Sigma 1609 which has been on for 3 years with absolutely no problems. I have the cadence sensor option as well. Sadly it doesn't do heart rate though. They've come down in price alot. I think they're only about £30 now, plus £25 for the cadence sensor if you want it.

I'm sure many other people will also have recommendations, so see which ones have all the functionality you need and people have found reliable, then filter them by price. If you just put "Cycle computer" into a search engine, you won't know where to start!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I started with Cateye wired, then Strada wireless on the road bike. After a Summer 'incident' I needed to log my walking and riding, so bought a Garmin 200. A subsequent incident meant needing to monitor heart rate, so I upgraded to a 500.
It depends what you want. For basic how far/how fast, a Strada or similar is great. Bit of you want that bit of extra playtime, and start tracking progess with Strava (or similar), the Garmin is the way to go.
FWIW, my 300 mile old Garmin 200 is in the classifieds at the moment (shameless plug..)

Leodis

Veteran
Just in the starting process of looking at a GPS unit, something I can upload to Strava with, use on the turbo trainer and use as navigation on the road, probs going Garmin 810 or something.

LimeBurn

Über Member
Just in the starting process of looking at a GPS unit, something I can upload to Strava with, use on the turbo trainer and use as navigation on the road, probs going Garmin 810 or something.
I was going to go for the 810 but had heard that its waterproofness wasn't great and with the price difference opted for the 510 instead - the maps function wouldnt really be of use to me as I normally know where I am anyway and Ive always got my smartphone on me if the worse happens.

cbs

If you don't need maps, I found the Bryton Rider 20 to be a great little unit, small, neat, ANT+ for HR, cadence and speed. It has a rechargeable battery with a good life too. Cost is similar to the Garmin 200, but the Bryton does more.
I currently use a Bryton Rider 50, which is pretty good, but not great - my wife had it, but couldn't get on with it and replaced it with a Garmin 800. To be honest the Garmin is so much better than the Bryton at this level, but again it is much more expensive.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Before my garmin I had a bryton 40,did me fine, a few software issues , but good sound bit of kit, but it's not a garmin

Leodis

Veteran
I was going to go for the 810 but had heard that its waterproofness wasn't great and with the price difference opted for the 510 instead - the maps function wouldnt really be of use to me as I normally know where I am anyway and Ive always got my smartphone on me if the worse happens.

I have been running my Sony Xperia as its waterproof but with Endomodo running it zaps the life out of it, might get 40 miles if I am lucky.

LimeBurn

Über Member
I have been running my Sony Xperia as its waterproof but with Endomodo running it zaps the life out of it, might get 40 miles if I am lucky.
Yeah before I committed to my Garmin I used endomondo on my HTC one X but as you say battery life wasn't great and the last thing I wanted was to end up in an emergency situation and need my phone only to find out that it had been run dry tracking my ride. I still use endomondo along with Garmin Connect & Strava but it just updates them all when I get home from my garmin so the only extra battery consumption while out on a ride is the bluetooth connection used for weather updates.

GPS tend to work on movement between two points, so aren't so hot on trainers

IIRC ( and I am happy to be corrected) the Garmin series can measure speed, cadence and heart rate on a trainer if you switch the GPS off

You can then load up this data and display as a function of time. Distance will always however be zero

Top Bottom