Cycle GPS/Sat-nav apps, without the price tag?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mile195

Veteran
I'm planning a big trip this summer and want to map out my exact route before I go. Thanks to a very helpful cycle-chatter, I have now found a website where I can plan the route and create a GPX file out of it.

However, does anybody have any suggestions for iPhone apps that can take this route and plot it out on a map, then act as a sat nav. I haven't the money to shell out for a bike-specific GPS unit such as a Garmin Edge. I just want an app I can use on my existing phone.

I'm already using the BikeHub app, and have a couple of OS based mapping apps, but none support importing a .GPX file to guide you along a pre-determined route.

Any suggestions?

Davidc

Guru
I think there's an iOS version of the one I use on an Android phone. It's called Bikecomputer pro.

It has several map options, one of which is for an offline map so it's there with no phone network signal, will display imported GPX file tracks at the same time as displaying the current track and position, and has a good selection of display options as a GPS based computer.

To get all the functions you'll want it needs the paid-for version, but at under £4 (for the Android version) it was a lot less than any of the bike specific devices.

(The offline map files are quite big which doesn't bother me with 32GB of memory, but do check that you have enough spare on your phone)

Using off line maps saves data charges

However GPS and screen use for navigation can eat batteries

It is probably worthwhile getting a cheap backup battery as well

Davidc

Guru
Using off line maps saves data charges

However GPS and screen use for navigation can eat batteries

It is probably worthwhile getting a cheap backup battery as well
I bought a rechargeable one from ebay, has about half the quoted capacity (oh what a shock) but keeps the phone going for up to 14 hours.

OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
I have a look for that app - thanks!

I've got a "mophie" extended battery. It puts about 70% back into the phone from empty, so I'd probably get about 3.5-4 hours continuous navigation from full (my bluetooth and wi-fi are usually off, and screen brightness turned down which makes a hell of a difference). There'll be sections where the route should be straightforward and I can turn it off, or at least that's my expectation.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
You could also get a solar charger and hang it off a rucksack or panniers and then use it to recharge the phone battery, have a look at Solar Technology's Freeloader plus the super charger or Power Monkey.

Sadly, they're not as good as they're often reported to be, ime & ymmv. I personally wouldn't have a plan that relied on them delivering.

Especially in the UK!

They need bright sunlight to be worthwhile

I have kept the phones charged for a week with the Solar Monkey, but that hasn't been possible for the last few years

However the Power Monkey system can charge from the mains as well.... That makes it a workable option

MockCyclist

I've tried a few iPhone apps. My favourite one is Motion-X GPS. It works with .gpx files,and the standard map that they call MotionX Road is actually Open Street Map, or MotionX Terrain, which is actually Open Cycle Map. It caches the maps on the iPhone, all you do is define an area bounded by your route and download the maps at home before you depart.

Bear in mind that it doesn’t work like s sat-nav in a car, with direction instructions. It's up to you to follow the route by watching your progress against your pre-planned route.

Getting your route file into the app is easy, you can e-mail it to yourself from your pc, then open the attachment in the app on the iPhone.

Top Bottom