cycle cross bike ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jnrmczip

Hi Guys,

so after spending just under a year on my entry level road bike i have been looking into buying a cycle-cross bike which i think may benefit me more for my commute as some of the roads and paths are terrible and would like to be able to cut along the canal and and through parks and so on.

any pointers on cycle-cross bikes would be appreciated below are the 3 i have been looking at any advice welcome or any suggestions on other bikes to consider

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Cross-Race-2015-Cyclocross-Bike_74588.htm

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-TCX-SLR-2-2015-Cyclocross-Bike_73783.htm

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-TCX-SLR-1-2015-Cyclocross-Bike_73782.htm

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
When I was looking into it I decided that there wasn't any difference in choosing a cx from a road bike. Try them out and see what you feel right on.

I liked the feel of the cannondale caadx

lesley_x

Über Member
My husband has the cube and really likes it.

Cx have a higher bb and I got caught out buying a TCX where the bb drop was really small and therefore not suitable for my type of riding. I believe giant have now dropped the bb on the new TCX though as of 2014. It was a poor choice of bike on my part and on the shops part!

Recently bought a genesis croix de fer and loving it so far. I looked up the geometry of my road bike which fits me perfect and compared it to various frames to try to get a reasonably close match.

It depends what you want to do but the range of gears on an out and out cyclocross is more limited, it will have the higher bb making it a bit twitchy and often a shorter top tube. That's why I have gone for something which is more road like in gearing and geometry and it suits me much better

Also consider if you might want to use racks/mudguards in future as many crossers don't have these mounts.

OP
OP
jnrmczip

jnrmczip

When I was looking into it I decided that there wasn't any difference in choosing a cx from a road bike. Try them out and see what you feel right on.

I liked the feel of the cannondale caadx

thank you for the advice i will go to the lbs and try a few out see what feels comfy.

My husband has the cube and really likes it.

Cx have a higher bb and I got caught out buying a TCX where the bb drop was really small and therefore not suitable for my type of riding. I believe giant have now dropped the bb on the new TCX though as of 2014. It was a poor choice of bike on my part and on the shops part!

Recently bought a genesis croix de fer and loving it so far. I looked up the geometry of my road bike which fits me perfect and compared it to various frames to try to get a reasonably close match.

It depends what you want to do but the range of gears on an out and out cyclocross is more limited, it will have the higher bb making it a bit twitchy and often a shorter top tube. That's why I have gone for something which is more road like in gearing and geometry and it suits me much better

Also consider if you might want to use racks/mudguards in future as many crossers don't have these mounts.

Thank you for the advice as my entry level road bike was a GIANT and has never let me down i have been leaning towards that brand but will keep my options open and go try out some different bikes and watch out for the fit. I will also keep in mind the point about racks and so on at a later date as i want to try cover some miles in summer the north cost 500 to be precise.

Norry1

Legendary Member
My everyday bike is a CaadX 105 2012. I got it second hand on New Year's Day 2013. I've done over 5,000 miles on it and love it. It's done canal towpath miles, an Alps tour (Alp D'Huez etc) and 2 RideLondon's at over 20mph average - so pretty versatile :smile:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
My personal opinion is this - dont buy cantis in this day and age. Get a disc equipped model.

My personal faves are the Genesis Croix de fer (I've been riding mine for a year and a half), and the Kinesis CX frames. The Kinesis are often much higher spec'd alu frames with carbon forks but they do carbon frames too. Do you need carbon on the commute? I'm doubtful.

I have a canti equipped Kinesis in the shed but the Genesis gets used daily. I've put the Croix through hell and back, all weathers, all roads. Recently had to get the BB and wheels changed, plus the gears and chain... but you have to remember I've done about 8000 miles on them so not so bad.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We have a Planet X XLS CX and a Whyte Kings Cross CX between us. Both have disc brakes which are much more efficient at stopping in the wet and mud. For that reason, I would suggest one of the Giants that you posted rather than the Cube.
My entry level roadie was a Giant Defy 2 and it never let me down, I'd buy another if I needed one.

cazwood

Regular
This is my bike:

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Specialized-Crux-Sport-Disc-E5-7100-52-0.html

On a very good offer from my lbs

Love the sram shifters and the disc brakes are good in all conditions. It feels safe for some reason. My son is always nicking it though. He loves it too.

lesley_x

Über Member
My personal opinion is this - dont buy cantis in this day and age. Get a disc equipped model.

My personal faves are the Genesis Croix de fer (I've been riding mine for a year and a half), and the Kinesis CX frames. The Kinesis are often much higher spec'd alu frames with carbon forks but they do carbon frames too. Do you need carbon on the commute? I'm doubtful.

I have a canti equipped Kinesis in the shed but the Genesis gets used daily. I've put the Croix through hell and back, all weathers, all roads. Recently had to get the BB and wheels changed, plus the gears and chain... but you have to remember I've done about 8000 miles on them so not so bad.

Agreed! I had mini vs on my TCX and they caused me no end of trouble. They would squeal, make horrible grinding noises and required constant adjustment even during rides - the muck renders them useless so easily. I feel much safer with discs to be honest.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Agreed! I had mini vs on my TCX and they caused me no end of trouble. They would squeal, make horrible grinding noises and required constant adjustment even during rides - the muck renders them useless so easily. I feel much safer with discs to be honest.
ahhh yes. Mini Vs. Put them on the Jake once. Took them back off after a day. Even with a pulley adapter

Top Bottom