Cycle-cops - can they run red lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
lol ... I don't know, but the image of bike-bobbies with blue lights on their heads shouting nee-narr-nee-narr whilst running a red light has just raised a giggle ... :ohmy:

Keith Oates

Janner
If they are running a red light because they are chasing someone I doubt they will have sufficient breath to make any other noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I wouldn't have a problem if they did if they were obviously responding to a problem but they shouldn't just amble through a red light thinking it doesn't apply to them.

To be honest although I've seen a fair number around, I've never actually seen them chasing anyone on their bikes,

TWBNK

I think legally the answer may be no. IIRC the current legislation relates to powered vehicles. However it is sometimes necessary to 'break the law' to uphold the law and I imagine that is how they would get away with it.

There are cycle specific blue lights and sirens. Not much use at all.

thomas

the tank engine
Krypton said:
Do they have lights / siren and can they run red lights like cop cars/vans?

Just wondered ...

I've seen one with blues and twos...it looks like one of those weird bigygencals indicators (or how ever you spell the brand name)

I often see the Norwich Police Cycle patrol out and about at around 11pm on a Friday night, and they don't even have the legally required front and rear lights or the rear red and front white reflectors fitted on their bicycles when they are patrolling at night.

Ste T.

Guru
I would doubt it. Blue&twos that you could carry on a bicycle wouldn't be strong enough to warn approaching traffic in a large fast flowing junction. The scenario where a lorry swerves to avoid the RLJing bobby and ploughs into a bus stop full of kids and mums is one they would find it hard to get out of. Though of course it must be admitted that the police do, as a rule of thumb , get away with murder/homicide on the times that it happens.

Jezston

Über Member
What ARE the mountain-bike-bobbies for anyway? Meeting some kind of targets?

The fact someone thought knobbly-tired mountain bikes would be a suitable bicycle for riding on streets suggests they certainly aren't for chasing people.

yello

TWBNK said:
I think legally the answer may be no.

Inclined to agree with that. I don't think legally police can break any law at all; road or otherwise. I'm sure there are serving officers on the forum that can tell us the facts but I believe they have to form fill whenever they have knowingly, and with cause, broken a law or triggered a speed camera, etc etc etc. It may be just that there is no punishment that follows.

TWBNK

Jezston said:
What ARE the mountain-bike-bobbies for anyway? Meeting some kind of targets?

The fact someone thought knobbly-tired mountain bikes would be a suitable bicycle for riding on streets suggests they certainly aren't for chasing people.

But, how many people run away on streets alone? They may be expecting the exciting stuff like riding down steps and through parks and what not.

I think generally the idea is for chasing people on foot.

I saw a great video where a police bike started chasing a courier who had failed to stop, yes the knobbly tyres appeared to be a drawback and the courier must have been chuckling to himself as he pulled away.

However he failed to realise the police have radios and it was soon over once the vans entered the chase.

Jezston said:

Isn't the point that your average mugger isn't going to run down the street, is he now? He's gonna duck off down an alleyway or through a park or something - when a road bike would be as useless as a chocolate teapot.

If they're meant to chase cars, busses or misbehaving cyclists then a road bike would be good but that's not what they are for, I don't think.

battered

Guru
The police are subject to the same laws as the rest of us. That said, if they have to junp a light in order to do their job, then they will,knowing that they are still accountable if there is a collision.

If a plod on a blue light run gets camerad, he's in the clear provided it's not excessive, justified by circumstances, etc. If not on an emergency run then he can see a ticket or a disciplinary hearing.

I think the MTB police are great, there are a few in Leeds. They are very effective at silently and quickly patrolling housing estates where there are kerbs, grassy areas and so on. The spotty youths doing deals on street corners are less enamoured.

TWBNK

HLaB said:
After reading this thread I thought I'd google; police cyclists siren. Apart from being annoying they don't seem that effective IMO.

A loud bell could be better, did you notice that they had flashing blue lights as well?

When I did my training run I was [shudder] made to use that siren thingy.

Top Bottom