Cycle gps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike-6424

Can anyone help I want to get a cycle gps for my road bike in the new year but not sure which one to get
I've had a look at the garmin edge 800 or the Mio cycle gps?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What do you want one for?
Do you want a computer for training/riding information or do you want one for mapping?

The 800 does everything you will ever need and more. HRM, cadence, training & ride information but with mapping included.

If you don't want/need mapping then the 500 is the way to go.
If you don't want/need HRM & Cadence then the 200 is the option.

OP
OP
Mike-6424

Mike-6424

Thanks for the reply I'm getting coached with my club so I'll probably go for the 800 to help with training and mapping.

david k

Hi
Can anyone help I want to get a cycle gps for my road bike in the new year but not sure which one to get
I've had a look at the garmin edge 800 or the Mio cycle gps?
i use a garmin edge 800 and forerunner 110XT

the edge is way above what i need but its a great toy

Markymark13

I bought a 500 on Friday. Took it out for a 40 mile spin yesterday and it is brilliant. Some of the information it gives is very helpful. HR & cadence work brilliantly as well. They were reduced in Evans, and although I was going to go for the 800, but could not justify the extra costs, plus it is a little bigger and not sure that the touchscreen would suit me. The 500 is a cracking unit.

RWright

Guru
I bought a 500 on Friday. Took it out for a 40 mile spin yesterday and it is brilliant. Some of the information it gives is very helpful. HR & cadence work brilliantly as well. They were reduced in Evans, and although I was going to go for the 800, but could not justify the extra costs, plus it is a little bigger and not sure that the touchscreen would suit me. The 500 is a cracking unit.

I got a new 500 I just tried it out last night. My eyes are not as good as they once were and I wish I had bought the 800 for the larger screen. It was hard for me to justify double the price for the 800 but I think I am going to see if they will let me exchange mine for the 800. I think the touch screen might be a little easier for me to operate and the mapping would be a bonus if I ever needed it. The extra price would also get me HRM and cadence.

I only used it once. If they don't let me exchange it, that is fine, I can live with the 500.

Markymark13

Have you tried reducing the number of data fields on each screen (think you can reduce it down to 3) and increasing the number of data screens (you can have up to five I think). This would increase text size without loosing info.

The full packages with HR & cadence were on offer over here, much more cost effective.

RWright

Guru
Have you tried reducing the number of data fields on each screen (think you can reduce it down to 3) and increasing the number of data screens (you can have up to five I think). This would increase text size without loosing info.

The full packages with HR & cadence were on offer over here, much more cost effective.

No I have not tried that yet. I am still very much a novice with it. I will certainly give that a try. I also have a problem with the angle the unit is facing on one of my bikes, it is a little more upright than I would like. I will work on rearranging that on that particular bike and try your suggestion before I make a decision. Thanks for bringing that up.

RWright

Guru
500 is looking better already, I found the display settings and cranked the backlight up to max, it helped a lot. Now I have to try it in the sunlight today. I still have some more tweaking to do. I fixed the angle I had it on the bike also. I am feeling better about getting the 500 now, still not sure what I am going to do but it looks much better now. Thanks Markymark.

If it's not for training but just for, er, finding your way around I can recommend the Garmin Etrex 20 - might save yourself a bit as well.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I use a Satmap, but I only using it for following routes or tracking my mileage if going on a wander. It does track your time, speed, elavation and descents. No heart rate monitor or cadence on it though.

Is expensive though for just a bike computer. (Comes into its own as a GPS unit when walking)

Top Bottom