cycle computers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bygone era

Über Member
can anyone recommend a reliable 1 button computer for the bike or is it worth getting a garmin or eqivalant never used a garmin before always relied on paper maps me and technology don't mix lol

wisdom

Guru
I have cateye wireless ones on 2 of the 3 bikes they do fine for me.

broady

Veteran
I have a Garmin but most of my bikes are fitted with a cateye micro wireless as these are perfect, always ready, trip computers without any complications. Trickiest part is setting the wheel size when first fitting but that isn't too hard really.

Why don't you just put a Garmin mount on all your bikes and just use the Garmin?
That was a real benefit from going from the old cateye to Garmin for me

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Why don't you just put a Garmin mount on all your bikes and just use the Garmin?
That was a real benefit from going from the old cateye to Garmin for me
Garmin has to be swapped from bike to bike, charged, switched on in advance (once outdoors) to allow time for satellite acquisition, remember to press start to record ride and save once finished, removed from bike if left anywhere less secure than Fort Knox and can be a bit flakey on distance accuracy if signal strength is compromised.
I only really got mine to use for navigation purposes in unknown areas, otherwise wouldn't have bothered as the traditional wheel sensor bike computer is stupidly simple, very reliable and might need a new battery once a year.

wisdom

Guru
Garmin has to be swapped from bike to bike, charged, switched on in advance (once outdoors) to allow time for satellite acquisition, remember to press start to record ride and save once finished, removed from bike if left anywhere less secure than Fort Knox and can be a bit flakey on distance accuracy if signal strength is compromised.
I only really got mine to use for navigation purposes in unknown areas, otherwise wouldn't have bothered as the traditional wheel sensor bike computer is stupidly simple, very reliable and might need a new battery once a year.
That's my take on it too.It records distance and speed that's all I need.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Decathlon do a very cheap B'Twin wired cycle computer. IIRC they are £7.99. I bought one recently for my pub bike since I couldn't find any Cateye Velo 7's on special offer from chain reaction. The Cateye has a better, more positive mounting of the head unit though. The B'Twin can be dislodged from it's bracket by any clumsiness.

Top Bottom