Cycle helmet article in local paper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MartinC

Über Member
Yup, not a bad article as they go. Lots of opinion, not many facts, usual motorist whinge. Thought the headline was spot on though.

domtyler

Über Member
Not bad save for whining Kristina:

Motorist Kristina Cornwell, of Stanley Webb Close, Sawston, said she thought all cyclists should wear helmets.

She added: "Why is it that drivers are fined for not protecting themselves by not wearing a seatbelt when a cyclist can ride around with no helmet on and not face punishment?"

Awww, poor diddums, it just not fair is it Kristina? :evil:

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

domtyler said:
Awww, poor diddums, it just not fair is it Kristina? :smile:

I did wonder what qualified her to comment on cycling, until when I read more carefully I discerned that she is 'a motorist'.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Phil Rennie, road safety publicity officer for the county council, said
possible reasons for cyclists not choosing to wear helmets as image, laziness, inconvenience, ignorance or a lack of understanding and that compliance is after all voluntary and not a legal requirement.

I would say Phil you have the lack of understanding and should do some more research.

atbman

Veteran
Kristina Cornwell's expertise is obviously greater than thaht of Dr. Mayer Hilman (not sure about spelling). His research showed that, in about 92% of cases where a cyclist had suffered a fatal head injury, they would have died anyway, even if there had been no head injury, because the kind of collsion forces which cause such damage, lead to the rider suffering other injuries which were also fatal.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Cab said:
I did wonder what qualified her to comment on cycling, until when I read more carefully I discerned that she is 'a motorist'.

Is this her quote as well?

"A high percentage of cyclists who die when involved in an accident are actually the result of head injuries. This statistic alone should be enough to enforce a law that makes helmets for cyclists compulsory."

And how come she'd so interested/knowledgeable?:blush:

Also If she gets hot under the collar because she could get fined for not wearing her seatbelt then I'd say she wasn't the best representative for road safety in the first place!:smile:

Cab said:

'cos it does!

This is a classic - "it is up to them to protect themselves when I hit them"

Top Bottom